Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another huge game from the Worp last night. I was shocked when we called out Ainsworth's name instead of Worpel/Constable. Did you guys hear anything about him refusing to leave Victoria in his draft interviews?
Was a Cat to the core. They had 3 chances to pick him and still passed. He's making them pay now.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another huge game from the Worp last night. I was shocked when we called out Ainsworth's name instead of Worpel/Constable. Did you guys hear anything about him refusing to leave Victoria in his draft interviews?

No way he refused to go interstate.

If you watched the video of the moment he was drafted his family were stoked he stayed in VIC but you got the impression he was more then happy to leave.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
I don't think he is getting enough recognition in the media for what an unbelievable year he is having for a bloke in his second season. Remarkable really.
Good point. When everyone is understanding of a player having second year blues, to see someone go the other way and leap into top midfielder status in their second year is really rare.

He's looking a lot better in close, still racking it up. Couldn't ask for more.

View attachment 691969 Worpel the Worpedo....Least damaging mids....
If you're in your second year and you're in alist that contains these people, you, sir, are a gun.

1560568863012.png

I don't think he is getting enough recognition in the media for what an unbelievable year he is having for a bloke in his second season. Remarkable really.
Would probably be a two horse race with Walsh for the Rising Star award if Worpel had maintained eligibility (Had played 11 games when he needed to be on 10 games or less)

being compared to Gaff and Oliver is a huge honour, anyone who disagrees is a moron, sorry...
Just saw someone on the mainboard saying that unlike Hawthorn in 2004 we don’t have any young players of the same calibre as Mitchell or Hodge.

Which kinda true you know, but ...

Here’s Worp’s second year stats vs Sam Mitchell’s.

970F38A3-12B9-48FD-B5FC-760769143487.jpeg

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just saw someone on the mainboard saying that unlike Hawthorn in 2004 we don’t have any young players of the same calibre as Mitchell or Hodge.

Which kinda true you know, but ...

Here’s Worp’s second year stats vs Sam Mitchell’s.

View attachment 693036
I legit wanna see footage of the hitout Mitchell did

Just for shits and giggles here’s Worps second season against two of the most hyped young mids the game has ever seen.

Joel Selwood and then Bontempelli. Remember when these two were having these season people were passing out in the stands at how magnificent they were for their age.

F978C7F2-E87B-4A3E-8E9E-B06C75EA8F46.jpeg

0AE11375-F121-44E8-843A-B73055A67FED.jpeg

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Love how he’s taking it up on himself to lift all the while playing only handful of games plus no Mitch!! Once our system is working, weed out the cloggers and have some more talent in the guts, then Worps will be even better imo. It took Jordy till 25-26 to mature as a player and become a gun, before that he was very good but flakey with form.

:rolleyes:

Yeah Worpel isn't that good. Charlie Constable is getting similar numbers and Geelong dropped him to work on areas of his game.

Good young player but calm your ****.

Just for ****s and giggles here’s Worps second season against two of the most hyped young mids the game has ever seen.

Joel Selwood and then Bontempelli. Remember when these two were having these season people were passing out in the stands at how magnificent they were for their age.

View attachment 693050

View attachment 693051
Three things jump straight to mind:

1/ Will be interesting to see if Worps can maintain it through all games.
2/ Needs to work on where he's giving away the frees.
3/ Needs to work on his ruckwork.

Three things jump straight to mind:

1/ Will be interesting to see if Worps can maintain it through all games.
2/ Needs to work on where he's giving away the frees.
3/ Needs to work on his ruckwork.
I don’t think he will maintain it through all games, as we are simply asking too much of a guy with less than 25 games to his name.

He will almost certainly fade.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Jeez going to have to merge this with the head****** thread...

He is already copping the Tom Mitchell treatment with 'touches mean nothing because he has no impact'.

Well i guess we just gotta wait for him to break a leg before people finally start to rate him...

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am sure if we had a firing Buddy, Roughy and Rioli in our fwd 50 Worpels involvement in scoring chains would be through the roof. Dumb stat to base the article on. We struggle to score full stop!

Was the shining light on the weekend.

Last edited:
I don’t think he will maintain it through all games, as we are simply asking too much of a guy with less than 25 games to his name.

He will almost certainly fade.
He did a bit before the bye, clearly the break did him good, be interesting to see how long he goes before tiring again

I thought he was good, and used the ball better than his numbers would have suggested. He was often kicking low to a leading player that simply didn't read the ball well enough and it got cut off.

We need to start presenting at the ball carrier a hell of a lot better.

Back