AFL Toast Rnd 13: Win against the Hawkes

Remove this Banner Ad

Some Hawks’ fans genuinely believe they’re in the race for Coniglio. Once they become bottom four club no one will go there.

Good win and really should have been by 8 goals or so. Loved the way we worked them out, didn’t panic with their possession game. Their high possession count was manly from their dinky passes.

Defence was great again, surely now one of the best in the league. Big test next week though
If Cog’s goes anywhere it will be home to WA I believe.

Only got to see about 15 mins of the first and last qtr so can't really comment on the game itself.
Great to get a good win, would have been nice if we could have finished it off a bit better. From the bits I saw Saad was awesome, Hooker was a rock and Parish was working his arse off.

Two passages of play that summed up Langford as a player for me; half way through the first when the HAwks had had the ball locked in their fwd half there was a ball-up inside their 50. The ball comes out to Langford who had at least 5 meters of space but he just panic kicks and it goes out on the full resulting in another Hawks fwd entry - he had time/space to find an option but he just doesn't process the game/have spatial awareness when there's lots of players/pressure around.
In the last qtr he worked he tail off first up and then across the ground as the high-half forward, eventually being the outlet for a switch of play where he delivered the ball into our 50 and we ended up with goal.
The guys is natural forward, just play him there where he can use his skills 1 on 1 and impact the game in a positive way.

Was goal-umpire for one of the little league games as the players came back on after half time. The Essendon team basically ran through the middle of our game (some of these guys are fooking huge up close) and Stringer trots past me giving me a wry little smile, I call out "big 2nd half mate, bury these pricks (the hight of wit and banter, I know) he just shrugs and goes "it's in the bag" before jogging over to join the group. Love that guy :)

Great call on Langford. Spot on.

Just read that Stratton did the same thing in the Lions game. Cameron appealed to the umpires for a free kick when he did it. Must’ve not left a mark at the time so he’s improved his technique. If it’s drawn to the attention of an official and they don’t do anything about it, it comes out this week to more embarrassment.
Plus, his leg tattoos look like a preschool class drew them for him.

Also I know it was a home game but there were only about 12 Hawthorne supporters in the stadium last night. Fair weather fools, the hawkes supporter base.

Sydney had just as many fans at Docklands on a Friday night last year and they are not even based here. Hawthorn’s membership numbers are inflated by Tassie fans who want to attend games in Launceston. A big Melbourne club, pig’s arse.

Just read that Stratton did the same thing in the Lions game. Cameron appealed to the umpires for a free kick when he did it. Must’ve not left a mark at the time so he’s improved his technique. If it’s drawn to the attention of an official and they don’t do anything about it, it comes out this week to more embarrassment.
Plus, his leg tattoos look like a preschool class drew them for him.
Didn't he repeatedly punch Cameron instead of pinching?

Good win last night. Awesome when all back 6 have great games. Really liked Redmans game. Clarke also backed up.

Parish is starting to break out, i love it.

If Ridley, Gleeson has a blinder in the VFL today, Zak’s makes way. Is a poor 1:1 defender and his leg speed is also poor.

Skills are still quite good (19 possessions at 90%) but only the 228.0 meters gained which is a worry from a guy supposedly back there for this ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have thought Guelfi was more likely to make way for Ridley. Guelfi certainly hasn't been terrible this year but, while he is a decent mark and tries his guts out, his decision making is poor, his ball handling mediocre and we already have one up and under kicker in the backline in Ambrose.

Redman looks like a legitimate 150 game player. Beautiful kick, quick and composed with ball in hands, runs particularly hard defensively, has the rare license to pull the indoor corridor kick off consistently. So thrilled he’s getting the opportunities and continuity in the seniors.

The "media bias against us" diatribe on the Hawkes board is bizarre.

If the Godfather trilogy has taught me anything it’s that you never go against the family, lest you end up with concrete boots.

O’Meara already runs around like he’s wearing them for dramatic effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win. Things to work on but important results back to back now. Did what we should, made use of our talent advantage.

Kids were the big positive for mine, that and a really even team effort without too many passengers.

McKenna has played his best game, no doubt. Everything he tried came off and as much as I had no idea what he was going to do in any moment, I don’t think he did either, it was great to watch.

Laverde will go bang and dominate one day soon. Lots of almost moments and loved his physicality and bringing teammates into the game. Probably leave the 40m handballs behind though.

Parish less prolific but still polished, great set shot.

Having 2 of the top 5 key defenders in the game is a luxury and I don’t think we’ve appreciated it.

Zach does Zach things.

Saad is just about the best small defender in the game while being one of the best attacking defenders too. Ludicrous we got him for a 2nd Rd pick.

Redman is a fantastic player, looks a 200 gamer already and his ball use is just about the best in the team.

Shiel hit targets on his right, nuff said.

Heppell great again, has his ability to step through traffic back.

One thing that stood out was the vision and link up of our kids coming out of a contest. Over the shoulder handballs to release, lightning ball movement. Won’t be able to be as globetrotter with better sides but was pleasing.

All in all, we’re building. Somehow more confident about next week than I was pre this game but we’ll probably get flogged to really demonstrate how little I know about football.

Ben Stratton, Hawthorn, has been charged with Stomping on Shaun McKernan, Essendon, during the fourth quarter of the Round 13 match between Essendon and Hawthorn, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 14.

When was this? And don't say 'during the 4th quarter'...

Ben Stratton, Hawthorn, has been charged with Stomping on Shaun McKernan, Essendon, during the fourth quarter of the Round 13 match between Essendon and Hawthorn, played at Marvel Stadium on Friday June 14.

I noticed a few little fracas at the game last night but nothing specific. Will have a look through the replay and see if I can find anything

sometime after the three quarter time siren

Remove this Banner Ad

Back