The end is nigh...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
We are about halfway through the season and several of our elder statesmen are surely playing for their careers.

Burgers is 37 at the end of this year. Given the recent departures of some senior players and some others likely to call it a day at this year's end, if he stays fit, expect they will consider giving him one more year. I'd give him one more if he stays fit.

This is obviously Rough's (32) last year.

Poppy (32) certainly looks like he has lost that blistering pace and huge leap. He is still quick and serviceable, but is nowhere near as dangerous. I'd probably give him one more as Moore and Hanrahan aren't ready.

If Birch (31) can't get his body right and string together at least 4 - 6 quality AFL level games, am not sure why we would retain him. Don't see it happening so expect he will also be asked to retire at year's end.

Hendo (30) has been a revelation, so definitely stays on.

Frawley (30) has to stay as we have so few key defensive options and has been solid.

Tim Mohr (30) am unsure about. Obviously injured, but think I read somewhere we gave him a two-year deal to sign-on, so expect he stays.

Surprised about the talk of people wanting to trade Issie (30). We got cut to ribbons by the Bombers speed - Morrison is not a quality replacement and Hendo (30) and Scully (28) are not young. Has to stay unless a club stumps up an early second round pick.

Stratton (30), McEvoy (29), Cegs (28), Breust (28) and Shiels (28) all stay for mine.

At 28 and with the injuries he's had, surely Schoey's time comes to an end.

I never understood why we drafted Mirra (28) and still don't. Solid depth but not really AFL-level quality, at a time when we don't need depth, we need to find players who can build long careers. There are always late picks that end up being top line players and would rather us have gone after an opportunity like that, than a mid sized shut down defender.

For mine, the end for the older players (28 and over) comes for Rough, Schoey, Mirra and Birch.

What do others think?

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally I think Birch, Poppy, Rough, Shoey, Mirra and potentially Mohr or Frawley get moved on at the end of the year. By all accounts we're going to be very busy in the draft this year and are probably going to have to trade a few piece to get in too. I think Smith will head to another club, as will potentially Bruest/Shiels.

If that's correct that's seven senior players going out, with the potential of another in Burgoyne.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are about halfway through the season and several of our elder statesmen are surely playing for their careers.

Burgers is 37 at the end of this year. Given the recent departures of some senior players and some others likely to call it a day at this year's end, if he stays fit, expect they will consider giving him one more year. I'd give him one more if he stays fit.

This is obviously Rough's (32) last year.

Poppy (32) certainly looks like he has lost that blistering pace and huge leap. He is still quick and serviceable, but is nowhere near as dangerous. I'd probably give him one more as Moore and Hanrahan aren't ready.

If Birch (31) can't get his body right and string together at least 4 - 6 quality AFL level games, am not sure why we would retain him. Don't see it happening so expect he will also be asked to retire at year's end.

Hendo (30) has been a revelation, so definitely stays on.

Frawley (30) has to stay as we have so few key defensive options and has been solid.

Tim Mohr (30) am unsure about. Obviously injured, but think I read somewhere we gave him a two-year deal to sign-on, so expect he stays.

Surprised about the talk of people wanting to trade Issie (30). We got cut to ribbons by the Bombers speed - Morrison is not a quality replacement and Hendo (30) and Scully (28) are not young. Has to stay unless a club stumps up an early second round pick.

Stratton (30), McEvoy (29), Cegs (28), Breust (28) and Shiels (28) all stay for mine.

At 28 and with the injuries he's had, surely Schoey's time comes to an end.

I never understood why we drafted Mirra (28) and still don't. Solid depth but not really AFL-level quality, at a time when we don't need depth, we need to find players who can build long careers. There are always late picks that end up being top line players and would rather us have gone after an opportunity like that, than a mid sized shut down defender.

For mine, the end for the older players (28 and over) comes for Rough, Schoey, Mirra and Birch.

What do others think?

Agree with a lot of what you have said except the Isaac smith value.

I think he’s worth more to us than a gamble on a pick 25 or higher.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Burgers needs to first beat Goodes record (372) and then chase down Harvey's 432 games before I'm happy for him to retire.

Think he is on 366, so bar a serious injury, takes over Goodes this year, which will be great !!!

Glenhope

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes, it's all looking bleak. I expect a bunch of players to be moved out or retire. This is what comes of not being in the early draft rounds for good youngsters.

He's got a good argument at this point. They have a lot more young talent to work with, but we have the proven veterans (that are largely playing trash).
They'd need to stop being Carlton to improve though

Neither side is winning one in the next few years and beyond that anything can happen. It doesn't take a long time to turn things around if a club does things well...….and it can take forever to go nowhere if they don't (see Carlton/Melb for years).

So his comment is pointless. Unless a team is a chance in the immediate 2-3 years, all the others are as close as each other.

Better to say, Hawks are as likely as Carlton to win a flag in the next 2-3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Reckon we should be moving players unless they fill a clear structural hole where we have no clear replacements.

Frawley - stay (brand and tob can’t hold down FB, kosi not ready, and unlikely we acquire a replacement in a trade)

Puopolo - a great career, but he’s lost a yard and not irreplaceable

Rough - gone

Birch - can’t see him coming back, but even if he did is he in our future plans? Should retire after a great career

Silk - it’s really up to him. He’s looked decidedly average at times this year - better to finish up than go a season too many.

Hendo - our best player and especially important if smith goes. Stay

Mohr - delist (unless contracted?)

Mirra - not in our future plans - delist

Shoey - has 3 months to get fit and prove he deserves to stay on list. Body seems shot.

Stratts - has lost a yard this year and struggling as captain. Will be an interesting one.

BB - needs to go ons

Ceglar - doesn’t play well as second ruck. Trade bait.

Smith - rumoured as trade bait. Our other wingers aren’t young, would be open to him going for a good offer

Shiels - keep. Needed in midfield.

Breust - keep unless receive a big offer. Has been speculated to be traded a few times but has always stayed.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints

I think Carlton is never going to succeed with their decided lack of culture. We will always have that over them.... But Carey is right that on paper anyway, Carlton have a better list. We will have a bigger cleanout this year than Carlton... As much as i think he's a ****, he's pretty close to the mark.

George Zip

Senior List
Jun 4, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So what are Geelong doing that we're not? They've been there or thereabouts since winning their last flag in 2011, and like us, they've had a high number of retirements in the intervening years. Looking at their current list, they won't be sliding down the ladder anytime soon.

When viewed through the Geelong prism, our lack of success this year, and the forecast of a finals drought for the next few years, is completely unacceptable.

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So what are Geelong doing that we're not? They've been there or thereabouts since winning their last flag in 2011, and like us, they've had a high number of retirements in the intervening years. Looking at their current list, they won't be sliding down the ladder anytime soon.

When viewed through the Geelong prism, our lack of success this year, and the forecast of a finals drought for the next few years, is completely unacceptable.

They play with 3 extra players every week for starters.

Coming up on 8 years since their flag, they've won 3 finals and missed the 8 once.

They haven't won anything yet

Completely different lists. It’s not even worth trying to compare.

They have a spine that’s gone relatively untouched for the last 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back