Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
I laughed.
Bucks has difficult decisions to make.
Varcoe would come out before either Brown or Aish. Both playing very well.
Varcoe should be used sparingly and if we are under the pump come finals time use him fresh as a battering ram, but if our best is available he'd struggle

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or perhaps not. We are extremely reliant on Grundy. Makes total sense to manage him creatively.

Will not happen. If for any reason outside of injury he needs a rest, its not a week after the bye. Maybe later in the year but I doubt that too.

Besides, its not the Buckley way to rest players. He didnt do it with Stephenson last year for example.

Will not happen. If for any reason outside of injury he needs a rest, its not a week after the bye. Maybe later in the year but I doubt that too.

Besides, its not the Buckley way to rest players. He didnt do it with Stephenson last year for example.
Grundy would be the first to resist being rested. He is such a competitive beast.

However, there is some merit in resting if he has any niggles. Certainly not just after the bye, but sometime later into the second half. This will give our second ruck options (either Lynch or Cox) to get some exposure in case we need them come finals time in a break glass situation

I’m not arguing that it will happen, but that it should.

Not against resting players, as the season progresses, we have already done it with billy and Darcy to some extent. It makes sense. Geelong did it in 2011 and watch them do it this year.
It’s a long season and Grundy, Pendles and Steele carry a large load. We have to make sure they are in the best shape possible come finals

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I havent got it in for Varcoe, I just think he's in decline. Per game, he has fewer best efforts and less of an impact than in previous years. Happens to them all eventually, especially an impact player like Varcs. If we are still contending in September, and have a reasonably healthy list, I doubt he'll be selected. I've loved him at the Pies, as a player and a person, but I'm afraid the end is nigh.
In decline no doubt, but his best can still turn a game. My bet is that if he is fit come finals, he plays. As we know too well (2011) he loves a big game and he’s the exact type you want to come in and impact a game at crucial moments. In a grand final I would feel more comfortable with him in the side.

You aren’t serious about that are you? An extra week doesn’t have any impact on a professional athletes fitness unless they aren’t training even then I have massive doubts. If Geelong don’t **** the bed there is no tangible difference between finishing 2nd and 4th so there’s no need to press for top 2 if players are 50/50 which Grundy clearly was on the weekend.

I’m confused by the Bulldogs v Richmond reference? Given Richmond are an entirely different club to us with different players and staff. An accurate reference point for whatever point you’re making surely needs to involve us in 2019.

When it comes to the most important player in the league I’m happy to the point of encouraging of the club to manage players just as Geelong have been and will be over the next three months.

Edit: To clarify what’s the basis on which Lynch doesn’t deserve a game? As long as he can play a role he deserves to be in the frame if we choose to rest Grundy and v English he is capable, IMO.

Geelong are 2 games & massive percentage clear of us in 2nd place. So in effect are 3 games clear of us & even more in front of 4th place. If we were in their position we could rest several players as well. We get a home final & win & all the players get yet another week off.
Geelong will be able to mange players easier & earlier than us. We need to sew up 2nd place asap. Going to GWS or Optus stadium in Perth for first week of finals would not be the preferred path. GWS have us covered for percentage. They win & we lose & the ladder positions are reversed. I'd spew if we lost a chance at a home final because we are managing players. When the numbers say we are safe then sure by all means. But they aren't at this point in time & may not be for the remainder of the year. I'm not a Lynch fan although I realise he has his supporters on this board. I don't see him being on the list after this season. It's an opinion & that's all. If we do get to the stage where we can rest Grundy & I believe that isn't within the next few games, than I see Cox as a worthy replacement & Reid has shown he can fill a role up forward if required.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've had him in my "outs" a lot recently in these pre-game threads, but Bucks' comments at last week's presser makes me think he's locked in for a while yet

Bucks will always pump up the players in a presser. No doubt they'd be wanting JT to find form though, because he will be the vulnerable one along with Varcoe when Elliott and Adams are ready to go.

Surprised Phillips hasn't had much attention on here. Thought he had a bad game yesterday and had multiple clangers. Even though Aish played well yesterday I still think he's our weekest link and can't hold his spot when Langdon and Shaz return. Thomas plays a completely different role and just edges Aish out. As for our most vulnerable I place them in the following debatable order.

Varcoe
Aish
Thomas
Phillips
Brown (don't want to see him dropped as he's an important player for our future).

Considering Stevo had 3 tackles I reckon Degoey needs to work on his defensive game after another donut.

Phillips is our best runner, would love to see him use the footy better but no way he's getting dropped. Works his backside off to support the defence and link up through the middle. Did find it odd that he spent so much time at the centre bounces v Melbourne.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
You aren’t serious about that are you? An extra week doesn’t have any impact on a professional athletes fitness unless they aren’t training even then I have massive doubts. If Geelong don’t **** the bed there is no tangible difference between finishing 2nd and 4th so there’s no need to press for top 2 if players are 50/50 which Grundy clearly was on the weekend.

I’m confused by the Bulldogs v Richmond reference? Given Richmond are an entirely different club to us with different players and staff. An accurate reference point for whatever point you’re making surely needs to involve us in 2019.

When it comes to the most important player in the league I’m happy to the point of encouraging of the club to manage players just as Geelong have been and will be over the next three months.

Edit: To clarify what’s the basis on which Lynch doesn’t deserve a game? As long as he can play a role he deserves to be in the frame if we choose to rest Grundy and v English he is capable, IMO.

It so often said that anecdotally 10 or so days off is ideal to refreshed, a full week off is good but there is a slight cost in match fitness, and more than that not ideal. Regardless of training through the weeks as it is not sufficient to replicate match day training.

There is a big difference in my view between second and fourth. Fourth we play the in form Cats in their ‘home’ environment - a team that has outperformed us during the year and is arguably the best team in the competition based on ladder position. Second we play a travelling team on a track they are less used to, and who have been a poorer team for the year. Surely you’d agree with the principle that playing third is better than playing first...?

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
And
Geelong are 2 games & massive percentage clear of us in 2nd place. So in effect are 3 games clear of us & even more in front of 4th place. If we were in their position we could rest several players as well. We get a home final & win & all the players get yet another week off.
Geelong will be able to mange players easier & earlier than us. We need to sew up 2nd place asap. Going to GWS or Optus stadium in Perth for first week of finals would not be the preferred path. GWS have us covered for percentage. They win & we lose & the ladder positions are reversed. I'd spew if we lost a chance at a home final because we are managing players. When the numbers say we are safe then sure by all means. But they aren't at this point in time & may not be for the remainder of the year. I'm not a Lynch fan although I realise he has his supporters on this board. I don't see him being on the list after this season. It's an opinion & that's all. If we do get to the stage where we can rest Grundy & I believe that isn't within the next few games, than I see Cox as a worthy replacement & Reid has shown he can fill a role up forward if required.

And let’s see how many players Geelong decide to manage by giving them two weeks off rather than one. Or any team for that matter

Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bucks will always pump up the players in a presser. No doubt they'd be wanting JT to find form though, because he will be the vulnerable one along with Varcoe when Elliott and Adams are ready to go.

Phillips is our best runner, would love to see him use the footy better but no way he's getting dropped. Works his backside off to support the defence and link up through the middle. Did find it odd that he spent so much time at the centre bounces v Melbourne.

I agree with you regarding Phillips. I would suggest his work load contributes to his disposal issues sometimes. So if you take Phillips from my list who gets dropped. Everyone on BF has varying opinions of who's untouchable. Some just don't see it or want to admit their favourites are droppable.

I agree with you regarding Phillips. I would suggest his work load contributes to his disposal issues sometimes. So if you take Phillips from my list who gets dropped. Everyone on BF has varying opinions of who's untouchable. Some just don't see it or want to admit their favourites are droppable.
Nearly everyone was in agreement that Wills would be dropped, had had a good chance to show his wares but was not up to it.
I think most are reasonable judges and not overly biased. The difference in player assessment is more often based on personal tactical nuances.
Apples and oranges.
The fact it is hard to split individuals players is great, rather a whole team of apples and oranges than a side full of spuds.

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Josh Thomas is obviously the weakest link in the current side, but Bucks seems to be very supportive of his form. I'd really love for Bucks to elaborate on why he rates Thomas' form highly because in 12 games, I doubt he's been in our best dozen performers once.

He isn't kicking the goals that De Goey and Stephenson are, he isn't presenting as the leading half forward/link-up player that Hoskin-Elliott is, he isn't offering the run and carry and pressure that Brown is and he isn't putting his body on the line like Varcoe is. We have an abundance of depth - the real benefit of that is that we can omit the under performers to the next level down so they can built continuity and confidence before returning to the seniors.

There's simply nothing impressive about him in season 2019, and if Elliott is fit enough to play the next game, surely the decision is obvious.

That's two weeks in a row now that I would have Thomas as our worst performer, in addition to an already sub-par string of performances.
Thing with Thomas is his a one touch player and bobs up for vital goals....for this reason I'm with bucks..

Throw him in the centre every now and again I reckon

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have they blown two seperate 6 goal leads in the one game? I don’t think I have seen that before

Yep, leaked a lot of goals quickly, twice. Hopefully we can do the same to them. I'm glad the Dogs won, otherwise you've always gotta be weary of a side that has just lost to a terrible side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back