Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free agency gives destination clubs (ie teams not languishing at the bottom) access to quality players without giving up anything for them except for finding salary cap space for them...which is pretty easy when clubs manipulate contracts of the highest paid player to provide it....with the reassurance that these players will be compensated somewhere down the track.

Priority picks are a way of counter balancing that, so the bottom clubs can at least get access to talent through the draft. The AFL have pretty much abolished priority picks, so the disparity will just continue.

Recently there has been talk of Coniglio being linked to Geelong, the current premiership favorites....how are bottom placed clubs meant to compete with that?

Free agency gives destination clubs (ie teams not languishing at the bottom) access to quality players without giving up anything for them except for finding salary cap space for them...which is pretty easy when clubs manipulate contracts of the highest paid player to provide it....with the reassurance that these players will be compensated somewhere down the track.

Priority picks are a way of counter balancing that, so the bottom clubs can at least get access to talent through the draft. The AFL have pretty much abolished priority picks, so the disparity will just continue.

Recently there has been talk of Coniglio being linked to Geelong, the current premiership favorites....how are bottom placed clubs meant to compete with that?
Geelong couldn't pay what it'd take to get Coniglio. If he wants to play for a finalist, WC or Freo would be a superior option, both from a cash standpoint and the fact that he's originally from Perth.

If Geelong win a flag this year - which, BTW, I don't see happening; they're competent in a year of roaring fires then petering out before rekindling again - then it will be off the back of a rather easy draw. They'd still have to play their finals at the G rather than down there, and they'd consequently be worse on the day. It's actually a little bit funny; they're as desperate for players as North Melbourne are, just their hit rate is a little better. They don't have many years out of Ablett, Danger or Selwood; Duncan's a good honest mid but not a game turner, and their backline functions because the entire rest of the side works their arse off to clog up space, not because of individual brilliance across the board.

Bottom placed clubs need to do more or less what we've done - in terms of how our salary cap is structured - and need to pay outrageous overs structured so that the majority of the payments occur in years where you're not getting pinched for it. Offer Cogs 1.2 mill a year for 6 years, but pay most of it inside the first 2-3 seasons to wind his payment down to a reasonable level by years 4-6; offer off field s**t as well, business opportunities, ect.

There's always ways and means. The trick is to know them, know who you're targeting, what they want and how you're going to help get them there.

Are you sure it was just fans cheering and booing getting kicked out? I thought the over-policing was absurd.

Anyways, boycott? I've seen this play out in the A League. You're going to have to eventually swallow your pride if you want to go to a Carlton game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's probably ways to protest without hurting the club in collateral damage. The supporter who had tape over their mouth had the right idea.

Last edited:
I don’t think a boycot would float too many supporters love going.. would need to be a organised protest across all games, such as 3 minutes into the first quarter all supporters stand and cover their mouths for a minute, was going to say turn their backs but this would be disrespectful to the players.
after the minute the whole crowd cheers to unison.
You’d only need to have it work on the Friday night game and the rest of the games would follow suit

Need to go via club and complain. AFL are a bunch of woke social justice warriors who don't care about the game. Interesting that there was a real fight late in the game with verbal exchanges for a while before. Security hid from that and only police responded once the fists took actions. Pathetic.

I don’t think a boycot would float too many supporters love going.. would need to be a organised protest across all games, such as 3 minutes into the first quarter all supporters stand and cover their mouths for a minute, was going to say turn their backs but this would be disrespectful to the players.
after the minute the whole crowd cheers to unison.
You’d only need to have it work on the Friday night game and the rest of the games would follow suit

I think thats a fantastic idea, and I agree that maybe a boycott wouldnt be the best idea, although effective, I just believe something has to be done about this issue

All supporters need to show disgust towards these security guards by not letting them bully individuals. The crowd surrounding need to support the people that get victimised. All supporters in the surrounding seats not just 1 or 2. Protect each individuals human rights ....

Seeing security pacing up and down the aisles was pathetic

They’ll expect supporters to sit in their seats next. Fighting, excessively drinking and becoming a threat to other people safety is wrong and should be check severely.
But this autocratic managing and policing of politcal correctness at a footy game is just ridiculous and way over the top, it’s gone too far.

blues will grab every ticket they can in perth, huge following there......this strikes me as one of those stop buying petrol hail mary protests.....won't happen
Spot on, I'm sure the oil companies were shaking in their boots because a few thousand people didn't fill up their Corollas.

All supporters need to show disgust towards these security guards by not letting them bully individuals. The crowd surrounding need to support the people that get victimised. All supporters in the surrounding seats not just 1 or 2. Protect each individuals human rights ....

Ok. I take three young girls to the football. I pay my money and membership the same as anyone else.

Are you also going to show the same disgust and lynch mob mentality when I get a 40 year old lip pierced Collingwood supporter with tattoos up his neck aggressively dropping f- bombs and c-bombs in front of them.

Be careful what you wish for !! Not sure why anyone is protecting these pigs ??

Our game proudly has close to 50% male and female attending games - young and old. Look at English soccer and see how many females attend. It’s an aggressive and intimidating atmosphere.

Is this what people want ? Is this what we are aiming for ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok. I take three young girls to the football. I pay my money and membership the same as anyone else.

Are you also going to show the same disgust and lynch mob mentality when I get a 40 year old lip pierced Collingwood supporter with tattoos up his neck aggressively dropping f- bombs and c-bombs in front of them.

Be careful what you wish for !! Not sure why anyone is protecting these pigs ??

Our game proudly has close to 50% male and female attending games - young and old. Look at English soccer and see how many females attend. It’s an aggressive and intimidating atmosphere.

Is this what people want ? Is this what we are aiming for ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Security are allegedly cautioning patrons for cheering loudly.
Not for abuse
Not for foul language
Not for intimidation

Security has either gone rogue, or Gil is lying to the fans. Either way, can see behaviour escalating until the protest is heard.

Maybe 50+ people standing and cheering as loud as they can every time security does a walk through may make it hard to target individual patrons who are not hurting anyone.

There is a tipping point waiting to be reached, just hope it isn’t exploited by a wannabe hero with another agenda.

AFL has contributed to an overly charged atmosphere that could, and should, have been avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back