Black Magic: The best Aboriginal 18 of all time:

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I’m being lazy here, but when did the Hawks debut their first indigenous player ?.

Collard ?.

Just an observation, the Hawks dragged their feet giving indigenous players a good run. Not until the 2000’s

It's absolutely true that we avoided drafting indigenous players prior to the turn of the century....Only with the arrival of Chance Bateman did things change.

And it proved a good Chance to take.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Darryl White CHB

The question of White's inclusion has already been addressed….He's more a right place, right time kind of player.....Definitely more bottom 6 rather than a top 6 type.

Hard to argue with 3 Premierships, but Ryder is clearly the superior player between the 2.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Ok, so if a white person calls an indigenous person black it's frowned upon, but saying it this way is ok?

You clearly missed the conversation between Podgey & myself.....Maybe read the thread through first, in it's entirety, before commenting next time.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Very difficult to pick a team. So many good players. Derek Kickett on his day was sublime. Had the pleasure of growing up watching Stephen Michael, the Krackour brothers, the Lewis's, Vigona, Campbell, McAdam, the Narkles, Winmar and Rioli.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
This thread title "black magic" just involuntarily triggered some disgustingly racist memories in my mind from Roger Moores live and let die. Something I'd rather not experience again

And before anyone asks no im not ok after reading that.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This thread title "black magic" just involuntarily triggered some disgustingly racist memories in my mind from Roger Moores live and let die. Something I'd rather not experience again

And before anyone asks no im not ok after reading that.

It's good to see you living up to your avatar then.....Now to fix the dreadful state of umpiring this bloke has overseen under his charge.

By the by....Voodoo is something more akin to Haiti & it's African origins......Nice long-bow drawn there but.....Again, context my friendly Cat adversary.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
B:...C.Johnson.....G.Malarkey......G.Wanganeen.
HB:.A.McLeod……..P.Ryder……..….B.Pickett
C:...P.Matera.......M.Rioli............M.Long
HF:.N.Winmar…...A.Goodes………..M.O'Loughlin
F:...C.Rioli..........L.Franklin.........E.Betts
R:...G.Farmer.....S.Burgoyne.......B.Cable

Int: J.Krakouer, C.Lewis, S.Michael, J.Farmer
Captain/Coach: Barry Cable.

Additions, omissions & criticisms welcomed in order to aid & assist me in improving this list.
Just my 2 bobs - I'd go:
David Wirrpanda IN (Pickett out)
Phill Krakouer IN (Rioli out)
Stephen Hill IN (Farmer out)

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Just my 2 bobs - I'd go:
David Wirrpanda IN (Pickett out)
Phill Krakouer IN (Rioli out)
Stephen Hill IN (Farmer out)

I'd agree that Wirra is the unluckiest player of all to have missed out.....He's unfortunate in that both Wanganeen & Johnson are 2 of the best back-pockets the game has seen in recent decades....But the back pocket is his position....Pickett is a Norm Smith Medallist & dual premiership player at both North & Port....He possesses that hard-edged toughness & x-factor required to break a game open....He can also play in a variety of positions, whenever required....When the going gets tough, he's inevitably the man for the job.

Both Phil & Jimmy had an instant impact & appeal when they first broke upon the scene for North....I recall that era very fondly indeed....They were a stellar magical act that provided the VFL with a spark it had previously lacked.....Phil was indeed sublimely skilled, but I'm sorry.....He's not replacing a Norm Smith Medallist & 4 time Premiership player any time soon.....Especially one who remains the most phenomenally gifted & instinctive footballer, who could do anything on a football field, this pundit has ever set eyes upon.

Farmer's career at both Melbourne & Fremantle simply cannot be ignored, With a combined 483 goals over a 14 year 249 game journey. Both his goal-scoring capacity & ability in the air were elite.....Stephen has been excellent over the journey, but he's still not quite done enough for a place on the bench....He's also essentially a Wingman & he's not in either of Matera or Long's company there either....It's tough competition I know; & some gun footballers have been very unlucky to miss out....But you can only fit 22 in the side.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I'd agree that Wirra is the unluckiest player of all to have missed out.....He's unfortunate in that both Wanganeen & Johnson are 2 of the best back-pockets the game has seen in recent decades....But the back pocket is his position....Pickett is a Norm Smith Medallist & dual premiership player at both North & Port....He possesses that hard-edged toughness & x-factor required to break a game open....He can also play in a variety of positions, whenever required....When the going gets tough, he's inevitably the man for the job.

Both Phil & Jimmy had an instant impact & appeal when they first broke upon the scene for North....I recall that era very fondly indeed....They were a stellar magical act that provided the VFL with a spark it had previously lacked.....Phil was indeed sublimely skilled, but I'm sorry.....He's not replacing a Norm Smith Medallist & 4 time Premiership player any time soon.....Especially one who remains the most phenomenally gifted & instinctive footballer, who could do anything on a football field, this pundit has ever set eyes upon.

Farmer's career at both Melbourne & Fremantle simply cannot be ignored, With a combined 483 goals over a 14 year 249 game journey. Both his goal-scoring capacity & ability in the air were elite.....Stephen has been excellent over the journey, but he's still not quite done enough for a place on the bench....He's also essentially a Wingman & he's not in either of Matera or Long's company there either....It's tough competition I know; & some gun footballers have been very unlucky to miss out....But you can only fit 22 in the side.
It's such a difficult exercise. Michael Johnson played 244 games and I couldn't even manage to get him on the bench! Maybe we could extend it to 'emergency's'? lol No Phill Narkle or Derek Kickett as well just seems wrong. Very enjoyable thread though.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Then you shouldn't be compiling a list for the greatest indigineous players

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Don't mean to sound disrespectful, but anyone could say that about any random player, they've seen that I haven't.

You're welcome to start an Indigenous best of S/A league if you so desire.

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't mean to sound disrespectful, but anyone could say that about any random player, they've seen that I haven't.

You're welcome to start an Indigenous best of S/A league if you so desire.
You're list says all time
Do the research on the random Michael Graham then get back to me about the disrespect

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You're list says all time
Do the research on the random Michael Graham then get back to me about the disrespect

5 pages & 120 posts in, & you're the first poster who has mentioned him to my knowledge....I think that says enough.

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
5 pages & 120 posts in, & you're the first poster who has mentioned him to my knowledge....I think that says enough.

You're compiling a list of all time indigenous team but if you did your research you would see he was named in the 2005 OFFICIAL INDIGENOUS TEAM OF THE CENTURY
I think that says it all fool

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

You're compiling a list of all time indigenous team but if you did your research you would see he was named in the 2005 OFFICIAL INDIGENOUS TEAM OF THE CENTURY
I think that says it all fool

It would appear as though he made the bench in the 2005 version....Doubt that would be the case now, with so many other greats having played since then.

I've heard of or are aware of all those players named there other than Graham....and I've been watching footy since 1974 on the regular....I wore Syd Jackson's number 5 on my back as a kid.

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
You doubt he would make the team now even though you've never heard of him
I think you've embarrassed yourself enough

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You doubt he would make the team now even though you've never heard of him
I think you've embarrassed yourself enough

Hardly.

All of Buddy, Silk, Betts & Cyril need to be included into that list....And Graham is the first one disappearing off it to make way for them.

Last edited:

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Winston Abraham had most of them covered.

The question of White's inclusion has already been addressed….He's more a right place, right time kind of player.....Definitely more bottom 6 rather than a top 6 type.

Hard to argue with 3 Premierships, but Ryder is clearly the superior player between the 2.

Absolute rubbish.

Darryl White has Ryder covered. Was a very good footballer.

Back