Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Suckl
Lochie has been banished to his room to watch the entire Rambo series on full volume whilst having water drip on his head until he can kick goals from 50m out on the boundary at 100% accuracy. Not allowed out until he can.

Suckling v O'brien
Obrien out on the full
Suckling lifts his side
Suckling is a premiership player
If you want your side to go where suckling has been, O'brien needs to become Suckling.

Anyone else think that MAYBE our 3 forwards may not work moving forward.Just get the feeling one of the 3 work every week not saying all 3 must work but at this stage the ‘synergy’ is just not there at the moment.Needs time I’m sure.
In the modern game the advantage of having 2 big targets (McKay and Curnow) is the opposition is forced to put more focus on one.
I don't think we will ever see many games they both dominate, rather one will take defender's attention and the other thrive in the open space.

Tactical leading to draw the extra man in the zone away from the other forward is a staple in modern game plan. I think of it as a defensive lead.

Having a 3rd tall is handy as that role is meant to be able to take high marks but move around and be better below the knees. Also still ideally provide a second option when going forward.

Some teams use the 3rd tall as the last link before hitting the big forward when the run is taken out of the game.

The synergy between McKay and Curnow is fine. With every game they compliment each other. McGovern will work will with them and then a fast small forward is the missing piece up forward.

Team balance and how well each line knows each other, trust's each other and can work together is hugely important.

Watched the replay. Misses a lot that you see live.

I am very critical of McGovern at the moment. His lack of effort at times is extremely poor. 2 weeks in a row I have seen him be lazy and not give 100%. Talented as any but those efforts aren't good enough especially from a mature player.

With Charlie up forward we need to get the ball in quickly. He reads it so well. Quicker than most.

McKay down on confidence. Needs to not only lead but repeat lead. Needs to "demand" the ball. Needs to now ruck as well

Casboult's leg speed and discipline is underrated. Credit to the bloke. Great story

If Cuningham can become a 20 plus possession player he will be elite. His skill set is match winning

D
I find your lack of understanding of the players and where they are at very poor. All time new low level.

If you look for negatives you will always find them. I actually blame Cripps for our loss. Didn't have 37 and kick 4. Too inconsistent

I know where Dow is. 2 years of positive reinforcement of coach killing errors. Is that how you improve. You believe in stroking players, I believe in tough love. What did Barrassi say? Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Dow makes the same disposal errors every week. Back to the reserves, train, improve, fight for your spot, get reselected and perform

Ok well enough time passed now to mull the end result. It would have been good to win but it was always possible there would be a letdown.
The week before was huge for the players.
Their coach gets the chop. They find a win against all odds.

So what do you complainers expect....an instant premiership side from here on in?
Or a team of youngsters finding their way when the tactics are changed midstream ?
Mental lapses is the killer. Simply that and desperately lacking some extra hard bodies and seasoned minds.

Instead of celebrating the positive its all about what went wrong.
A player kicks 7.....when did that happen? Another player could have kicked 5 if the marks stuck and soon they will.
A coach flicks the switch with astute player movements twice. When I ask did we see this stuff?
Aye well you got to go back to Parkin to find it. And that with a senior side rather than an under 23's.

Actually we have got a premiership side. Its obvious that this team is going to be great. But it wont be this year and never was going to be.
However we are way further ahead than it seemed two weeks ago.
Watching the tactics and player movement is one thing I love about the footy and why I hate watching it on TV.

The saints and essendon game made me angry not only because we looked flat footed and unsure but the plan never changed and players knew something wasn't working that week but were told not to change. This created the doubt we saw them all have and the hesitation to moved the ball forward.

Watching last night I have been very impressed with Teagues ability to make adjustments on game day without being able to send runners out when ever he wants.
I'm very interested to see what Teague does the rest of the year but as you mentioned he reset and adjusted twice. One factor I look for in a coach is ability to win games with adjustments.

Pissed me off big time the fact that the umps didn't have the guts to call The frees we were owed in the last 30 seconds (including what should have been a 50) and then they pluck that bad boy out of no where.

Yeah Mclean just laying on the ball for what felt like 10 seconds was a bloody joke!!! And yes that little diamond out of what was a really critical time, if that was a gf no way he gets that free kick. Just completely against the tide.

Anyway, as i stated early we simply shouldnt have given them the head start, we switch on earlier and that free kick becomes irrelevant because we are up by 3 goals.

D

I know where Dow is. 2 years of positive reinforcement of coach killing errors. Is that how you improve. You believe in stroking players, I believe in tough love. What did Barrassi say? Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Dow makes the same disposal errors every week. Back to the reserves, train, improve, fight for your spot, get reselected and perform

Like I said your lack of knowledge and understanding is amazing. This proves it. You have absolutely no idea what is happening

D

With how often you quote people, you'd think that you'd learn to not start typing before the dialog box loads.

You keep making the same mistake.

I think some tough love is in order and you should be dropped to the Northern Blues (thread)

Fight for your spot and you may get re-selected

Okay thanks for the tip. I wasn't that upset by it.

All good, but I was upset by it and hoped like hell it would not cost us but feared it would. We lost again. I am so ******* sick of losing. I am upset *******s of match committee are not thinking in winning ways. I am glad for you can deal with so many losses and not get that upset. This club been too s**t for too long for me to be apathetic about losing.

With how often you quote people, you'd think that you'd learn to not start typing before the dialog box loads.

You keep making the same mistake.

I think some tough love is in order and you should be dropped to the Northern Blues (thread)

Fight for your spot and you may get re-selected

Not sure Michael Jez played many senior games. I am not counting on this poster returning after being dropped.

Thanks for your post making me laugh. Been a tough weekend to find any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suckl

Suckling v O'brien
Obrien out on the full
Suckling lifts his side
Suckling is a premiership player
If you want your side to go where suckling has been, O'brien needs to become Suckling.
Oh my god...am I really reading this!!??

What I'd like to see is if Jack comes in he's plays the role he played yesterday. HF/Midfield. Hard worker. IMO that's his go. Playing deep as a marking target isn't his go. He's not a great mark.

James Hird type role is his best bet imo, doesn’t play already too dissimilar just needs to hold his marks and kick the goals when presented

Anyone else think that MAYBE our 3 forwards may not work moving forward.Just get the feeling one of the 3 work every week not saying all 3 must work but at this stage the ‘synergy’ is just not there at the moment.Needs time I’m sure.

Thought the same. I believe we need more mobility

The issue is McGovern isn't fit and McKay is still very young. Once they are all firing it may not be an issue?

Watched the replay. Misses a lot that you see live.

I am very critical of McGovern at the moment. His lack of effort at times is extremely poor. 2 weeks in a row I have seen him be lazy and not give 100%. Talented as any but those efforts aren't good enough especially from a mature player.

With Charlie up forward we need to get the ball in quickly. He reads it so well. Quicker than most.

McKay down on confidence. Needs to not only lead but repeat lead. Needs to "demand" the ball. Needs to now ruck as well

Casboult's leg speed and discipline is underrated. Credit to the bloke. Great story

If Cuningham can become a 20 plus possession player he will be elite. His skill set is match winning
I think McGovern deserves the same treatment as Charlie got.
Charlie was way out of sorts and injured and performing worse than Mitch right now. But he was shown faith........

Reality is we played 1.5 quarter's and came up just short. Positive was the coach actually made changes again to being us back into the game. Negative is players cannot provide effort only sometimes, JSOS one of the few that does somehow got dropped.

This club cannot continue to gift games based on names McGovern and Murphy both should not be getting a game next week. McGovern had been unfit all year has had good cameo moments but is miles off fit. Murphy is a slow outside player with questionable disposal, it just doesn't work. The club need to show a set and actually make some tough selection calls.

How about the guys outside the stadium with (I kid you not!) huge letters on the back of their vests stating:

“BEHAVIOURAL
AWARENESS
OFFICER”

Political correctness gone mad.

And the AFL says it’s not a directive from them

Need a supporter protest, don’t show up for a round or Turn backs to the ground at predetermined times or something.

There is no more emotional game on the planet, that’s what makes it so great. Stop fking with the very fabric of the game, the supporters and certainly stop thinking we are a bunch of idiots by saying it’s not a directive from the AFL

Couple of interesting points from impeccable "sources" last night.

Dow playing HFF and just getting through games. All about experience.
Setterfield & Marchbank the same
Jack decision was team balance
Gibbons & Newman playing "hurt"
Young players were rapt to have Murphy back

Don't be surprised (pending injuries) that a few players finish season early to prepare for pre season. Massive pre season coming up

Heavily into Martin and at least one other interstate player. No idea who.

Surprised to hear that about Marchbank he has been good.

Kerr for McGovern changes the dynamic for me, Kerr is a lead up forward who has good football smarts. Will make space for Harry.

We have Kerr, Jones, Goddard and soon TDK all pushing for Key positions roles. Have no idea what they are going to do. Nice to have options

The Casboult form as a defender has really changed things

Back