Religion Religions and rudeness.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a Nietzsche fan at all
he doesn't understand Christianity nor Hellenic philosophy and it's profound influence on Christianity
to understand Christianity in its apostolic purity you must go to the sources

Which of Nietzsche's books have you read which gave you the astonishing impression that he was deficient in his understanding of the psychology underlying christianity? His voluminous and groundbreaking philological excursions in Hellenic thought, literature and drama seem to have impressed you not at all?

you have your own belief systems and they're defined as objective

Having struggled personably to make sense of this seemingly random phrase, all I can ask is - if any belief system may, indeed, be defined as 'objective', which disembodied being is doing the believing?

"when one of retired it leaves a vacuum for another to fill it!
what do you mean you ?"

This is incomprehensible gibberish.

and everybody has a belief system

Of course they do. However, the question is the significance they attribute to its existence and its contents. By definition, beliefs have no claims to truth or certainty.

You lied. You invited questions on philosophical matters and undertook to answer them. So far, not a sausage.

" don't give a toss" means I couldn't give a ****. It seems to be a sentiment which is fervently embraced by you.

Last edited:

I find it staggering that people make such flimsy arguments and don’t understand the differences between western and eastern Christian religion and the way they thought about Christianity and philosophy..

Christianity did inspire a massive spike in European learning and culture as well as science..

But it evolved differently and philosophy began east not west.. there were no great ancient Gaul philosophers or goth etc..

What happened is Christianity and philosophy began east and spread west.. after the great schism..the west put its own slant on both Christianity and philosophy..

The west began the renaissance from the eastern philosophers fleeing from places like Constantinople and moving to Italy..

All of the great works of Plato and everybody else was brought with them.. but it was never totally taught in eastern fashion and it grew into a western paradigm..

Nobody knows anything about the byzantines.. because the west set up not only the Catholic Church after the schism but also the franks via Charlemagne who couldn’t even write his own name created a rival to Constantinople Rome.. the Holy Roman Empire.. the two had broken away from every way body and soul.. forever
But the inspiration was both Hellenic and Christianity which shaped Europe and the great spike in everything Europe projected.. everything that makes people wishing to go,work and visit, experience..

You doubt this?

he doesn't understand Christianity nor Hellenic philosophy and it's profound influence on Christianity

Which of Nietzsche's books have you read which gave you the astonishing impression that he was deficient in his understanding of the psychology underlying christianity? His voluminous and groundbreaking philological excursions in Hellenic thought, literature and drama seem to have impressed you not at all?

Having struggled personably to make sense of this seemingly random phrase, all I can ask is - if any belief system may, indeed, be defined as 'objective', which disembodied being is doing the believing?

what do you mean you ?"

Of course they do. However, the question is the significance they attribute to its existence and its contents. By definition, beliefs have no claims to truth or certainty.

You lied. You invited questions on philosophical matters and undertook to answer them. So far, not a sausage.

" don't give a toss" means I couldn't give a ****. It seems to be a sentiment which is fervently embraced by you.
I just gave you background to everything I said.. he’s influenced by western thought of Christianity and religion..

what do you mean you ?"

How is vacuums being filled incomprehensible? Everything is filled..

And which of his many books gave you this impression?
ok let me put it this way

which of his books make any references to the apostolic theology of the church

if he was into that he wouldn't have been a Protestant would he?

to begin debating this topic with you, you must of course understand all forms of Christianity and the differences

take Russian orthodox philosophers for example who address him
solivyiv and berstagi
or dostoyevsky replying to Nietzsche urbemensch with the character elder zosima in the brothers karamazov!

The thing is.. we rarely come across eastern thinkers in the West!

so you would be excused to think the way you do

but nice to get a balance

and even nicer to understand what is being discussed in its entirety!

we can continue the discussion but again please understand the fullness of all this

ok let me put it this way

which of his books make any references to the apostolic theology of the church

if he was into that he wouldn't have been a Protestant would he?

to begin debating this topic with you, you must of course understand all forms of Christianity and the differences

take Russian orthodox philosophers for example who address him
solivyiv and berstagi
or dostoyevsky replying to Nietzsche urbemensch with the character elder zosima in the brothers karamazov!

The thing is.. we rarely come across eastern thinkers in the West!

so you would be excused to think the way you do

but nice to get a balance

and even nicer to understand what is being discussed in its entirety!

we can continue the discussion but again please understand the fullness of all this
Sorry if I’ve missed it, but what exactly is your religion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but what exactly is your religion?
yeah I'm eastern orthodox

it's totally different and

it's a continuation of Hellenic philosophy as we know that Christ was a Hellenized Palestinian Hebrew from Galilee
he and his followers draw deeply from Hellenic culture and philosophy

Greek being the language too that the New testament was written in

and you cannot understand it properly through translation alone and without philosophical and cultural context of that time

which is one of the main problems with the western interpretations of much of this stuff

I'm not meaning to have a go

just as an example this is really interesting

so when you learn the Bible and read it you must also understand the words used in their original and historical context

The West moved away and through Latin

later the whole philosophical concept was changed

much had less to do with the original intention

and of course the rivalry between East and West forced changes between them

for instance in orthodox we don't have a heaven and hell in the way you might think of it

it's more an inner heaven or inner hell of the eternal soul

I just want atheists to exhibit the same tolerance they demand of the religious, especially Catholics.

People are free to believe what they like.

However when claims are made on a public forum about the truth of such phenomena such as miracles (including the physical resurrection of Jesus from the dead), the existance of a supernatural being called "God", or other 'lesser' supernatural beings such as angels, demons and the like, as well as the inerrancy of the Bible, I don't think it is too much for others to ask for the proposers of such claims to justify their opinions. Preferably by providing sound reasoning backed up with robust evidence.

Otherwise why make the claims at all on a public forum? Proselytizing?

Last edited:

However when claims are made on a public forum about the truth of such phenomena such as miracles (including the physical resurrection of Jesus from the dead), the existance of a supernatural being called "God", or other 'lesser' supernatural beings such as angels, demons and the like, as well as the inerrancy of the Bible, I don't think it is too much for others to ask for the proposers of such claims to justify their opinions. Preferably by providing sound reasoning backed up with robust evidence.

Thanks. This thread was started by an atheist who shoves his views down other peoples’ throats complaining about religious people shoving their views down other people’s throats.

Life is a miracle
everything you see around you is a miracle from my point of view
you can think otherwise

you might think it's all out of random chaos
I prefer to see it as organised order and designed

we do get all kinds of science that's wrong also
people can believe what they want to believe
and it's not up to someone who can't prove their theory to tell someone else they're wrong!

nobody can prove what happened before the big bang
out of Africa has been debunked even though it was big a while ago
there's holes in evolution theory
The climate change one is debated vigorously
whatever rocks your boat mate!

The other thing that's important is that many prominent scientists are also religious and therefore it's silly to say it's science or God!
and that religious people are intellectual pygmies!
some of the most outstanding people in history, literature and arts have been religious
and many people who offered very little to culture, humanity etc are atheist

Life is a miracle everything you see around you is a miracle from my point of view

A miracle is an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws. Life on earth can (and has) been explained by science and the evidence for that science is overwhelming.

you can think otherwise

I do think otherwise.

I prefer to see it as organised order and designed

You can prefer it anyway you like. However the evidence doesn't appear to support your premise. There is no evidence for intelligent design.

we do get all kinds of science that's wrong also

That is only the opinion of those who do not understand or have very limited knowledge of science. Like yourself.

people can believe what they want to believe

Usually scientists tend to support a scientific hypothesis or scientific theory on the basis of the amount of robust empirical evidence. Do I need to explain you again what "robust empirical evidence" is?

nobody can prove what happened before the big bang

Including all religions.

out of Africa has been debunked even though it was big a while ago

No it hasn't.

The Out of Africa hypothesis (also called the "recent African origin of modern humans" or sometimes "Out of Africa II", "recent single-origin hypothesis (RSOH)", "replacement hypothesis", or "recent African origin model (RAO)" ) remains the dominant model of the geographic origin and early migration of anatomically modern humans about 300,000 to 200,000 years ago, in a number of waves.

I hope you're not going to suggest that all humans are descended solely from one male and female human. DNA studies have comprehensively disproven that.

there's holes in evolution theory

All piece of evidence across a wide variety of scientific fields supports the theory of evolution. This has already been explained to you repeatedly.

The climate change one is debated vigorously

I don't think there's any question that climate change is occurring. Just like it has in the past.

What's debated amongst scientists is:
- the type, amount and speed of change
- the contribution of humans to that change

Although the vast majoriy of climate scientists agree human activity is contributing. As such given the evidence presented I see no evidence to doubt that broad conclusion.

Last edited:
That is only the opinion of those who do not understand or have very limited knowledge of science. Like yourself.

Usually scientists tend to support a scientific hypothesis or scientific theory on the basis of the amount of robust empirical evidence. Do I need to explain you again what "robust empirical evidence" is?

Including all religions.

No it hasn't.

The Out of Africa hypothesis (also called the "recent African origin of modern humans" or sometimes "Out of Africa II", "recent single-origin hypothesis (RSOH)", "replacement hypothesis", or "recent African origin model (RAO)" ) remains the dominant model of the geographic origin and early migration of anatomically modern humans about 300,000 to 200,000 years ago, in a number of waves.

I hope you're not going to suggest that all humans are descended solely from one male and female human. DNA studies have comprehensively disproven that.

All piece of evidence across a wide variety of scientific fields supports the theory of evolution. This has already been explained to you repeatedly.

I don't think there's any question that climate change is occurring. Just like it has in the past.

Although the vast majoriy of climate scientists agree human activity is contributing. As such given the evidence presented I see no evidence to doubt that broad conclusion.
lots of scientists don't run with the theories proposed in the name of science

you're making things up mate!

we've discussed how theories with a bunch of holes can't be proof

you're telling me stuff that flies against scientific law is proof

but you can't show it as proof except to tell us to accept it as truth

I don't!

I don't mind what you believe in

if you want to believe you used to be non organic matter that turned organic and climbed out of the swamp as a fish and turned into a monkey and then became you it's ok

I won't argue with your belief system of randomness

lol

but don't tell me what I can put in here

I think that's what I'm trying to say

[QUOTE="Roylion, post: 61401025, member:
Usually scientists tend to support a scientific hypothesis or scientific theory on the basis of the amount of robust empirical evidence.

.[/QUOTE]

I’m note sure that “science” has exactly covered itself in glory on the whole AGW thing to be frank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back