Autopsy Bulldogs 103 - Carlton 100. A win, but a loss at the same time?

Agree there, Macrae and Hunter especially. Whilst they’re getting the ball they aren’t damaging enough with it. Macrae reminds me very much of when Matty Boyd played on the ball, got tons of it but wasn’t making it count consistently enough.

Frustratingly Macrae seems to have reverted back to some of the habits that he displayed when he first arrived on the scene. That of the dinky, short kicks at oblique angles and a distinct aversion to the safer long kick to a contest down the line. To my mind although he continues to rack 'em up and put his head over the ball he just hasn't been as effective a mid with ball in hand as he has been in recent years.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Simple :eek:ff the top of my head

Trengrove is not a key back - he is however a really good back up ruckman
So you play Fletcher or Lewis Young down back - neither will do worse then Trengrove
Trengrove will beat any resting ruckman Carlton uses and will match-up well on Kruizer - Trengrove is also good at winning clearances which decided this game - therefore you have a WIN

Then English doesn't need to spend all his energy on rucking and can rest up forward where he is a serious marking threat - WIN 2
English's presence up forward frees up Naughton and the Bont - WIN 3
Gardner doesn't play WIN 4

I could go on but this is a good start

This is not a good start, it is simply an opinion that says little or nothing about Bevo's competency or ability to coach.

Trengove, Roberts and Lewis are all capable defenders with marginal difference between them. Trengove offers greater versatility, therefore is selected, however, English is (and should) take the lionshare of ruck duties and work with a key forward to rest and swap (this is where Boyd's retirement, Schache's form and Gardiner's inexperience has hampered us). I will back in Schache to play next week and this will enable stronger structure. In any case, I will not attribute the success or failure on this week to week development on Bevo's ability to coach. Nor should you.

Can understand the negativity and we should've won by more, but just as well we didn't lose to Carlton twice in one year. They have a new coach who could be anything, some quality players (Curnow didn't even play last time) and they were gifted several goals. Take the win

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
[QUOTE="Proffessor, post: 61391208, member

Caleb Daniel consistently gifting goal delivering turnovers was also a serious problem again.

Go Dogs.

This is why I think Bevo and the team lack something in their thinking. When Caleb gets the ball around the mid field the ground is wider and the risk to reward ratio is in our favour - because a turnover is not automatically a shot at goal.

Deep in defense however simply demands a more cautious selection of kicks.

And asking him to do both is asking too much

Moreover the entire game plan is then predictably centered around him - meaning, you are asking the opposition to plan to beat Caleb - beat Caleb beat us.

Caleb needs to play around the midfield with the occasional minutes down back when high risk is required.

I also suspect this Caleb obsession down back has buggered up our defensive cohesion because we need to cover his hieght and ensure his not isolated. It’s perhaps no coincidence that almost all our defenders are having sub par years.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think that third quarter and last 10 minutes summed up where we are at. We just couldn’t gain any momentum or stop their run at all. We desperately need Naughton back next year. We desperately need to go and get another quality key forward. Seriously couldn’t understand how we couldn’t wrestle back some momentum or slow down play in the middle when they were getting clearance after clearance.

In saying that, it was nice to finally have a good first quarter!

Martyn_30_

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The backline right now is by far the worst in the comp it’s a disorganised rabble, Carlton only had 45 inside 50s and they weren’t great inside 50s either and manage to still kick a 100. In a season where kicking a 100 points is rare to have four games in a row conceding over 100 is deplorable. It’s an indictment on the more experienced defenders how much Morris’ leadership is missed down there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
So lost on what to do with Naughton. His ceiling is game winning but it's been so long I'm not sure if it's worth keeping him there. Is it because opposition have figured out how to shut him down or is it just because he's 19? I think I'd be happier with him in defence, give Schache a go and let Garnder have two more games to see if he has any chance.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So lost on what to do with Naughton. His ceiling is game winning but it's been so long I'm not sure if it's worth keeping him there. Is it because opposition have figured out how to shut him down or is it just because he's 19? I think I'd be happier with him in defence, give Schache a go and let Garnder have two more games to see if he has any chance.
Naughton HAS to stay fwd. You have a generational talent you keep him fwd and fill the chb position in FA. If he had a more competent setup around him he would thrive. You've got gardner who is as useful as a white crayon up fwd. Guarentee roughy for a year and watch his leading patterns and fwd line craft sky rocket

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I’m sick of the excuses for Cordy. He should be on the 3rd tall blah, blah, blah

The guy has kpp height, been in the system for 4 years and should be lining up on the likes of a McKay or Curnow comfortably. God he if can’t handle Curnow what’s he going to be like against Hawkins, Darling (well we saw that) etc

He has stalled so badly that he’s now trending backward. Needs to simply work harder.

Martyn_30_

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m sick of the excuses for Cordy. He should be on the 3rd tall blah, blah, blah

The guy has kpp height, been in the system for 4 years and should be lining up on the likes of a McKay or Curnow comfortably. God he if can’t handle Curnow what’s he going to be like against Hawkins, Darling (well we saw that) etc

He has stalled so badly that he’s now trending backward. Needs to simply work harder.

I agree if he can’t play on a Curnow type who isn’t a key forward, then he really has no spot in the team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

gimp!

Standus Operatus
Feb 20, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think he works hard but he knows he is limited with his scrawny, lanky body, and he won't ever be the main man. Either bring another one in (Young) and have Cordy play on a smaller opponent or swap him out for another one (Young).

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching the press conference I see it a bit differently. Bevo doesn’t mince words when he’s disappointed andast night he wasn’t that disappointed.

He makes a reasonable point - Carlton knocked off a decent side last week and aside from the weeks leading up to Bolton’s sacking had seriously pushed some sides.

It’s embarrassing blowing a 30 point lead twice but it’s harder to stop sides getting a run on with 666.

He also pretty well explained why Schache and Young weren’t getting a go.

It is what it is - we aren’t having a great season but while English, Dunkley, Lipinski et al are pushing forward there’s hope of a reasonable turnaround.

gimp!

Standus Operatus
Feb 20, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s embarrassing blowing a 30 point lead twice but it’s harder to stop sides getting a run on with 666.

Not ideal to let them get that run on late, but to stop their first run and to blow it out to 5 goals again was a pretty fair effort. No doubt that the introduction of 6-6-6 and no runners makes it a lot tougher to hold onto those leads. After a centre bounce late and a secondary stoppage, you could see Hunter screaming his guts out and marshalling players behind the ball. Smith looked a touch lost as to where he was supposed to be situated at that time so there is still learning to be done.

Not ideal to let them get that run on late, but to stop their first run and to blow it out to 5 goals again was a pretty fair effort. No doubt that the introduction of 6-6-6 and no runners makes it a lot tougher to hold onto those leads. After a centre bounce late and a secondary stoppage, you could see Hunter screaming his guts out and marshalling players behind the ball. Smith looked a touch lost as to where he was supposed to be situated at that time so there is still learning to be done.

I think the no runner rule hurts more than the 6-6-6 rule, especially for such a young team that needs more guidance when possible, not less. Another stupid Gilstapo decision

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bit of an up and down game. We looked unbeatable in parts but just dropped off completely in others.
Pretty much been the case all season, consistency the big issue.

Agree with a few on here, Carlton aren't going terribly atm and were stronger than the last time we played them so to win is good, to smoke them for large parts of the game is also good. To drop off so drastically isn't good, but it mirrors what we've seen for most of the year... lack of consistency.

One thing that was noticeable though is the same muppets in here with their relentless whinging and absolute horse s**t posts. We won for * sake.

Mods, what's the rule on having an end of year thread where we have a Biggest Muppet Poster of the Year poll ? There's a few posters from the last 9 pages of this thread that'd be getting plenty of votes I reckon.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton HAS to stay fwd. You have a generational talent you keep him fwd and fill the chb position in FA. If he had a more competent setup around him he would thrive. You've got gardner who is as useful as a white crayon up fwd. Guarentee roughy for a year and watch his leading patterns and fwd line craft sky rocket

Sorry but eVery word of this is wrong

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Maybe just maybe it’s coz Cordy played his best footy FORWARD!!!!

I’m not sure but I could swear I saw a bloke that looked like him playing in the forward line of a premiership team.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree that the list is good enough. Needs two more QUALITY talls and some more mature on-field leaders. Our backline and forward line are both probably the worst in the league regardless of who we select or dont select. The only reason we win games is because of our elite young midfielders. Whether or not Bevo shares the blame for our list management I dont know, nor do I care. Im not interested in pointing fingers when I don't have all the facts. But I strongly doubt any coach would be getting better results with the list in its current state.
I think this is one of your best posts. Did it correlate with your state of lucidity* somehow? [*Hope that's a word. :think:]
:thumbsu:

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
The little fella is an integral part of the team and his decision making is one of the main reasons we clear the defensive lines and set up opportunities, but - there are critical times when it should be apparent that a long kick out of danger, even if only temporary, is the option. When he's doing the CD shuffle trying to break an opponent for more than a few seconds - clearing kick. When the other team has had a run on, and the team is in panick mode, from a point kick-in - kick it long.

I dont think this is revisionist. There have been multiple occasions in recent seasons where a clearing kick would relieve pressure and im convinced it'd pick up 2-4 goals a game from defense errors.
Yeah agree

It is frustrating why they sometimes don't play the percentages, go down the line and try and force a boundary throw in or something, just to reset and get their breath back.

I'm convinced it's a coaching direction to hold possession of the footy at all times if possible, even when it's super risky in doing so/or hurts the teams productivity.

Back