Recommitted Brodie Grundy [re-signed for seven years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately thats not how free agency works. Im sure Buddy didnt want to screw over the Hawks.
Will tell Pies end of this year if he wants to go back to SA so we can trade for him, again a big IF he was to leave. He won't wait until he is an FA, actually he will be a RFA so we would match and force a trade.....Hypothetically.

In the last 10 years, how many pick 1s except maybe Walsh has remotely gotten close or are on track to become close to Grundys value and ability at the age of 25-26?

Kinda funny how crows supporters are relying on grundys RESTRICTED free agent year... we are matching whatever you throw our way and Grundy is a smart bloke he most likely will understand the financial incentives post footy season by playing with us.

In the last 10 years, how many pick 1s except maybe Walsh has remotely gotten close or are on track to become close to Grundys value and ability at the age of 25-26?

Kinda funny how crows supporters are relying on grundys RESTRICTED free agent year... we are matching whatever you throw our way and Grundy is a smart bloke he most likely will understand the financial incentives post footy season by playing with us.
Don’t take it personally! Having a team full of stars means salary cap will be tight. Adelaide will have gotten rid of big contracts in Betts, Jacobs, Jenkins so would expect to be able to outspend Collingwood.

Unless the Crows are prepared to offer a Franklin type deal ..they may as well try to trade for him now... Pies will match nearly any deal... so trade now.. or wait 3 year for ufa.
remember that if Collingwood match a RFA bid at the end of 2020 when he is out of contract, it means that a trade must happen if Grundy demands out (not saying he will and I think this is all rubbish anyway). The crows will be much much better to wait till then and even if it costs 2 x 1sts to get the deal done, it is much better than having to give up a likely pick 1 or 2 this year just to save on 1 year of playing time. This is purely looking at it from a draft perspective - not the output that Grundy would give which is pure top end

remember that if Collingwood match a RFA bid at the end of 2020 when he is out of contract, it means that a trade must happen if Grundy demands out (not saying he will and I think this is all rubbish anyway). The crows will be much much better to wait till then and even if it costs 2 x 1sts to get the deal done, it is much better than having to give up a likely pick 1 or 2 this year just to save on 1 year of playing time. This is purely looking at it from a draft perspective - not the output that Grundy would give which is pure top end

If Collingwood match ... a trade does NOT have to happen..it means they have offer a contract of equal worth. So unless the Crows are prepared to offer something like 7 year s, something unmatchable ( a Buddy deal etc)..then they may as well trade while they have collateral.

Sure if Grundy say no to Pies match and say he wants out .. Crows then have to try to find picks to do it as an uncontracted player.

If Collingwood match ... a trade does NOT have to happen..it means they have offer a contract of equal worth. So unless the Crows are prepared to offer something like 7 year s, something unmatchable ( a Buddy deal etc)..then they may as well trade while they have collateral.

Sure if Grundy say no to Pies match and say he wants out .. Crows then have to try to find picks to do it as an uncontracted player.
That is the key..I think you are right on the matching of bids that a deal does not have to happen on reading up on it..unless Grundy decides he wants to leave. Recalling the dangerfield situation, the crows apparently told Dangerfield and his management they would match any bid by Geelong to ensure a better trade was gained, unless the rules have changed, I suspect the same would apply to Grundy if he told Collingwood he was out at the end of next year (that collingwood can choose to match to ensure they get a better trade)

And this is why the crows would be wise to wait till next year and not burn pick 1 this year when they can get a top mid and maybe get Grundy next year - if there is even a skerrick of truth behind the 'reports'

That is the key..I think you are right on the matching of bids that a deal does not have to happen on reading up on it..unless Grundy decides he wants to leave. Recalling the dangerfield situation, the crows apparently told Dangerfield and his management they would match any bid by Geelong to ensure a better trade was gained, unless the rules have changed, I suspect the same would apply to Grundy if he told Collingwood he was out at the end of next year (that collingwood can choose to match to ensure they get a better trade)

And this is why the crows would be wise to wait till next year and not burn pick 1 this year when they can get a top mid and maybe get Grundy next year - if there is even a skerrick of truth behind the 'reports'

I suspect they informed Danger and Geelong they would match up to "X" ..so unless you are going to really go big then we work a deal out..and they did.. and thus no match.

Overall I can see why the AFLPA wan to get rid of RFA at 8 years. Any player with 8 years in system should have their choice of environment imo.

As tempting as #1 would be .. you have a chance to either look at Grundy or even talk to GC or use it and then worry about the other players next year. Id draw attention to the likely P1 is either of Anderson or Rowell both Vics. Some tough choices

AFL clubs have all season to match a free agent offer, it just becomes public during the Free Agency window. They know exactly what they are bidding against.

They must match the length and total dollar figure, within their existing salary cap structure, to match a restricted free agent bid. They can put all the money in the last year if they need to.

Free agent deals have a minimum of two years.

A club could offer a restricted free agent $4,000,000 over two years, he would than be able to sign an extension adding further years but I don't believe the initial contract value can be redistributed. You would have a situation where a player is paid;
$2,000,000 - year one
$2,000,000 - year two
$150,000 - year three
$150,000 - year four
$150,000 - year five

For a total of $4,450,000 over five, averaged at $890,000.

The issue for a club attempting such a plan is that after two years the player is a free agent again, AFL players are now free agents for the remainder of their careers once they have that status. Delisted free agents included.

He should re-sign. However matching his RFA contract is a no brainer if he wants to leave. Providing we can because we should be a top 6 club next year. We would also be targeting the players of any club for a trade especially Vic players in non-vic clubs. Both GWS and Brisbane had to pay a lot for the players they took off the pies. Even Wellingham and Dawes got us good trade value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide were going to be able to outbid Geelong, different situation. Geelong decided going straight to a trade would be quicker as Adelaide would’ve matched.

Adelaide appears to be able to outbid Collingwood.
I’m sorry, I didn’t know you had access to what both Adelaide and Collingwood’s salary cap situations will be in 2020.

No question a contracted Grundy is worth pick 1 but as a supporter I am more keen for the club to hold fire and take Anderson or Rowell to plug another hole in our midfield with the likely pick 1/2 we are going to get from Carlton. If Grundy signs on with Collingwood in the interim so be it but if not, then next year - 2 x 1st rounders with a likely 2nd coming back is the going rate for a topline player out of contract (I am sure that collingwood would make sure they matched any RFA big to force a trade) and I would be fine with the crows parting with a 2020 & 2021 1st to do a deal
Get Grundy and you plug multiple holes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back