Analysis The Case for Plan B and how it can be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Throwing has become a blight this season. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the umps have been instructed to let it go in order to keep the game flowing.
It’s been like it for a few years now.

And yeah I have no doubt that they’ve been instructed to turn a blind eye to it unless it’s very obvious.

There definitely has been some amendments since the Geelong game - most notably the forward flankers are no longer playing strictly goal-side of their opponents and are pushing much higher up the ground, often into the defensive zone, helping to block lead-up areas of opposition forwards. This is also providing an additional counterattacking outlet as they are presenting in the corridor as soon as the defence is able to gain possession.

Cripps in particular is being deployed in a more expansive role as evidenced by the recent jump in his distance covered figures.

As for the Melbourne game, I'm in alignment with your thoughts. The Demons committed extras to the stoppages on the back of Gawn's ruck dominance and tried to emulate Port's play-on mentality to keep the defence from settling from there. Two things occurred in the last quarter that in my opinion proved decisive:
  • Melbourne tired - Back-to-back road trips playing an exhaustive style that cannot be maintained for four quarters. As Gawn tired, his taps became less decisive and the clean clearances from Melbourne that caught out the defence earlier in the game dried up. With slower ball movement from the Demons and extras trying to get up the ground, McGovern and Hurn were able to zone off opponents and intercept mark.
  • Change in possession mentality - Rather than trying to be clean and play perfect football it became don't think, get it forward and apply pressure. Lots of tap ons and flicks forward over trying to take outright possession and handball. With Melbourne's midfield guilty of following the ball, clearing the initial contest and tackle zone through knocking it forward allowed the spread of Eagles players waiting on the outside to become involved and move the ball quickly into attack, completely exposing the injury-impacted defence of the Demons.

I do wonder if this has been a fitness issue in regards to our HFF's in the lead up to our season. Cripps, Venables and Rioli ( In Willies case an injury in the lead up) have all been injured or had a lack of pre-season which hasn't aloud them to push up the ground as easily. Cripps has built his fitness up enough to the point he is clocking up just as many K's as Gaff. Once Rioli gets back to peak fitness then look out!

Interesting to see our tackle numbers since the Geelong game.

We were getting in the 30-59 zone up to & including that game.

Since then 87, 51, 75, 100. So it looks like we have amped that area up to keep teams from running away with it easily in the midfield.

Looking at individual midfielders tackle stats:

Yeo had 10 in the first 10 rounds
7, 8, 12, 6, 16, 15 since then

Redden 15 in first 5 round - 13, 3, 2, 15 since then.

Shuey averaged about 6 for first 8 rounds - 12 & 10 last 2 games

Gaff, Hutchings, Rioli, Pettr. pretty consistent with tackles per game (3-4)

Masten was averaging 2 before being dropped

Out rucken have been doing ok with tackles getting 6-ish per game.

So it seems that Yeo, Shuey and Redden have bumped up the tackle output with the addition of Cripps.

Throwing has become a blight this season. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the umps have been instructed to let it go in order to keep the game flowing.

Not just this season - Hawthorn did it consistently and WB used it as a tactic in their Premiership year.

Maybe I've just noticed it more in 2019.

Throwing the ball is a bit of a pet hate of mine. Propelling the ball forward with what is supposed to be the stationary hand (WB), throwing it over the head or dropping it to a teammate's advantage the second a tackle happens (Haw). Grrrr.

Dylan82

What do you make of the changes to our gameplan since you wrote the OP? Originally you suggested that a press would be a good backup for when oppo forwards were zoning off our defenders in order to create extra numbers at the stoppages. To my eye watching on TV this change seems to have been implemented to reasonably good effect. In recent weeks we are seeing all of Sheppard, Schofield, Jetta, McGovern, Cole getting possessions in the forward half. I'd also suggest we're seeing a lot less intercept marks from the guys we would usually expect to be taking them, but that would be an expected result of such a change, and based on the results, not a cause for concern.

Any thoughts?

It seems like we are willing to go heavy on tackles if teams are trying the play on at all costs route. And Gaff is getting a lot more of his possessions in our defensive 50m atm.

Adding Rioli back into team helps as has improved fitness of Cripps.

Dylan82

What do you make of the changes to our gameplan since you wrote the OP? Originally you suggested that a press would be a good backup for when oppo forwards were zoning off our defenders in order to create extra numbers at the stoppages. To my eye watching on TV this change seems to have been implemented to reasonably good effect. In recent weeks we are seeing all of Sheppard, Schofield, Jetta, McGovern, Cole getting possessions in the forward half. I'd also suggest we're seeing a lot less intercept marks from the guys we would usually expect to be taking them, but that would be an expected result of such a change, and based on the results, not a cause for concern.

Any thoughts?

Apologies for missing this one earlier.

I would say the team has made extra effort in making sure numbers around stoppages are equal and accountable - directly by moving a HFF position onto the ball, but also indirectly by having defenders continuing to mark opposition players when they roam higher up the ground.
By matching stoppage numbers and maintaining the ball in territorial advantage, this recent method shares some similarities with the press that I advocated in the OP.

I was hopeful that the lightbulb moment had occurred for the coaching staff during the Adelaide match - moving Hutchings from the stoppage to an outside opponent, going 100% attack with the inside players and cycling Gaff through the aerobic sweeper role makes the team a far more effective unit in my opinion.

The latest outing against the Swans however gives me a lot of cause for concern. Sydney did what they always do, flood and counter - there is nothing at all tactically nuanced about them. Read this report from last year and you will understand my frustration - tactically the club tried the exact same as they have done previously against the Swans and received the same result.

With Sydney simply flooding back with numbers constantly, if there ever was a time to deploy a forward press then this was it.

Instead the Swans extras behind the ball were allowed to become a counterattacking platform, much like as happened in the matches against Port Adelaide and Geelong, with similar results.

Interesting to see our tackle numbers since the Geelong game.

We were getting in the 30-59 zone up to & including that game.

Since then 87, 51, 75, 100. So it looks like we have amped that area up to keep teams from running away with it easily in the midfield.

Looking at individual midfielders tackle stats:

Yeo had 10 in the first 10 rounds
7, 8, 12, 6, 16, 15 since then

Redden 15 in first 5 round - 13, 3, 2, 15 since then.

Shuey averaged about 6 for first 8 rounds - 12 & 10 last 2 games

Gaff, Hutchings, Rioli, Pettr. pretty consistent with tackles per game (3-4)

Masten was averaging 2 before being dropped

Out rucken have been doing ok with tackles getting 6-ish per game.

So it seems that Yeo, Shuey and Redden have bumped up the tackle output with the addition of Cripps.
One midfielder is notable for their absence here. Not mentioning any names. Lets just call him Dom S. or D. Sheed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are we expecting the return of NN to affect our set ups?

Apologies for missing this one earlier.

I would say the team has made extra effort in making sure numbers around stoppages are equal and accountable - directly by moving a HFF position onto the ball, but also indirectly by having defenders continuing to mark opposition players when they roam higher up the ground.
By matching stoppage numbers and maintaining the ball in territorial advantage, this recent method shares some similarities with the press that I advocated in the OP.

I was hopeful that the lightbulb moment had occurred for the coaching staff during the Adelaide match - moving Hutchings from the stoppage to an outside opponent, going 100% attack with the inside players and cycling Gaff through the aerobic sweeper role makes the team a far more effective unit in my opinion.

The latest outing against the Swans however gives me a lot of cause for concern. Sydney did what they always do, flood and counter - there is nothing at all tactically nuanced about them. Read this report from last year and you will understand my frustration - tactically the club tried the exact same as they have done previously against the Swans and received the same result.

With Sydney simply flooding back with numbers constantly, if there ever was a time to deploy a forward press then this was it.

Instead the Swans extras behind the ball were allowed to become a counterattacking platform, much like as happened in the matches against Port Adelaide and Geelong, with similar results.

How are we expecting the return of NN to affect our set ups?

I don't think it will change the overall setup too much as Naitanui will likely occupy the position O.Allen has taken up forward this year.

He will take centre bounce contests but then push forward and play the majority of his minutes there as a 200cm pressure forward.

Where I do expect to see some change is in a more aggressive approach from the team at stoppages when Naitanui is the contesting ruck.

Forward stoppages are going to give teams nightmares; with the midfield brigade at the contest and Ryan, Rioli, Cripps and Cameron on the move and Naitanui with the ability to pick any of them out.

Watch for players decoying off the front of the stoppage to attract opposition markers from the contest (because if they don't get marked, Naitanui taps it over the top to them), which provides more space for the inside clearance players to operate in.

Also lookout for extras floating up from defence to become an outlet off the back of the stoppage - I suspect Jetta may become heavily involved in such a role as the season goes on.

I don't think it will change the overall setup too much as Naitanui will likely occupy the position O.Allen has taken up forward this year.

He will take centre bounce contests but then push forward and play the majority of his minutes there as a 200cm pressure forward.

Where I do expect to see some change is in a more aggressive approach from the team at stoppages when Naitanui is the contesting ruck.

Forward stoppages are going to give teams nightmares; with the midfield brigade at the contest and Ryan, Rioli, Cripps and Cameron on the move and Naitanui with the ability to pick any of them out.

Watch for players decoying off the front of the stoppage to attract opposition markers from the contest (because if they don't get marked, Naitanui taps it over the top to them), which provides more space for the inside clearance players to operate in.

Also lookout for extras floating up from defence to become an outlet off the back of the stoppage - I suspect Jetta may become heavily involved in such a role as the season goes on.

Gaff has had success in the Jetta role you describe when we have inside 50 ball stoppages. He's usually third in line in a chain of handballs in the right hand pocket that allows him to get onto the left boot in that natural arc and hit the scoreboard.

I reckon he had a run of games where the same set play occured. Hasn't hit the scoreboard as much this year as Dom takes that role perhaps? Or we are just too efficient forwards and don't get as many stoppages.

Plan B: Season 2021 Update
Twenty-seven months on and apart from a global pandemic, little has changed which has led to a continuance of disappointment and underachievement in the on-field performance of the club.

Frustratingly, much of what is stated within the OP of this thread could have been written today, as the concerns raised remain valid and are preventing this team from achieving its true potential.

So how does one of the best teams on paper in the competition repeatedly end up with such an embarrassing output?

The unfortunate answer is that the club today has by far the worst tactical setup that I have ever seen from any team that is chasing a finals position.

It is at once compromised in both defence and attack and tries to remediate that by running the midfield into the ground, hampering the ability of that group to impact significantly during the latter part of matches.

Time to revisit how this absurdity evolved.

Looking back

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it – George Santayana

Rather than just walking over old ground, I’ll refer to where it has been described previously:

A century ago, the colonial period was brought to a shattering end as the horror of industrialised conflict ravaged the Eurasian landmass. Faced with an invading force from the east, the French dug trenches, held their ground and prevented further occupation of their lands. It took four years until they could finally declare victory.​
However, the lessons they took from the conflict were misguided. They became preoccupied with anchoring upon fixed locations and building massive fortifications as a means to prevent future invasion, forgetting that it was the mobility of their supply lines that enabled them to hold ground and exhaust the foreign advancement.​
A generation later and the fortifications of the Maginot Line turned out to be one of the greatest follies of the 20th century as France fell in six weeks to a German force that was built around mobility.​
Triumph has a habit of making one blind to reality. Overconfidence and confirmation bias over time lead to strengths being overestimated whilst weaknesses are no longer addressed. An unshaking belief in what previously has been successful inevitably leads to damaging exposure in other areas.​
The 2018 Grand Final saw the West Coast Eagles take 104 marks, 23 of those contested, soaring to victory by controlling the ball through dominance of the air.​
But there was another factor – the team became the best contested side in the competition.​
As the following season has progressed however, it is abundantly clear that the increase in contested ball during the 2018 finals series was by good fortune rather than design.​
This year [2019] there has been an unhealthy obsession with trying to win games through dominating contested marks, at the expense of contested ball winning ability, which has been detrimental to the performance of the team.​
This is the cause for the season being derailed.​
Winning the premiership places a team under intense scrutiny unlike anything else. Suddenly there are 17 other teams who are marking their calendars for an opportunity to take you down – each of them pouring over hours upon hours of footage looking for a weakness that can be exploited. There are no matches in isolation for the premiers – if you stumble, everyone else is watching, studying and learning from it.​
So it was for the Eagles in 2019.​
As detailed previously here, the static positioning of the defence allowed opponents to push non-key forwards up the ground, creating additional turnover pressure post-stoppage and avenues through which rapid counterattacks could be launched.​
The band aid response from the team was to move its own non-key half forwards to a more defensive mindset, spending considerably more time up the ground in the defensive half. This served to stem the ease of opposition scoring, but restricted the options for offensive ball movement and further hampered the team’s ability to win contested situations outside of stoppages.​
Thus a team that had seven players averaging over 8 contested possessions per game was also ranked last in the competition for contested possessions overall.​
The aforementioned effect on attacking ball use made the team far more predictable in its movement and opponents set themselves up to ensure that no one-on-one marking contests occurred from the expected kick down the wing to a tall target. Furthermore, this predictability led to an increasing number of opponents fielding Richmond-style counterattacking setups through the midfield corridor in anticipation of the spoil from this contest.​
This is reflected in the changes seen in contested marks and turnovers in 2019 compared to 2018.​
The most damaging development from a tactical perspective however was the negation of the aerobic sweeper role that had played such an important part in 2018’s success. Indeed, by the close of the season this had become so complete that the role itself had become a liability.​
With non-key position forwards curtailing their numbers of aggressive leads ahead of the ball, the onus is increasingly upon the tall forwards as targets in attack – but the predictable ball movement ends up making them play right into the hands of the opposition. Man up the target (usually ruck or third tall) in the corridor and it guarantees that the kick going forward from the defensive half will be towards the key forward that is leading up to the wing. Opponents are also well aware that this no longer represents a dangerous position; even if the ball is marked, if the smalls are not getting into clear space and presenting a short option then the only means left to go forward is to bomb it long in the direction of the remaining key forward. So what does the opposition do? Let the key forward roam up the ground, using the ruckman to check against his marking contests – allowing his defensive counterpart to stay at home as a marking spare. Thus, the ball can be marked, spoiled, roved, whatever – the only way it is getting forward is through a long, high kick to an outnumbered marking contest. It is from this situation that the rot begins.​
The kick comes in; it’s a one-vs-two. The forward gets front position but is restrained by his marker just enough to not give away a free kick but allow his teammate to come across as a spare in front and take the intercept mark. The defence then quickly utilises its superior numbers to launch a counterattacking possession chain through the corridor. It is the template that this team introduced to the competition in 2015 – safe to say that it is disappointing to watch the team now be ravaged by it four years later. It gets worse however; in this situation the aerobic sweeper role from the 2018 gameplan actually makes it easier for opposition counteroffensives to break through the defensive zone and concede “cheap” goals.​
The defence of the Eagles is a fine-tuned machine. It is able to comprehensively shut down opposition attacks and yet still be aggressively counteroffensive when the game is being played on its terms. That last part is the key piece – when the game is being played on its terms – because increasingly so during matches, that is no longer the case and the consequence is a major factor in the undoing of the defence of the premiership.​
Imagine a box stretching from the centre of the ground to 40m from defensive goal one way and the width of the corridor between the wings on the other – that is the no mark zone of the West Coast defence. The entire setup of the defence as a team and its approach is geared towards preventing opposition marks from taking place in this dangerous area and forcing turnovers from intercept marks. To that end it requires the opposition to be forced into rushed decisions to get the ball forward under pressure. Additionally, the aerobic sweeper role adapted from the wing covered the lead-up space ahead of opposition targets in the corridor, ensuring that any attacking kicks coming in would be high and thus to the advantage of the Eagles’ superior marking backmen.​
With the intercept mark taken in the corridor, options for counterattack were then readily available to the left, right and centre. That is the foundation behind the success of 2018.​
But what happens if the intercept mark is not taken? Indeed what happens if the incoming kick bypasses the defensive trap for intercept marking entirely? That fine-tuned defensive machine becomes very vulnerable outside of its comfort zone.​
So now we have an opposition possession chain counterattacking from defence with the aid of numerical supremacy from spares stationed deep behind the ball. The opposition also know to avoid that first option long kick against the Eagles in order to avoid McGovern, Barrass, Hurn, Sheppard etc. Instead they look to handball and run rather than kick. Remember 2006? The way to beat the flood was run and receive – “happy handball” as it was termed at the time. The same can be said of zones; use running chains to pull it out of shape, allowing a position where it can then be rendered useless by kicking over it. Think of it like basketball and the deployment of a compact zone being undone through the execution of play via the high-post.​
When the long kick does not come, it places the entire defence on its heels. McGovern and Barrass have already pushed up and assumed the space ahead of their opponent in preparation to intercept – with the kick not coming, they are now scrambling to get back on their marks with the disadvantage of running towards goal and limited view of where the ball is. The aerobic sweeper continues to cover the lead-up space ahead of targets in the corridor, but all that does now is provide additional space for the opposition to continue the possession chain and progress into a dangerous attacking area forward of centre. When the kick does come it is deep and beyond where the defensive zone was set. In the resulting confusion to cover tall forwards, opposing non-key forwards are often able to find space behind the defence and get easy goals. All the while half the crowd boos whilst the other half are screaming out “How the %#@& did that happen?!”.
So how does a favourite for the premiership end up with ball movement that is comparable to that of bottom 4 clubs in the competition?​
  1. The West Coast premiership defence remains static, so opponents push additional numbers up the ground in order to create running counteroffensive chains rather than kick long to the awaiting intercept mark.
    1. Response is to place greater defensive accountability upon players in attacking positions to deny the opponent from moving through the corridor and occupy space in front of the defence. This stemmed the ease of opposition scoring, but restricted the options for offensive ball movement and further hampered the team’s ability to win contested situations outside of stoppages.
    2. With ball movement increasingly compromised and predictable, opponents started using Richmond-style territory and turnover-ball tactics against the club to good effect. The response once again has been a demand for greater defensive accountability across the ground to prevent the turnover from becoming an opposition scoring opportunity. This has resulted in a significant positional compression of the team defensively, particularly when the opponent is able to gain the advantage of contested situations. This then has the effect of a feedback loop, whereby the defensive compression further limits the options available for attacking ball movement, allowing the opponent to dominate territory and apply more pressure, which leads to yet greater defensive compression.
The midfield is spending so much time tracking back and shielding the defence that their impact at the offensive end of the ground is negligible.​
Putting it simply, the team has become increasingly defensive in its mindset over time, to the point where the response to opposing midfield dominance is now to flood back in numbers like it’s the year 2000. As you can imagine, under such circumstances ball movement becomes utterly one-dimensional and any forward pressure applied is rendered useless.​
With so many players stationed defensively behind the ball, it also means the club has not been able to capitalise effectively when clearances are won.​
As a result, the club has found itself becoming more and more reliant upon scoring from centre bounces, where the opponent is unable to field a defensive spare. Indeed, during the club’s last match (the Elimination Final against Collingwood) 5 of the total of 11 goals were scored directly from centre bounces. Unfortunately, despite how potent a force Naitanui can be in such situations, centre bounces alone will never remedy the ailments elsewhere on the field.​

And that takes us to 2021, approaching the season with a gameplan that had overwhelmingly pruned back its offensive capability to maintain defensive cohesion in the face of opposing counterattacks.

Then, of course, the rules changed. Turning the mark into a witches’ hat turbocharged how teams could move the ball forward quickly, especially out of the defensive half. Any clubs already vulnerable to quick transition were set to become cannon fodder if they failed to adapt.

The rule changes did not flip over the table and fundamentally change the game – they just accelerated a process towards more direct ball movement that was already underway; a process that over time increasingly placed the club at odds with the rest of the competition.

Opponents came to learn that creating an outnumber through the corridor and linking disposal to shorter targets, rather than kicking long, rips apart the defensive zone of West Coast, creating an easy avenue to goal. Warning signs have been there for over the past two years – the difference now is that every opponent each week is actively working to undo the club through this soft underbelly.

With the benefit of hindsight, the reluctance to modify the system in both directions was a time bomb that was always going to explode eventually once individual brilliance was no longer sufficient to deliver on-field results.

So where are we now? The club has completely broken down in defensive structure; whilst at the same time is completely unable to transition from defence into attack. The rumour-mill is in full swing; calls coming for coaches to be sacked and players traded; whispers of disunity among the playing group; Nisbitt making unnecessary public statements – needless to say, the papers are doing well at the moment due to the club’s predicament.

And yet the club remains in a top eight position with three matches remaining before finals.

Strange times indeed.

Looking in the wrong places

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; only converted from one form to another – First Law of Thermodynamics, the Law of Conservation of Energy

Energy. We keep hearing about how the club apparently needs more of it – however it remains questionable whether that will do much to address the tactical problems currently faced by the club.

Let’s face it, allowing an opponent 156 uncontested marks goes beyond whatever level of energy that the team may have – it only happens when your tactical setup is utterly incapable of containing the opposition.

It has little to do with energy when the opposition is able to walk through defensive holes in the middle of the ground, because the zone prioritises marking space over players, to the point where once opposing ball gets to the centre square the defence is opened up so comprehensively that it all but guarantees a shot on goal from directly in front.

The Telstra Tracker figures for the aerobic performance of both teams in the Round 20 match against Collingwood are similar, which dispels the obvious myth that the loss was due to being comprehensively outrun or due to a lack of effort by the players. One team ran effectively, engaging dangerous positions; the other ran wildly to guard redundant space.

01-Tracker.jpg

Considering the club continues to obsessively select squads that are overly tall, such instruction to run when the team currently features a midfield full of players that clearly remain underdone in their conditioning, combined with less rotational support, is a recipe for a dropoff in midfield output (both offensively and defensively) to occur during matches.

Should it really any surprise then when the club concedes so many easy points late in matches?

02 - Qtrs Differential.jpg

As you can see opponents are able to burst out of the blocks against West Coast in 2021 as the system allows them to dominate possession. In response, the Eagles invariably push additional numbers up the ground to fill in holes, chase space and rally briefly; but all the extra effort in chasing shadows wears the team down, leaving the opponent free to re-gain dominance of possession during later stages – this time however, with much lower pressure being applied against them, the opponent is able to convert that dominance into easy goals on the scoreboard.

Only the bottom-placed Kangaroos have conceded more points during last quarters this season than West Coast.

03 - Q4 Points Conceded.jpg

The second-oldest playing list in the competition, with a ruckman that averages less than 70% time on ground, combined with a playing squad that incorporates 6-7 other key talls, in addition to restoration of 20 minute quarters, reduced rotations, shortened preseason and midfielders returning from long-term injuries…

And yet the approach is to somehow out-work the opponent and close out space, primarily through aerobic effort, in order to pin them down and gain territorial superiority.

Running is simply not a strength of this West Coast team, especially so when selection keeps finding places for unnecessary numbers of key-sized players – so expecting it to cover more ground than the opponent as a means of maintaining defensive cohesion is utterly foolish – and unfortunately will more often than not, lead to disappointing outcomes of the type that we been seeing of late.

Having more “energy” won’t make Naitanui into an 85% time on ground ruckman, much like getting Langdon to run 14km+ up the ground chasing grass won’t help the team to win ground balls in attack.

It is one thing to work hard, gut run and show effort – but if that extra effort leads to little in outcome other than early fatigue which allows the opponent to take hold of the game – then it just becomes dumb football.

Undone

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results — Winston Churchill

Collingwood are a poor team. Even after the Round 20 performance they remain last in the competition for averages in metres gained, inside 50s and clearances; second-last for contested possessions and third-last for points scored.

Yet by half time they were ahead of West Coast 61-11.

The Magpies ended up scoring 14 goals:
  • 13 came via ball use through the corridor
  • 10 came from West Coast turnovers
  • 9 came from chains that began in the defensive half of the ground
All the flaws in the current system were laid bare - the Eagles gave the ball away going forward and then simply could not prevent the Magpies from generating attack out of defence.

Robert Harvey, looking for just his second victory whilst in charge, simply instructed his team to perform the following:
  • Run the lanes
  • Look for the short option
  • Generate extra numbers in the corridor
  • Move the ball quickly at every opportunity
Really simple stuff. But that is all that is necessary to break the Eagles’ defence. There is nothing novel about what Collingwood did; indeed, several teams had already done as such earlier in the season.

West Coast still have not adapted to the changes made to the on the mark rule. Defensively, the Eagles still actively allow for the opposition to mark on the defensive side of the corridor – previously the mark would be held up and the subsequent kick would be directed either wide to the wing or long towards the intercept marking prowess waiting in the West Coast backline. This year however, that mark is able to offload to an overlap runner or pivot and spot-up a short target, circumventing the zone in the middle of the ground entirely and providing opportunity for very dangerous entries into attack.

This is clearly evident when one looks at the average metres gained per disposal of opponents:

04 - Oppn MG per Disposal.jpg

Opponents create more short disposal possession chains against West Coast than any other team in the competition.

With the offensive capability teams now have at their disposal due to the recent rule changes, the days of being able to zone space through the middle are gone – if an opposing player is there somebody must go to them and mark up.

The dominance of “space” zones that are analogous to those utilised in soccer and hockey and are based more towards containing or directing opposing ball use in a certain way, is over. In their place are basketball-style “track” or hybrid zones, where players will track man-on-man with an opposing counterpart when play is in certain areas of the ground.

The first hurdle the club must overcome on the road to redemption is the abandonment of the zone defence as it currently stands.

The second hurdle relates to the ease in which opponents are able to accumulate possession. West Coast are not just bad – they are in a category all to themselves kind of bad when it comes to opposition dominance of ball.

05 - Oppn Effective Disposal.jpg

The club are on average conceding more than 70 additional effective disposals per game in comparison to Geelong – that is the equivalent of providing the opponent with an extra three good players on the ground.

The Round 20 match was the third time in 2021 that the club found itself losing uncontested possessions by more than 100. In more than half of matches this season, the Eagles have lost uncontested possessions by 30 or more.

So, what’s up with that? A club with a (on paper at least) strong midfield contingent that includes arguably the best outside runner of the past decade in Gaff but is being repeatedly obliterated for outside ball by opponents. The answer, once again, lies in tactical absurdity.

As has been described previously on several occasions now, opponents look to nullify the stoppage impact of Naitanui by creating extras through the middle, usually from half forward as the West Coast defence prefers to hold their position rather than track opponents up the ground.

With the advantage of unchecked extras around stoppage, opponents are able to actively block out the primary midfielders of the Eagles, whilst leaving open channels for their team-mates to exploit in the advent of them winning the clearance. The effect can be observed in the contrast for the club between clearances from centre bounces (where opponents cannot create extras due to 6-6-6 positioning) and those from stoppages where those opposing extras are able to be involved:

06 - Clearance Differential.jpg

Only Richmond (who actively remove players from stoppage to setup their turnover-based gameplan) and the bottom-placed Kangaroos have a greater disparity between output at centre bounce and stoppage.

With the team struggling to break even in the middle, the go-to response by the Eagles post-2018 is to cannibalise the forward line and repurpose it as additional cover for the under-pressure defence. The result is West Coast forwards often end up spending significant periods away from where they would usually be expected to operate and forward half pressure unsurprisingly drops off a cliff. A prime example is the current use of Langdon, who has become the latest re-tread version of the redundant aerobic sweeping “Masten” role – occupying so much time in the defensive half of the ground that he is no longer really playing as a forward at all.

Of course, limiting the attack in such a way creates its own set of problems that are arguably far worse than the problem it is setting out to address. It is here that opponents are able to reaffirm their transition game, counterattacking from defence and where the club’s own ball movement from the back half suffers a lonely, withering death.

Rather, one should work to prevent the opposition from creating those midfield extras in the first place.

The third piece that requires correction is offensive ball movement (or the lack thereof).

What is the point of trying to control possession if no ground is being gained? As we as fans are all too aware, much to our frustration, the West Coast will voluntarily lose territory not just once, but multiple times in a match, trying to manufacture a slow switch in play that will never open up the opposing defence and only results in additional pressure being placed upon the Eagles’ defence that was completely unnecessary.

But for what reason is the retreat in the first place? No other club in the entire competition exhibits such risky activity that is so lacking in reward. Perhaps that is because there is a lack of options to kick to as the West Coast forwards are spending so much time up the ground to cover space defensively that they are often unavailable as offensive targets up forward. Thus the current situation is brought about, typified by slow, predictable ball movement that does not pose a threat to the opposing defence, ranking dead last of all teams for generating scores from the defensive half.

Get players ahead of the ball, stretch the opposing defence and provide those defenders with something to be worried about that creates uncertainty in terms of their positioning – that is how you create the opportunity for swift and direct ball movement that can tear a team to pieces.

A familiar solution

We are defined by what we do repeatedly; therefore excellence is a habit, not an act – Aristotle

West Coast has thus far in 2021, performed well below their potential capability. The current position of the club on the ladder however, is reflective of its level of performance this year:

07 - vs Opponents.jpg

So how can this gap in unfulfilled potential be bridged? And perhaps, just as importantly, how can necessary change be successfully implemented at such short notice, with just three matches remaining before finals?

Recall those three areas that need to be addressed:
  • Abandon the current zone defence
  • Prevent the opponent from positioning extras through the middle of the ground
  • Get more players ahead of the ball

Each of those can be addressed through the implementation of a fairly simple hybrid press.

Sound familiar? It was postulated in the OP of this thread:

When I don't have control of the ball, what do I do? I press to get it back. It's a way of defending – Johan Cruyff​
A press. How very Richmond I hear you say.​
So what I say. The Tigers didn’t invent it and don’t own it – it’s a proven method that is clinical with the correct application. Let’s not forget this is about how to return the team to winning ways after all. I’d prefer to win ugly than have another ugly capitulation. “Dirty” football is a disaster against a well-executed press.​
But how should such a method be best implemented, given the squad and its current tactical foundation?​
In order to deploy a high forward press, the following structural changes are required:​
Maximum of two key forwards:
It is abundantly clear that the team is currently too tall in attack, especially if it is to consider the implementation of a forward press. At all times, only a maximum of two key-sized players (inclusive of any resting rucks) should be occupying the attacking end of the ground to ensure the emphasis of the press upon speed, tackling and pressure is maintained.​
Removal of a specialist defender for an additional midfielder:
With defenders pushed up the ground to negate opposition extras, it becomes preferable for one of those specialist defenders to be replaced by a midfielder who is capable of covering more ground and getting involved in possessive chains.​
If the team is required to switch back to the controlled game plan, an option such as Yeo or Redden would be able to fill the vacancy.​
Now those are not significant changes, indeed it could be argued that the former of the two should have already been enacted several weeks ago.​
This is the answer to how the club should reinvent itself in order to counter opposition tactics of extras positioning behind the ball.​

Time to expand upon that further and offer a solution to the club’s current woes:

08 - Press Positions.jpg

A press anchored at half forward supersedes the redundant zone sitting in the defensive half.

Attack:

A forward line that is mobile, maintains players ahead of ball, stretches the opposing defence and takes away the easy option for opponents to rebound out through the corridor. Despite being a press, only five specialist forward positions are used and just two of those are key-sized – there is no “land of the giants” trash going on here. Similarly, any notion of a “Neo-Masten” aerobic sweeping defensive forward is dead, buried and cremated. This is emphasis on mobility, pressure and creativity – keeping these positions forward of centre at all times and ruthlessly turning opposition turnovers into scoring opportunity.

The full forward remains deep near the goalsquare, granting them plenty of space to lead into and making any opposing defensive sweepers accountable. Specialist small forwards are positioned around CHF for both the immediate ground ball from marking contests and as overlapping secondary disposal options running in towards goal. One of those positions starts as a floater on the attacking side of forward half stoppages before going forward to hit the spillage drop zone of marking contests at pace – in a similar way to how S.Bolton is used at his most damaging at Richmond.

Defence:

A back seven featuring a pair of inverse wingers that operates more as a back five for much of the time. The inverse wings start from defensive positions and run lanes through the corridor, offering additional offensive support to the midfield and greater capability in marking opposing players in the middle of the ground. These are positions that are capable of taking possession, taking the game on and switching lanes quickly through good decisions and disposal. An ideal example of such positions used effectively is Sydney with J.Dawson and J.Lloyd.

Of the three key talls in defence, one is given greater latitude to peel away from their mark and work aggressively as the primary interceptor of incoming disposal from the opposition. Another advantage of having this number of key players down back is that one can be called upon to fulfil secondary ruck duties, leaving the structure of the forward press unaffected.

The emphasis here is to have a defence that is robust against incoming attacks, but also capable of transitioning possession quickly and feeding it through the corridor.

Midfield:

The wings start high and stay high, providing width to what is otherwise a narrow forward line. They track back defensively, but their primary instructions are to provide an outlet ahead of the ball and cut-off any diagonal kick from the opposition defence that is targeting the corridor.

The rest of the midfield group keep narrow in their positioning, ensuring representation of numbers in dangerous areas in the middle of the ground. This is also where the hybrid-nature of this press comes into play – anywhere on the ground within a rectangle bounded by the painted numbers on the 50 metre arcs, opposition players are tightly marked with as little space given as possible (i.e. in the corridor, between the arcs, defence is man-on-man).

When in possession, they look for the lane runners in the middle to get the ball forward rather than bombing it without purpose.

This is a fairly simple plan – I do not see it unreasonable to believe that a squad currently practising a far more complex set of instructions could gain knowledge of its execution pretty quickly.

Put all these pieces together and I have no doubt that you would see a remarkably different looking team in both approach and performance, despite little change in playing personnel.

This season remains incredibly open – all that is necessary is for a team to find a good vein of form at the right time and they can be the last team standing. Nobody gave the Bulldogs a chance in 2016 after losing to 16th placed Fremantle by four goals leading into finals – yet four weeks later they were being crowned premiers.

John Lennon may have said that “All you need is love”, but in football all you need is four good weeks.

With the right setup and outlook, there remains no reason those weeks cannot belong to the West Coast Eagles.

Twenty-seven months on and apart from a global pandemic, little has changed which has led to a continuance of disappointment and underachievement in the on-field performance of the club.

Frustratingly, much of what is stated within the OP of this thread could have been written today, as the concerns raised remain valid and are preventing this team from achieving its true potential.

So how does one of the best teams on paper in the competition repeatedly end up with such an embarrassing output?

The unfortunate answer is that the club today has by far the worst tactical setup that I have ever seen from any team that is chasing a finals position.

It is at once compromised in both defence and attack and tries to remediate that by running the midfield into the ground, hampering the ability of that group to impact significantly during the latter part of matches.

Looking back

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it – George Santayana

Rather than just walking over old ground, I’ll refer to where it has been described previously:

And that takes us to 2021, approaching the season with a gameplan that had overwhelmingly pruned back its offensive capability to maintain defensive cohesion in the face of opposing counterattacks.

Then, of course, the rules changed. Turning the mark into a witches’ hat turbocharged how teams could move the ball forward quickly, especially out of the defensive half. Any clubs already vulnerable to quick transition were set to become cannon fodder if they failed to adapt.

The rule changes did not flip over the table and fundamentally change the game – they just accelerated a process towards more direct ball movement that was already underway; a process that over time increasingly placed the club at odds with the rest of the competition.

Opponents came to learn that creating an outnumber through the corridor and linking disposal to shorter targets, rather than kicking long, rips apart the defensive zone of West Coast, creating an easy avenue to goal. Warning signs have been there for over the past two years – the difference now is that every opponent each week is actively working to undo the club through this soft underbelly.

With the benefit of hindsight, the reluctance to modify the system in both directions was a time bomb that was always going to explode eventually once individual brilliance was no longer sufficient to deliver on-field results.

So where are we now? The club has completely broken down in defensive structure; whilst at the same time is completely unable to transition from defence into attack. The rumour-mill is in full swing; calls coming for coaches to be sacked and players traded; whispers of disunity among the playing group; Nisbitt making unnecessary public statements – needless to say, the papers are doing well at the moment due to the club’s predicament.

And yet the club remains in a top eight position with three matches remaining before finals.

Strange times indeed.

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; only converted from one form to another – First Law of Thermodynamics, the Law of Conservation of Energy

Energy. We keep hearing about how the club apparently needs more of it – however it remains questionable whether that will do much to address the tactical problems currently faced by the club.

Let’s face it, allowing an opponent 156 uncontested marks goes beyond whatever level of energy that the team may have – it only happens when your tactical setup is utterly incapable of containing the opposition.

It has little to do with energy when the opposition is able to walk through defensive holes in the middle of the ground, because the zone prioritises marking space over players, to the point where once opposing ball gets to the centre square the defence is opened up so comprehensively that it all but guarantees a shot on goal from directly in front.

The Telstra Tracker figures for the aerobic performance of both teams in the Round 20 match against Collingwood are similar, which dispels the obvious myth that the loss was due to being comprehensively outrun or due to a lack of effort by the players. One team ran effectively, engaging dangerous positions; the other ran wildly to guard redundant space.

Considering the club continues to obsessively select squads that are overly tall, such instruction to run when the team currently features a midfield full of players that clearly remain underdone in their conditioning, combined with less rotational support, is a recipe for a dropoff in midfield output (both offensively and defensively) to occur during matches.

Should it really any surprise then when the club concedes so many easy points late in matches?

As you can see opponents are able to burst out of the blocks against West Coast in 2021 as the system allows them to dominate possession. In response, the Eagles invariably push additional numbers up the ground to fill in holes, chase space and rally briefly; but all the extra effort in chasing shadows wears the team down, leaving the opponent free to re-gain dominance of possession during later stages – this time however, with much lower pressure being applied against them, the opponent is able to convert that dominance into easy goals on the scoreboard.

Only the bottom-placed Kangaroos have conceded more points during last quarters this season than West Coast.

The second-oldest playing list in the competition, with a ruckman that averages less than 70% time on ground, combined with a playing squad that incorporates 6-7 other key talls, in addition to restoration of 20 minute quarters, reduced rotations, shortened preseason and midfielders returning from long-term injuries…

And yet the approach is to somehow out-work the opponent and close out space, primarily through aerobic effort, in order to pin them down and gain territorial superiority.

Running is simply not a strength of this West Coast team, especially so when selection keeps finding places for unnecessary numbers of key-sized players – so expecting it to cover more ground than the opponent as a means of maintaining defensive cohesion is utterly foolish – and unfortunately will more often than not, lead to disappointing outcomes of the type that we been seeing of late.

Having more “energy” won’t make Naitanui into an 85% time on ground ruckman, much like getting Langdon to run 14km+ up the ground chasing grass won’t help the team to win ground balls in attack.

It is one thing to work hard, gut run and show effort – but if that extra effort leads to little in outcome other than early fatigue which allows the opponent to take hold of the game – then it just becomes dumb football.

Undone

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results — Winston Churchill

Collingwood are a poor team. Even after the Round 20 performance they remain last in the competition for averages in metres gained, inside 50s and clearances; second-last for contested possessions and third-last for points scored.

All the flaws in the current system were laid bare - the Eagles gave the ball away going forward and then simply could not prevent the Magpies from generating attack out of defence.

Robert Harvey, looking for just his second victory whilst in charge, simply instructed his team to perform the following:
  • Run the lanes
Really simple stuff. But that is all that is necessary to break the Eagles’ defence. There is nothing novel about what Collingwood did; indeed, several teams had already done as such earlier in the season.

West Coast still have not adapted to the changes made to the on the mark rule. Defensively, the Eagles still actively allow for the opposition to mark on the defensive side of the corridor – previously the mark would be held up and the subsequent kick would be directed either wide to the wing or long towards the intercept marking prowess waiting in the West Coast backline. This year however, that mark is able to offload to an overlap runner or pivot and spot-up a short target, circumventing the zone in the middle of the ground entirely and providing opportunity for very dangerous entries into attack.

This is clearly evident when one looks at the average metres gained per disposal of opponents:

Opponents create more short disposal possession chains against West Coast than any other team in the competition.

With the offensive capability teams now have at their disposal due to the recent rule changes, the days of being able to zone space through the middle are gone – if an opposing player is there somebody must go to them and mark up.

The dominance of “space” zones that are analogous to those utilised in soccer and hockey and are based more towards containing or directing opposing ball use in a certain way, is over. In their place are basketball-style “track” or hybrid zones, where players will track man-on-man with an opposing counterpart when play is in certain areas of the ground.

The first hurdle the club must overcome on the road to redemption is the abandonment of the zone defence as it currently stands.

The second hurdle relates to the ease in which opponents are able to accumulate possession. West Coast are not just bad – they are in a category all to themselves kind of bad when it comes to opposition dominance of ball.

The club are on average conceding more than 70 additional effective disposals per game in comparison to Geelong – that is the equivalent of providing the opponent with an extra three good players on the ground.

The Round 20 match was the third time in 2021 that the club found itself losing uncontested possessions by more than 100. In more than half of matches this season, the Eagles have lost uncontested possessions by 30 or more.

So, what’s up with that? A club with a (on paper at least) strong midfield contingent that includes arguably the best outside runner of the past decade in Gaff but is being repeatedly obliterated for outside ball by opponents. The answer, once again, lies in tactical absurdity.

As has been described previously on several occasions now, opponents look to nullify the stoppage impact of Naitanui by creating extras through the middle, usually from half forward as the West Coast defence prefers to hold their position rather than track opponents up the ground.

With the advantage of unchecked extras around stoppage, opponents are able to actively block out the primary midfielders of the Eagles, whilst leaving open channels for their team-mates to exploit in the advent of them winning the clearance. The effect can be observed in the contrast for the club between clearances from centre bounces (where opponents cannot create extras due to 6-6-6 positioning) and those from stoppages where those opposing extras are able to be involved:

Only Richmond (who actively remove players from stoppage to setup their turnover-based gameplan) and the bottom-placed Kangaroos have a greater disparity between output at centre bounce and stoppage.

With the team struggling to break even in the middle, the go-to response by the Eagles post-2018 is to cannibalise the forward line and repurpose it as additional cover for the under-pressure defence. The result is West Coast forwards often end up spending significant periods away from where they would usually be expected to operate and forward half pressure unsurprisingly drops off a cliff. A prime example is the current use of Langdon, who has become the latest re-tread version of the redundant aerobic sweeping “Masten” role – occupying so much time in the defensive half of the ground that he is no longer really playing as a forward at all.

Of course, limiting the attack in such a way creates its own set of problems that are arguably far worse than the problem it is setting out to address. It is here that opponents are able to reaffirm their transition game, counterattacking from defence and where the club’s own ball movement from the back half suffers a lonely, withering death.

Rather, one should work to prevent the opposition from creating those midfield extras in the first place.

The third piece that requires correction is offensive ball movement (or the lack thereof).

What is the point of trying to control possession if no ground is being gained? As we as fans are all too aware, much to our frustration, the West Coast will voluntarily lose territory not just once, but multiple times in a match, trying to manufacture a slow switch in play that will never open up the opposing defence and only results in additional pressure being placed upon the Eagles’ defence that was completely unnecessary.

But for what reason is the retreat in the first place? No other club in the entire competition exhibits such risky activity that is so lacking in reward. Perhaps that is because there is a lack of options to kick to as the West Coast forwards are spending so much time up the ground to cover space defensively that they are often unavailable as offensive targets up forward. Thus the current situation is brought about, typified by slow, predictable ball movement that does not pose a threat to the opposing defence, ranking dead last of all teams for generating scores from the defensive half.

Get players ahead of the ball, stretch the opposing defence and provide those defenders with something to be worried about that creates uncertainty in terms of their positioning – that is how you create the opportunity for swift and direct ball movement that can tear a team to pieces.

A familiar solution

We are defined by what we do repeatedly; therefore excellence is a habit, not an act – Aristotle

West Coast has thus far in 2021, performed well below their potential capability. The current position of the club on the ladder however, is reflective of its level of performance this year:

So how can this gap in unfulfilled potential be bridged? And perhaps, just as importantly, how can necessary change be successfully implemented at such short notice, with just three matches remaining before finals?

Each of those can be addressed through the implementation of a fairly simple hybrid press.

Time to expand upon that further and offer a solution to the club’s current woes:

A press anchored at half forward supersedes the redundant zone sitting in the defensive half.

Attack:

A forward line that is mobile, maintains players ahead of ball, stretches the opposing defence and takes away the easy option for opponents to rebound out through the corridor. Despite being a press, only five specialist forward positions are used and just two of those are key-sized – there is no “land of the giants” trash going on here. Similarly, any notion of a “Neo-Masten” aerobic sweeping defensive forward is dead, buried and cremated. This is emphasis on mobility, pressure and creativity – keeping these positions forward of centre at all times and ruthlessly turning opposition turnovers into scoring opportunity.

The full forward remains deep near the goalsquare, granting them plenty of space to lead into and making any opposing defensive sweepers accountable. Specialist small forwards are positioned around CHF for both the immediate ground ball from marking contests and as overlapping secondary disposal options running in towards goal. One of those positions starts as a floater on the attacking side of forward half stoppages before going forward to hit the spillage drop zone of marking contests at pace – in a similar way to how S.Bolton is used at his most damaging at Richmond.

Defence:

A back seven featuring a pair of inverse wingers that operates more as a back five for much of the time. The inverse wings start from defensive positions and run lanes through the corridor, offering additional offensive support to the midfield and greater capability in marking opposing players in the middle of the ground. These are positions that are capable of taking possession, taking the game on and switching lanes quickly through good decisions and disposal. An ideal example of such positions used effectively is Sydney with J.Dawson and J.Lloyd.

Of the three key talls in defence, one is given greater latitude to peel away from their mark and work aggressively as the primary interceptor of incoming disposal from the opposition. Another advantage of having this number of key players down back is that one can be called upon to fulfil secondary ruck duties, leaving the structure of the forward press unaffected.

The emphasis here is to have a defence that is robust against incoming attacks, but also capable of transitioning possession quickly and feeding it through the corridor.

Midfield:

The wings start high and stay high, providing width to what is otherwise a narrow forward line. They track back defensively, but their primary instructions are to provide an outlet ahead of the ball and cut-off any diagonal kick from the opposition defence that is targeting the corridor.

The rest of the midfield group keep narrow in their positioning, ensuring representation of numbers in dangerous areas in the middle of the ground. This is also where the hybrid-nature of this press comes into play – anywhere on the ground within a rectangle bounded by the painted numbers on the 50 metre arcs, opposition players are tightly marked with as little space given as possible (i.e. in the corridor, between the arcs, defence is man-on-man).

When in possession, they look for the lane runners in the middle to get the ball forward rather than bombing it without purpose.

This is a fairly simple plan – I do not see it unreasonable to believe that a squad currently practising a far more complex set of instructions could gain knowledge of its execution pretty quickly.

Put all these pieces together and I have no doubt that you would see a remarkably different looking team in both approach and performance, despite little change in playing personnel.

This season remains incredibly open – all that is necessary is for a team to find a good vein of form at the right time and they can be the last team standing. Nobody gave the Bulldogs a chance in 2016 after losing to 16th placed Fremantle by four goals leading into finals – yet four weeks later they were being crowned premiers.

John Lennon may have said that “All you need is love”, but in football all you need is four good weeks.

With the right setup and outlook, there remains no reason those weeks cannot belong to the West Coast Eagles.

This, for me, might be analysis of the year 👏👏👏

Looking back

Strange times indeed.

Undone

• Run the lanes

A familiar solution

Attack:

Defence:

Midfield:

Send it to the club, seriously. Almost certainly futile, but maybe not.

Looking back

Strange times indeed.

Undone

• Run the lanes

A familiar solution

Attack:

Defence:

Midfield:

Such a well written, and put together piece. Really interesting.

If I were you, I'd be expecting a call from Simmo and his boys asking you to jump on board.

Looking back

Strange times indeed.

Undone

• Run the lanes

A familiar solution

Attack:

Defence:

Midfield:

I love this. It actually explains what is going wrong. Your solution is also amazingly simple and elegant. It makes me feel a bit depressed that no-one in the club can see this.

If we do one thing in the off season, I hope it is to get at least one assistant from a club that used this blueprint to beat us. Hopefully they sit down on day 1 and explain how dogshit our current gameplan is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back