Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So am I. Main reason being that some of the doubts I had about the prospects of several youngsters has been dispelled; Obrien especially, but also really liked what I saw from Dow.

MK was good in patches, but speculating that had English been playing for the Blues tonight, we'd have won the game by 4 ot 5 goals; his tap work in 1st half was pretty slick.

Respect Murphy's contribution over the years, but he's already received his due accolades for past performances. He now appears cooked.

Murphs, attack on the man with the ball is Putrid.
He gets brushed off way to easily.

Come at me...

The team is going in the Right direction and with a Bullet i might add..

By the way i hope no one gets banned this week, but alas i think i might be to late, Again....

Just like Levi wasnt a few weeks ago?.......And others.....silly thing to say..it changes all the time
players are in the team until they have a poor quarter then it's hastalavistababy...............

In fairness he thinks he is elite :think:

Despite his headline grabbing deliberate controversy and general smugness... as a premiership playing, 4 time B and F winning and 2 X All Australian (both a best and fairest and AA nod in their ladder topping Grand Final year) player, he was an elite stopper and any team would have signed him up. His job on Black in the 04 Grand Final was immense and a good reason Port won.

that's why you and your tinhatted cohort will never have anything to do with decision making, organizing or overseeing anything.........pretty much.......
Well done. Very witty.
Enjoy your life glued to your phone every moment with such intelligent and inciteful comments.
I wish I was as smart and sensible as you.
If only you actually knew - but I guess ignorance really is bliss.

When Jones is fit I’d take him over Plowman all day.Levi stays as his marking and body positioning is important.Jones has speed to burn so I don’t actually see what Plowman adds to the team.Ive said this before and stand by it he is not best 22 moving forward.

Not sure how you missed him going into the middle when we were chasing them down a second time? Some of his passes into the corridor were pinpoint despite being under presseure and the dogs having all the run of play. Huge degree of difficulty and he made it look easy.

I am no fanboi but he was good last night.

When Jones is fit I’d take him over Plowman all day.Levi stays as his marking and body positioning is important.Jones has speed to burn so I don’t actually see what Plowman adds to the team.Ive said this before and stand by it he is not best 22 moving forward.

Maybe, but the MC have repeatedly praised Plowman so it doesn't appear he'll get dropped.

Big selection headache after the bye about how to fit Jones back into the team without making us too top heavy.
Out of Levi, Weitering, Marchbank & Plowman it's actually Marchy who could get dropped, even though he's been pretty solid.

Taunting fans after the game. :mad:

Scumbag is being way too nice for that campaigner!

D9J9IkRUEAAikFH.jpg

I was seated near this section. The peanut Carlton supporters were giving him heaps. I’m surprised the stadium gestapo weren’t into the thick of our area as there were a good few lippy douches who give all Carlton supporters a bad name with their attitude. Fair call for him to give it back, I say. Good in him.

It's wasn't the wrong call to drop Silvagni, his form was mediocre and he was dropping marks, does not hurt to go back, get touch and get yourself in. It's good player development.

For the next game I would be making these changes.

IN
Silvagni Cottrell Owies

OUT
McGovern Gibbons Dow

Silvagni was great and deserves good opportunity up forward in the AFL. McGovern has been average at best all year and his game was shocking, needs a big big wake up call. Silvagni offers a lot more than McGovern at ground level and McGovern is not marking it. Easy selection for mine.

Dow would be developing in the VFL if we had a better list. He's been really poor lately and he needs to be dropped and play a bit of VFL. It's good player development. His efforts aren't there. Needs a wake up call. He was playing an outside role last week. I'd bring in Cottrell for that role. At least Cottrell is an elite runner and good kick. No brainer selection for mine.

Owies has had a good run of form building up to a 5 goal haul. Considering where he has come from there is a fair chance he has something. Gibbons hasn't been terrible but he hasn't been good. His kicking is the biggest concern and this weekend he had a game where he didn't do much and he butchered his kick. A bit tough on Gibbons but I think we need to be tough and reward form form.

Getting into the minds of the MC i don't see any of these happening tbh.

McGovern/SOS
Watching the replay again McGovern wasn't great but i don't think he was as bad as people were saying...he was jumping at the ball and providing an option in the forward half. His mis-timed leaps were poor and uncharacteristic, but he was in good positions and could have had a good game if he held onto a few of those...pretty sure the MC will back him to train hard and regain his timing in the seniors, like with Charlie earlier in the year. Teague praised the way the big forwards worked together in the forward line in the presser so sounds like overall he was happy enough with McKay & McGovern's game. JSOS probably needs to back it up with another big VFL performance to force his way back in.

Dow/Cottrell
We're developing and fast-tracking Dow for the future. I disagree that his efforts aren't there, always appears to give effort and looks knackered...reckon he's one who's needed a rest but since he'll get that with the bye i doubt he'll be dropped for the Freo game. Cottrell is building but needs to do more to get a senior birth...his highest possession count in the VFL is 18 as an outside player. Needs to get his numbers up.

Gibbons/Owies
Has had a good few weeks and there was rumours about Teague giving him a game in his first game in charge though not sure if there was any truth in that.
Gibbons had a poor game but was very good against Brisbane just the week before...Soapy V mentioned he played hurt last night. I don't think we'll want to make too many unnecessary changes to bring in guys with even less experience so i'm pretty sure Gibbons will keep his spot as he's done all year so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to come back twice. Lots of positives. Many positives.

This is going to sound harsh but we lost the game because of Paddy Dow. When he was in the middle and at stoppages we lost the ball almost every time. When he wasn’t, we dominated. His 9 possessions, 2 missed shots at goal, 2 howlers where he missed wide open targets inside 50, and to cap it off, ended the game with a poor tackle.

Has some nice attributes but he needs to be dropped and play out the year in the Magoos. Learn how to play again

Kidding aren’t ya mate

I think a fair chunk of the point from last night may have been missed here.
VS the lions we won with Cripps having a career game, Walsh was unbelievable, weitering dominated and Ed racked em
Up and shut down their best.

This week you could argue that those 4 fellas were ineffectual to this match ( except the tagging Ed did on the Bont).
Yet still we played some of the most exhilarating at times football we have seen in quite sometime.

So rather than blame him or question them I rather look at it and think when it all gels together it will be sensational.
This week it was Charlie Samo Levi and a bit of setters.
Next match who knows.

Well done. Very witty.
Enjoy your life glued to your phone every moment with such intelligent and inciteful comments.
I wish I was as smart and sensible as you.
If only you actually knew - but I guess ignorance really is bliss.
witty? when?

it's like a race to see who can blame someone the most, quickest, most glaringly...........no-one elses missed goals cost us but lobs.........extraordinary......

You didn't see that as, one of the turning points of the game.

if not, what was the turning point of the game?

You defend the umpiring which is fair enough. (although they can and will cost a team a win).

Where do you stand, what were your thoughts or do you sit back and take pot shots at the less favourable posters on this forum..

Despite his headline grabbing deliberate controversy and general smugness... as a premiership playing, 4 time B and F winning and 2 X All Australian (both a best and fairest and AA nod in their ladder topping Grand Final year) player, he was an elite stopper and any team would have signed him up. His job on Black in the 04 Grand Final was immense and a good reason Port won.

I wasn't referring to his football ability

Dead set, no idea how people are having a go at Murphy tonight.

Ignoring for a moment that it's his first game back, he clearly wasn't given the role of a traditional midfielder in the first half. He spent a lot of time up forward.

In the second half when he went in to the middle he was enormous, particularly in the centre bounces.

Despite only having 4 touches at half time, he ended up with 21 and almost caught our top disposal getters. He arguably used it better than most of them too.

Pull your heads in.

[/overly emotional rant defending my favourite player]

Yet couldn't lay a tackle in the last quarter When it counted..

Back