Autopsy Bulldogs 103 - Carlton 100. A win, but a loss at the same time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not ideal to let them get that run on late, but to stop their first run and to blow it out to 5 goals again was a pretty fair effort. No doubt that the introduction of 6-6-6 and no runners makes it a lot tougher to hold onto those leads. After a centre bounce late and a secondary stoppage, you could see Hunter screaming his guts out and marshalling players behind the ball. Smith looked a touch lost as to where he was supposed to be situated at that time so there is still learning to be done.
Yeah I saw Hunter yelling out at the players - I can see why Bevo loves him.

Which part? That naughton doesn't have potential to be a superstar at chf?
That he needs competant support to assist him?
Or that gardner isn't going to cut it?

Naught is a backman. NAUGHTON says he is a backman. Naughton says he wants to play backline.

This is the same sh!t we did to Tom Boyd. He did not want to play ruck he wanted to play forward and how did that work out?

So no he doesn’t need help he needs to be played where he is the most benefit AND wants to play.

Naughts did next to nothing last night(not his fault) so his positives to the side last night were limited. I’d bet my ass if he played back Curnow doesn’t kick 7.

Gardner is sh!t, I’m generally stunned we have drafted him it’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen.

And don’t get me wrong I’m not having a crack at Naughts the guy is a genuine gun

But take the Richmond game out and his stats forward are ordinary. One game does not make a champion.

If we had competent backman then go for it but we don’t and every premiership team in history has had a solid backline, but some have had ordinary forward lines but great structure

So lost on what to do with Naughton. His ceiling is game winning but it's been so long I'm not sure if it's worth keeping him there. Is it because opposition have figured out how to shut him down or is it just because he's 19? I think I'd be happier with him in defence, give Schache a go and let Garnder have two more games to see if he has any chance.

He’ll be great for us at either end, but the gap between what we’d have without him up forward and what we have without him down back is immense.

Our back line is crap right now, but our forward line without a single aerial threat would be a complete disaster. It would be Melbourne 2013 levels of farcical.

Shoutout to Lipinski. A lot of people including myself had doubts over his ability to do what he was doing at VFL level, in the 1s, but he has come in and looked great. Getting a ton of the ball, looks composed and fit and really slotting in well to our midfield.

Shoutout to Lipinski. A lot of people including myself had doubts over his ability to do what he was doing at VFL level, in the 1s, but he has come in and looked great. Getting a ton of the ball, looks composed and fit and really slotting in well to our midfield.

His composure has always looked good to me and his disposal is very good.

Lack of pace worries me in an already slow team but if we can put some speed into the team he can be a very good long term let for us I think

Naught is a backman. NAUGHTON says he is a backman. Naughton says he wants to play backline.

This is the same sh!t we did to Tom Boyd. He did not want to play ruck he wanted to play forward and how did that work out?

So no he doesn’t need help he needs to be played where he is the most benefit AND wants to play.

Naughts did next to nothing last night(not his fault) so his positives to the side last night were limited. I’d bet my ass if he played back Curnow doesn’t kick 7.

Gardner is sh!t, I’m generally stunned we have drafted him it’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen.
In his podcast with bob he said he was enjoying the forwardline and his future lies there?

I think the negativity from some here of last night's win is unwarranted. It was very much a win and, no, it doesn't feel like a loss to me. How many times have we been the team to concede the first quarter, stage a come back and come within striking distance only to fall short? Pretty sure we were all lamenting our slow start rather than praising our ability to come back - they weren't losses that felt like wins, they were losses!

I had to get up in the very very early hours this morning and shouldn't have watched last nights game if I was to get a decent night's rest, but I tuned in as I do every week. I figured we had it in the bag when we were 5 goals up with just under 15 or so mins to go and went to bed. Naturally, I couldn't fall asleep right away so checked the scores on my phone and I was surprised to see the final scores as close as they were. Point being, I thought the game was done. If I was coach, I would have sent the message out to go into cruise control and not risk an injury late in the game (especially after already losing Libba). How many times have we had that luxury previously? I guess last night's game shows how vulnerable we are when in 'cruise control'. We'll learn from it, but better to learn from a narrow win than a narrow loss.

In his podcast with bob he said he was enjoying the forwardline and his future lies there?

His initial interviews and even the one directly after the Richmond game he said he is a backman and hoped to go back there.

Exactly what Tom Boyd said until the club told him to change the story.

We all love Naughts and in a team with even an average backline I’m more than happy to have him forward our backline is putrid and other than The Tigs game has Naughts been a match winner forward?

Tell me a premiership team I The last 50 years that didn’t have a solid backline mate? I can tell you plenty that didn’t have great forward lines including ours in 16.

His initial interviews and even the one directly after the Richmond game he said he is a backman and hoped to go back there.

We all love Naughts and in a team with even an average backline I’m more than happy to have him forward our backline is putrid and other than The Tigs game has Naughts been a match winner forward?

Tell me a premiership team I The last 50 years that didn’t have a solid backline mate? I can tell you plenty that didn’t have great forward lines including ours in 16.

Lol

I agree with your point that hes needed back and atm that is his best position. My opinion is that he can be a star forward and they dont grow on trees and that we can fill the void of the backline through FA/Trade/Draft. Look at geelongs backline and no 1st round picks are in it and no absolute superstar players. They mesh well as a team and play a role. I agree that having a backline is essential to winning a flag and we are doomed without one. The year is a development year so lets keep him forward and see what he can do and put Lewis Young at CHB (like he should be)

We do agree that Gardner will go down as one of the most headscratching decisions of all time...

Was a bit worried when he wasn’t getting a look in all those weeks but based on what Bevo said about selection generally (ie you have to show exactly what we need you to before you’ll be picked) I think he’s vindicated in his treatment of Lipinski.

He won’t play to that level every week but he can find the footy and uses it much better than most. Reminds me a bit of Hunter at the same stage - clearly had the tools but needed a kick up the backside and to develop a bit in the twos in order to be a good afl player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Earlier in the year, when stuck for an option, we kicked it long to English on the boundary. If he didn't mark it, it fell to his feet or over the line. Not sure why we abandoned that strategy.

I agree with your point that hes needed back and atm that is his best position. My opinion is that he can be a star forward and they dont grow on trees and that we can fill the void of the backline through FA/Trade/Draft. Look at geelongs backline and no 1st round picks are in it and no absolute superstar players. They mesh well as a team and play a role. I agree that having a backline is essential to winning a flag and we are doomed without one. The year is a development year so lets keep him forward and see what he can do and put Lewis Young at CHB (like he should be)

We do agree that Gardner will go down as one of the most headscratching decisions of all time...

The future is irrelevant right now

We have a massive off season and trade period coming up and need to not be a basket case for the rest of the year to give us some reason for FAS to want to come to us.

No one will argue Naughts can play either end but I’m talking right now we have no one else so he should be the Man. I’m also not saying Cordy is the answer forward but he has done the job before to an adequate level and right now even though that isn’t good enough it’s what we have.

If the club think Naughts is the man forward long term then address that at years in and bring in a KPB and someone to help Naughts but we cannot so that this week

Earlier in the year, when stuck for an option, we kicked it long to English on the boundary. If he didn't mark it, it fell to his feet or over the line. Not sure why we abandoned that strategy.

Coz we lost to Carlton and the suns doing that I would guess

Well that was a rough win.

If I ever see Gardner in the ruck again I'll be furious. That goal from Kruezer after contesting a throw in with him was a complete joke - how can Bev persist with this bloke in that role?

No sense whatsoever. We've promoted a poor VFL player when better options abound.

Well that was a rough win.

If I ever see Gardner in the ruck again I'll be furious. That goal from Kruezer after contesting a throw in with him was a complete joke - how can Bev persist with this bloke in that role?

No sense whatsoever. We've promoted a poor VFL player when better options abound.

Absolute slap in the face to Roberts, both Youngs and Schache

And can someone tell me who saw something in him that says AFL player?

We won with 14 on the ground last night coz Williams, Dale, Dickson and Gardner are f@cking useless

Maybe just maybe it’s coz Cordy played his best footy FORWARD!!!!

I’m not sure but I could swear I saw a bloke that looked like him playing in the forward line of a premiership team.

It’s funny because this situation - you can’t even cop the whole “You aren’t the coach MD, leave it to Bevo, because I’m sure he has his reasons”...because it actually DID work well in 2016!!

And don’t get me wrong I’m not having a crack at Naughts the guy is a genuine gun

But take the Richmond game out and his stats forward are ordinary. One game does not make a champion.

If we had competent backman then go for it but we don’t and every premiership team in history has had a solid backline, but some have had ordinary forward lines but great structure

I'm starting to question keeping Naughton at full forward. It's a problem we only have one of him. The rushing of Gardner into the side is one of the worst decisions for the season. He's nowhere near AFL ready.

Hopefully the new president does what is necessary and brings in assistants that challenge him. He has ideas that are genius but ones that are pure stupidity. And as such things go the line between genius and stupidity is paper thin.

Blokes like Monty who’ll back themselves even if Bevo doesn’t like it (I was a huge hater of Monty at the time but now...).

Absolute slap in the face to Roberts, both Youngs and Schache

And can someone tell me who saw something in him that says AFL player?

We won with 14 on the ground last night coz Williams, Dale, Dickson and Gardner are f@cking useless
I see something in him, but he should not be playing right now. I wouldn't have picked him to play until at least next year because he's clearly so far from AFL-readt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back