Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Suckl

Suckling v O'brien
Obrien out on the full
Suckling lifts his side
Suckling is a premiership player
If you want your side to go where suckling has been, O'brien needs to become Suckling.

How dare he not be as good as Suckling in his second year! Peaheart!

Fully aware of the "don't play the man" policy, but * it, I'll wear one for the team.

You're a dick.

Yet couldn't lay a tackle in the last quarter When it counted..

Name on person in history who has ever been popular 'shooting' Bambi. Clearly you care not for popularity on here - wot is the matter with you?

You didn't see that as, one of the turning points of the game.

if not, what was the turning point of the game?..
Not so much turning points but costly errors include - Crippa kicking across the backline for a turnover goal, Fishers missed set shot from 40m out, Weitering playing the ball out when he had team mates yelling for it, and not playing Ed in the midfield from the start.

The above errors were more disappointing than one miskick from a second year player who’s kicking was otherwise spot on.

Last edited:
Name on person in history who has ever been popular 'shooting' Bambi. Clearly you care not for popularity on here - wot is the matter with you?

i don't post for likes,

Bambi has never been paid big money to play football professionally,
Murphy is a player of a club whom i support , which I'm a paid up member.
i have a right to type what i believe are my thoughts on a player, a team and what direction they are taking.

If i was posting for likes id pull the piss out your vocabulary..

Yet couldn't lay a tackle in the last quarter When it counted..
That's also true for most of our boys last night, unfortunately.

Not to mention, Murphy is 5'10 and weighs 80kgs soaking wet and holding a brick. For his size, he's not that bad.

Doesn't mind going in to grab the footy and risk getting creamed by the bigger opposition players either (which has caused him numerous injuries over the years). And when he manages to escape with the ball, watch out.

That's also true for most of our boys last night, unfortunately.

Not to mention, Murphy is 5'10 and weighs 80kgs soaking wet and holding a brick. For his size, he's not that bad.

Doesn't mind going in to grab the footy and risk getting creamed by the bigger opposition players either (which has caused him numerous injuries over the years). And when he manages to escape with the ball, watch out.

Tears,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most people are already over the agenda driven anti Murphy garbage. Nearly every impartial poster has noted how important he was in the second half when moved on to the ball except for those who already had made up their minds.

Big frizz, Murph is exceptional when he has the ball in hand.
its when he hasn't got the ball in hand worries me.

he gets brushed aside to easily, he can't tackle....

Stick a tackle in the last quarter, when the games in the balance, perhaps..

Why do people just look for what he does wrong? He helped get us back into the game, was a massive part of it.

You’d be fapping over jsos having such an impact on a game, which he’s never done.

People have a preference for hard working battlers over guys with skill, who get treated more harshly.

We are nowhere near the stage where murph isn’t best 22, partly due to development and partly due to the fact we have too many talls on our list still, so lack of competition for his spot.

I'f McKay played a role it was as a decoy and IMO he's better than that. He's got to be used as a marking attacking option. The way I see it, if he's not leading up and being a marking option then we're better off selecting another small running player.

It's all well and good to play a role and to drag opponents away from your team mates but he needs to be involved, I think he's a better player than that.

I think you want McKay and Curnow working on seperate lines but both being attacking options, that's where I see us being strong.
Harry needs to be better with his body positioning, both when one on one particularly by holding his man out of the line of the fall of the ball then pushing off for his own advantage and also not getting pushed off and under too easily with the incoming ball around the packs, his doing extremely well for the small amount of games his played so far, I'd like to think when his game improves over the next 50 games his contested game should go through the roof to another level. Harry and Charlie are going to be just awesome to watch...

Last edited:
After rewatching the final 10 minutes we really needed some composure at the end. We had heaps more time for the final goal but didn't play like it, which was probably our undoing in the end. In particular Samo twice could have hit up short passes but bombed it long, likewise Murph who could have hit someone up in the centre for our last charge forward.

Those were also the moments though for Harry or particularly McGovern to take a big pack mark, after having both done little all night. Neither of them took it.

Really disappointing because it could have restored so much confidence heading into the bye. Instead it's another close enough but not good enough game to further eat away at their confidence.

We don't have much currency to add to this group now, so this is largely the group we'll be heading into next year with. We need to regroup over the bye and come home strong to give us something to take into the preseason and next year.

Getting into the minds of the MC i don't see any of these happening tbh.

McGovern/SOS
Watching the replay again McGovern wasn't great but i don't think he was as bad as people were saying...he was jumping at the ball and providing an option in the forward half. His mis-timed leaps were poor and uncharacteristic, but he was in good positions and could have had a good game if he held onto a few of those...pretty sure the MC will back him to train hard and regain his timing in the seniors, like with Charlie earlier in the year. Teague praised the way the big forwards worked together in the forward line in the presser so sounds like overall he was happy enough with McKay & McGovern's game. JSOS probably needs to back it up with another big VFL performance to force his way back in.

Dow/Cottrell
We're developing and fast-tracking Dow for the future. I disagree that his efforts aren't there, always appears to give effort and looks knackered...reckon he's one who's needed a rest but since he'll get that with the bye i doubt he'll be dropped for the Freo game. Cottrell is building but needs to do more to get a senior birth...his highest possession count in the VFL is 18 as an outside player. Needs to get his numbers up.

Gibbons/Owies
Has had a good few weeks and there was rumours about Teague giving him a game in his first game in charge though not sure if there was any truth in that.
Gibbons had a poor game but was very good against Brisbane just the week before...Soapy V mentioned he played hurt last night. I don't think we'll want to make too many unnecessary changes to bring in guys with even less experience so i'm pretty sure Gibbons will keep his spot as he's done all year so far.

All of those maybe discussed but can’t see any changes for freo unless there’s injuries or some weird team balance change, but it seemed fine last night.

Wonder what we will do if Jones is right?

I think a fair chunk of the point from last night may have been missed here.
VS the lions we won with Cripps having a career game, Walsh was unbelievable, weitering dominated and Ed racked em
Up and shut down their best.

This week you could argue that those 4 fellas were ineffectual to this match ( except the tagging Ed did on the Bont).
Yet still we played some of the most exhilarating at times football we have seen in quite sometime.

So rather than blame him or question them I rather look at it and think when it all gels together it will be sensational.
This week it was Charlie Samo Levi and a bit of setters.
Next match who knows.

That is my big takeaway from it, wasn’t on the back of Cripps getting 30+ to drag us back in it.

Also seen Murphy win a crucial contested ball late in the game amongst 2 bulldogs, hit Kreuzer with a handball, ran on got ahead of the ball to receive it back and then find Harry McKay with a beautiful pass on the lead to set him up for a set shot goal.

Did you happen to see that bit of play at all ??

When fit he will be important to our forward 50 connection

First game back from serious injury, very interrupted past couple of seasons....
Surely not? He can not do bad things!

Big frizz, Murph is exceptional when he has the ball in hand.
its when he hasn't got the ball in hand worries me.

he gets brushed aside to easily, he can't tackle....
Exceptional? Yes in his early years. The past few years his kicks fall at his team mates' feet, not all the time, but often enough to put undue pressure on his team mates, or, to cause turn overs. The club has never dropped him, to make him show his improvement in the reserves. His good mate Gibbs is struggling at a good club and in the reserves. Murph is not the future. Coming back from a rib injury missing 3 or 4 weeks, he should have played with Northern and then hit the game full on, so not wasting a half of football before finding some form.

I think most people are already over the agenda driven anti Murphy garbage. Nearly every impartial poster has noted how important he was in the second half when moved on to the ball except for those who already had made up their minds.

It’s like some here are angered he had a big 2nd half as it stuffed up their narrative about him.

So weird, I thought LOB may of been a likely bust but I’m more than happy that he’s gone well over the past 2 weeks.

Why do people see being proven right as more important than the team doing well?

As any opposition fans who they’d rather playing for their side next week if given the choice between murph and jsos, 99.9% would say murph.

I compare the 2 because most of the murph bashers are big on JSOS and his pressure and defensive acts.

Back