Autopsy vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield depth took a hit today. Not that I ever thought we would stick it to the host of GWS mids, but no Higgins and Cunnington beaten really does show us up on the inside. Whereas even without Ward you can rattle off half a dozen GWS mids who are fantastic.

We've got the pieces but there's still a lot of development work to do in the midfield.

The kids struggled, our spread wasn't great, a few kids were tired (TT was pretty good all day) and we got spanked a bit in the clearances. Forward structure wasn't as great today, neither were the umpires.

In saying all that, the fact that those things went against it and we were close for most of the day against the second best midfield in the comp (Collingwood has got them for pure depth). Keen to see maybe Crocker/Murphy come in for one of our general defenders, as they are leaking a bit too much atm.

Don't see GWS winning the premiership, too many genuine sooks on their list.

Absolutely belted in the midfield all game, yet still up in the 3rd.

Won inside 50s, 52-47.

We simply have a better coach, now.

Our inside 50 number is a bit misleading.

We were bombing it in to about 35 out more than we usually do. That elevates our inside 50 number.

And it didn’t work overly well. Their backline (aka “the punchable heads”) had a field day. Unless Kanye roved it - twice - it got rebounded with interest.

Was Ben brown reported?

Fanfooty says he clotheslined Buntine in the 3rd. I thought I saw him do it in the 2nd (Davis had tackled him high after the ump called a ball-up, suspect Brown saw red which is unusual for him and executed a sloppy tackle on him). But may have been another incident because I didn't see a replay of the one in the 2nd and assumed it was just a free kick from that.

We had them covered. I'm confident of that. We have found our playing style and it's not cute little handballs and silky skills (as much as they help). We had the most talented team in the comp covered, and it's because our boys love a scrap.

That should be the non negotiable for any bloke coming into the side.

My Foxtel remote is tough. It was launched on 2 occasions when he got the free after everyone at the ground assumed it was Goldy's.

Disappointed with the crowd for not influencing the umpires. Isn’t that why West Coast plays in Perth?

I think we needed more midfield run, we lost Higgins and replaced him with Garner, I thought Garner was okay but we lost a pure midfielder and we gave LDU 69% ToG and Thomas 70% ToG so what was the master plan for replacing Higgins? Simpkin played 72% ToG and seemed to play forward a lot, it was a ghost of Brad Scott type of team selection and coaching. As good as our first two weeks were under Shaw, this week raising some worrying red flags.

Ahern should have been in the side, yeah, I sound like a broken record but there are no excuses with Higgins injury, he has played well in the VFL and we compromised the structure of the side, with Ben being well held, literally was being held all game by De Boer, we just couldn't get enough ball in the middle.

I just don't think we can rely on Zeibell as a midfielder, it may work some weeks, but we have to be prepared that it doesn't work, he was too slow, couldn't win the clearances while Ben was being tagged and when he did win the ball, a lot of it was just not AFL standard, a lot of banging it to boot straight to the opposition, GWS are too good a side to be giving them the ball back repeatedly.

We have to address the fitness of our guys, ben was on the ground for 74% ToG and Anderson 72% yet neither of them took hits which forced them off the ground, combined with these two seasoned players and LDU on 69% ToG they accounted for about half of our clearances yet each of them effectively spent more than a quarter sitting on the pine. We can't expect to win a game when we effectively bench our three most important mids for more than a quarter of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fyfe had received the same treatment as Cunners today he would have been paid 5-6 free kicks.

The umpire could have stamped out the scragging but chose to only make it worse by ignoring the constant grabbing and holding from behind.

I can’t recall them getting pinged once for grabbing off the ball.
These are exactly the same tactics that Ben Jacobs uses as a tagger. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Not sure why everyone is whinging about it.

Was Ben brown reported?
Yep for doing the EXACT same action that little bald headed * from Geelong did 3 weeks in a row and that manbun dick from Freo did a couple of weeks ago.

He will get off with a warning, otherwise there will be a riot..

We had them covered. I'm confident of that. We have found our playing style and it's not cute little handballs and silky skills (as much as they help). We had the most talented team in the comp covered, and it's because our boys love a scrap.

That should be the non negotiable for any bloke coming into the side.

Thats all well and good but that only takes us so far, I love a team with a good scrap but you need class and break the game open on your terms with efficient kicks and skills.

The Giants have that, they used to be just a soft but talented team. But now they have an edge, a bit of mongrel and shove and that'll hold them in good stead until the wear out begins and that's when the skills matter and they have that to back them up. That combo is premiership contention tier, that's why Carey is so bullish about them being flag faves and so am I, they're in their sweet spot now.

North has mongrel and edge, but not enough skill.

Durdin needs an extended crack at it.

I am Froggy's biggest fan on here, but I almost feel a spell in the two's is needed. His disposal this year is not as good as previous years.

The 3 classy goals GWS got in a row in the 3rd from beautiful handballs to set guys free was the difference in the end. We rarely score those type of goals. We are more crash and bash.

Turner to Le Frog was nice.

These are exactly the same tactics that Ben Jacobs uses as a tagger. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Not sure why everyone is whinging about it.

I always thought of Jacobs as one of the least scraggy taggers in the league or ever.

Well that was a big x from Shaw, puzzling why he didn't bring in another midfielder. Everyone knew DeBoer would take out one of our mids and with higgins out we essentially were 2 mids down after selection. Apart from that, loved the endeavour and toughness from the players in the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back