Players that became well known/famous from one play or game

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many outside port and cats fans will remember this but Dom Cassisi kicked a goal with about 10 seconds on the clock in round 21 2007 that in theory prevented Geelong winning 28 straight matches between round 5 2007 and round 8 2008.

Henry Playfair was too stupid to get rid of the ball from out 50 and stands out to me for the same reason

Ben Stratton. s**t player in a great team. Will be remembered for one loose game where he stomped on someone's head, made an obscene gesture at the crowd and got shamed on social media for disgusting unsportsman-like pinching.

Lochlan “The Veale Deal” Veale. 0 games of AFL.

The Dogs traded pick 6 to Hawthorn for him and he was delisted after 1 season with the Dogs.

Footscray only gave up pick 6 for him so Hawthorn would make Jade Rawlings walk, allowing the dogs to take him in the PSD instead of trading him to his preferred destination of North.

Scott Clayton, genius work that.
Wouldn’t be allowed today.

Will be remembered for one loose game where he stomped on someone's head, made an obscene gesture at the crowd and got shamed on social media for disgusting unsportsman-like pinching.
Three-time premiership player and club captain. Won't go down just for this, in the same way that Monkhorst won't solely be remembered for the Long sledge.

Ben Stratton. **** player in a great team. Will be remembered for one loose game where he stomped on someone's head, made an obscene gesture at the crowd and got shamed on social media for disgusting unsportsman-like pinching.
triple premiership hero, who is more likely to be remembered for his game-saving tackle on Dangerfield in the 2012 preliminary. he stomped on someones foot not head.

Big John Ronaldson - played 59 games and was a dual premiership player, but is remembered for his two unlikely last-quarter goals in the 1967 GF from opposite pockets after being plucked from the Reserves following the controversial suspension of Neville Crowe. Is the father of NBL games record-holder Tony Ronaldson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big John Ronaldson - played 59 games and was a dual premiership player, but is remembered for his two unlikely last-quarter goals in the 1967 GF from opposite pockets after being plucked from the Reserves following the controversial suspension of Neville Crowe. Is the father of NBL games record-holder Tony Ronaldson.

I don't know if it's the quality of the old tv cameras or just the different technique, but honestly it looks like they were kicking old flour sacks.

Also: gee the 50m line makes it easier for TV.

You obviously won out with the Kreuzer cup stuff too, was their a game at the end of the season that decided that? I swear there was
We were a bit of a bystander that year. We had last pretty much sewn up but Melbourne and Carlton could take pick 1 by losing enough games, which lead to the Kreuzer Cup between the two of them. Carlton lost the game (but won the cup?) and ended up with pick 1 and obviously took Kreuzer. We got Cotchin at pick 2 and Dangerfield, Rioli, Taylor, Rance were other notable players in the draft. Backfired a bit on Carlton and worked out nice for us, but not as bad as Melbourne getting two guys that aren’t even there anymore with Martin and Fyfe both sitting there.

Surely it's Robert Klomp.

(Became rather infamous for winning a colour TV for BOG on the back of six kicks and six handballs on a half-back flank).

Will Young topped that by getting a tv after a 2 possession game!

Young’s second AFL game is part of Adelaide Football Club folklore.

Young played as a defensive forward, entrusted with the duty of shutting down Magpies star Harry O’Brien. The young Crow only had two possessions, including a goal, and was unable to play out the match after injuring his shoulder.

But he limited O’Brien to a career-worst five touches and was awarded a 50” Plasma TV by commentator and former Essendon great Matthew Lloyd for his efforts.

“I thought the guys were having me on. I was in a lot of pain after the game and pretty shattered because I knew I’d hurt my shoulder badly. Blokes were coming up to me saying, “You won the TV”. And I replied, “Get stuffed, I had two touches” … but obviously two bloody good touches,” he said with a laugh.

“I do cop a bit of grief about that, but I don’t really care. Not many people have won that prestigious award and won a TV having two possessions, have they?!”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back