AFL Rd 12 - Other Games Discussion

The Cripps vs Oliver debate isn't oven open anymore. Oliver's on an exercise bike at the moment while Cripps is winning the Tour deFrance
Oliver doesn't have Cripps' size. Will never hold a candle to Cripps or Bont really.

Two years is a long, long time when you're talking about a 21 and a 23 year old. Cripps is best in the league and Oliver has come out slow this year after the double reco. Both were top 10 last year.

Er Greg Williams was a slow fat **** who went on to become a great . Once Oliver realises he is not under as much pressure as he thinks he is he will return to the Oliver we saw in his first 2 years.
Yep. And Oliver is neither fat or slow. He's shed so much weight and clearly has self-driven elite standards. He's been average this year, but that happens after two shoulder recos in a row. Cripps had a slow 2017 due to injuries as well.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know it's round 13 but I didn't see a thread for it. Watching North Melbourne recover their season and even Carlton managing to get to 100 second time this season I'm only confident that we are only better than gold coast this season. We really need some confidence after the bye because we look way off.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know it's round 13 but I didn't see a thread for it. Watching North Melbourne recover their season and even Carlton managing to get to 100 second time this season I'm only confident that we are only better than gold coast this season. We really need some confidence after the bye because we look way off.

Should shore up the defense with May and Lever back but I don't see other forward line de-shambling itself any time soon.

The game last night was trash. Bulldogs are the only side in the comp with worse coaching than us.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

I actually think we're the worst side in the comp, GC have honestly had a real crack this year with a FAR weaker list than us.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He's not sackable but there hasnt been enough asked of Bevos coaching.

A 6th and a 7th placed finish and then looking like 3 years out of the finals. The premiership is amazing and hard to ignore but they haven't really been able to progress at all since the flag

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's not sackable but there hasnt been enough asked of Bevos coaching.

A 6th and a 7th placed finish and then looking like 3 years out of the finals. The premiership is amazing and hard to ignore but they haven't really been able to progress at all since the flag

They've got an exceptionally young team still, I reckon they're tracking OK. 2020 is when the pressure should be on.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watched until quarter time of the North vs gws game. Rubbish umpiring, listening to derrrwayyne commentating, and the unwatchable nature of the match in general.

Turned over and watched the second half of vfl port Melbourne vs Williamstown. Was a hell of a lot better to watch. The umpiring was unnoticeable, the skills were actually really good. The game was fairly open, and to end stuff. First game I've watched all year that has actually looked like football.

Watched until quarter time of the North vs gws game. Rubbish umpiring, listening to derrrwayyne commentating, and the unwatchable nature of the match in general.

Turned over and watched the second half of vfl port Melbourne vs Williamstown. Was a hell of a lot better to watch. The umpiring was unnoticeable, the skills were actually really good. The game was fairly open, and to end stuff. First game I've watched all year that has actually looked like football.
Exact same rules. Skills are better because fitness standard is lower meaning coaches can't implement high pressure defensive strategies, which leads to fewer stoppages and fewer opportunities for umpiring deliberations.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Exact same rules. Skills are better because fitness standard is lower meaning coaches can't implement high pressure defensive strategies, which leads to fewer stoppages and fewer opportunities for umpiring deliberations.

I can't understand people who think that the skills will drop away if you make players tired. Its crap. Space = more skills. Perceived pressure is the killer not how tired someone is.

* rotations right off I'd say

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Problem is clubs will just push even harder for the guy that can run over the guy who can kick.

There's a tipping point though. Tom Bugg could run all day but he ain't getting the opportunity Petracca has. Richmond and WC have been full of footballers not athletes aswell and Geelong are the same.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe so, but whilst the rules are the same, there was no overumpiring, no calling of pathetic ruck infringments or minor 1 on 1 infringemnts that are in the seniors.

Agree with topkent, rotations should be capped a lot lower. If that happens, how we've drafted for 5 years will push us from 16th to 18th though.
#contestedpossessions

Back