Who are your team's most important 5 players currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good question, GWS has a good spread of players (within the mids & forwards) who can perform and they share around who does from week to week who has a good game. I would probably go:

1. Whitfield
2. Coniglio
3. Kelly
4. Davis
5. Cameron

then Greene, Haynes, Taranto & Hopper.

Talia
Sloane
Brouch
Brown
Keath

If we lose Talia and we play a 2 tall player forward line then that leaves Hartigan to roll onto one.

Goodnight Irene after that

Good question, GWS has a good spread of players (within the mids & forwards) who can perform and they share around who does from week to week who has a good game. I would probably go:

1. Whitfield
2. Coniglio
3. Kelly
4. Davis
5. Cameron

then Greene, Haynes, Taranto & Hopper.

I know he's injured but wouldnt Ward be top 3? Leads by example. Big out atm. I suppose u can cover him so maybe not important.

Talia
Sloane
Brouch
Brown
Keath

If we lose Talia and we play a 2 tall player forward line then that leaves Hartigan to roll onto one.

Goodnight Irene after that

Been noticing talia make a lot of mistakes this year. Wouldnt surprise if keath and doedee pass him next year.

I didn't think he was as irreplaceable as he may have been a year ago. I'd have him as 2 or 3 after Sloane and possibly Jacobs in years past.

Form is a little down, probably with his interrupted preseason too.

Been noticing talia make a lot of mistakes this year. Wouldnt surprise if keath and doedee pass him next year.

Must admit I haven’t seen them. I think he is having a great year.

Doedee back next year and the 3 talls will be Talia , Keath and Doedee. Apparently Jordan Butts is impressive in the reserves also

I didn't think he was as irreplaceable as he may have been a year ago. I'd have him as 2 or 3 after Sloane and possibly Jacobs in years past.

Form is a little down, probably with his interrupted preseason too.

I must be missing it or already too many beers in by the game starts. I think Talia is playing as good as ever, I can’t really think of a player getting a hold of him this year. Maybe Brown from North Melbourne but that was ridiculous flopping

I think Talia is playing as good as ever,
Seems maligned for everything I read about him.

I'd argue going fwd he's your third best key defender. Not to dissimilar to Jonas atm for me, both easily the best defenders in their prime but kids coming through that look to be on the verge of passing them.

I know he's injured but wouldn't Ward be top 3? Leads by example. Big out atm. I suppose u can cover him so maybe not important.
Well, the OP says "currently", so given he's out for the year I omitted him - nevertheless he probably fits around the 5 to 8 mark on my list. At one point he would have been number 1 on the list, but as the younger players mature IMHO they've overtaken him. He provides a solid base each game, but GWS fires when Whitfield/Cogs/Kelly light the afterburners.

Seems maligned for everything I read about him.

I'd argue going fwd he's your third best key defender. Not to dissimilar to Jonas atm for me, both easily the best defenders in their prime but kids coming through that look to be on the verge of passing them.

Jonas back from injury only a couple of weeks ago. He’ll be back to full fitness soon.

I just wouldn’t feel comfortable with Talia out and having Keath and Hartigan as the 2 talls in the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wouldn’t feel comfortable with Talia out and having Keath and Hartigan as the 2 talls in the backline
More that going fwd Doedee probably is about to pass him. But yeah given his injury you are probably right, losing 2 is difficult, can recall Carlisle and Trengove out together and it got ugly very quickly.

Jacobs really could have been all of 1-5 in years past so that's a good thing. Really should put off a Grundy trade (atleast this year) off.

Well, the OP says "currently", so given he's out for the year I omitted him - nevertheless he probably fits around the 5 to 8 mark on my list. At one point he would have been number 1 on the list, but as the younger players mature IMHO they've overtaken him. He provides a solid base each game, but GWS fires when Whitfield/Cogs/Kelly light the afterburners.

Yup my lack of schooling obviously affecting my phrasing of questions. Should have worded it, In your current squad who are your 5 most important players. Too late now.

And yes ur right. in years gone by his leadership alone would have made him no1. So many others stepping up which is great.

More that going fwd Doedee probably is about to pass him. But yeah given his injury you are probably right, losing 2 is difficult, can recall Carlisle and Trengove out together and it got ugly very quickly.

Jacobs really could have been all of 1-5 in years past so that's a good thing. Really should put off a Grundy trade (atleast this year) off.

I actually would have been happy for Adelaide to grab Hombsch for peanuts as a back up. Thought he still had some miles left.

I don’t think Adelaide will go for Grundy at all, O’Brien has stepped up now. Will still probably have a few games were he gets beaten a bit but to spend 1 million dollars on a player is not the crows style. We need a speedy midfielder and a Tom Lynch replacement

A Rankine and Lukosius should just about do it:p

1. Whitfield
2. Coniglio
3. Kelly
4. Davis
5. Cameron

Haynes could easily be in that group as his intercepting ability is immense. Zac Williams is our speed and drive in defence and Mumford although clearly past his best is our aggression and 10 lengths better than any other ruckman we have, if he goes down we cannot win the flag.

Riewoldt
Rance
Nankervis

They are the 3 definite locks with the next 2 being subjective I would probably say

Grimes: Can usually fill the gaps playing either tall or small, sound defensively and can intercept too. Just plugs the missing hole. He allows the defensive structure to hold together.

Martin: He is the real gamebreaker and matchwinner in the side capable of winning it with a quarter of brilliance.

As far as team structure and who we would find hard to replace with quality if out-

1- Harris Andrews.
2- Lachie Neale.
3- Dayne Zorko.
4- Jarrod Berry.
5- Charlie Cameron.

The ideal scenario would be for our KPFs Daniel McStay and Eric Hipwood to step up into this group.

1. Elliot Yeo
2. Luke Shuey
3. Josh Kennedy
4. Shannon Hurn
5. Nic Naitanui

Feel Nic Nat could be no 1 if he gets back to his best. New rule changes will make him more effective then ever id say

1. Elliot Yeo
2. Luke Shuey
3. Josh Kennedy
4. Shannon Hurn
5. Nic Naitanui

Feel Nic Nat could be no 1 if he gets back to his best. New rule changes will make him more effective then ever id say

But u won a flag without nicnat tho. Wouldnt have won it without yeo or shuey. Even mcgov.

Thats surprisin. Wouldnt have thought tomahawk is 1. But yea hes been great for so long. Wouldve loved to see him play in the 90s. 1000 goal kicker for sure.

Funnily enough id probably have rohan ahead of ablett.
Hawkins No.1 by a country mile

Remove this Banner Ad

Back