May 25, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Blackhawks, SF Giants, 49ers, Jazz
I’ve been upgraded too.
This is my 11th season as a member.

Didn’t give a figure as to how much the upgrade costs, anyone know?

I’m guessing it’ll be an extra $150-$200..?

I noticed upgrading to a reserve seat has changed slightly using ticketmaster. You used to be able to pick between AFL reserve/General public and the only difference would be the price. Now it appears the only thing you get is 9.50 AFL tickets and where ever it plonks you.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just got my gold membership today, membership number was/is 16551xx...not that that seems to have anything to do with it as the numbers seem all over the place from whats being written on this thread. I cant remember but i think i joined around 2008-2009? I hardly ever use it as ive got top club membership but after the anarchy of the first 2010 GF trying to get tickets even when i was a member with supposed allocation ive been too paranoid to give it up and to just wait it out for gold so i can sleep peacefully

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
A bit off track here but does anyone feel funny about giving money to the AFL the way they are treating fans and governing the game at the moment? Must admit I'm not happy about doing so but I do feel the AFL membership is a good product and value for money so I don't see myself giving it up which admittedly is hypocritical.

A bit off track here but does anyone feel funny about giving money to the AFL the way they are treating fans and governing the game at the moment? Must admit I'm not happy about doing so but I do feel the AFL membership is a good product and value for money so I don't see myself giving it up which admittedly is hypocritical.
Yeah I was thinking about this the other night

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

Definitely and its part of the reason I quit my AFL membership about 10 years ago and opted for a premium MFC membership in its place

The problem is clubs just can't compete with AFL membership especially when it comes to finals tickets. If your team makes a GF playing 3 or 4 finals you're paying between $600-$700 on top of your membership for finals tickets as a club member. As an AFL member you'll be paying $250-$300 for the finals tickets.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely and its part of the reason I quit my AFL membership about 10 years ago and opted for a premium MFC membership in its place

The problem is clubs just can't compete with AFL membership especially when it comes to finals tickets. If your team makes a GF playing 3 or 4 finals you're paying between $600-$700 on top of your membership for finals tickets as a club member. As an AFL member you'll be paying $250-$300 for the finals tickets.
For finals, all revenue goes to the AFL. The AFL makes less money off me if I got to finals as an AFL member than a club member. I buy a reserved seat in Geelong so the Cats get the same money from me either way (pretty much, might be $50 difference). I see it as a win/win

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
If it's a Collingwood v Richmond or Essendon grand final this year will all Gold members with the competing club allocations be catered for?

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If it's a Collingwood v Richmond or Essendon grand final this year will all Gold members with the competing club allocations be catered for?
Yep, based on the last lot of figures I saw Pies about 7k gold, Tigers 3k, Bombers 4k.
There were about 14k seats made available to Gold members from the doco I saw for 2017 GF.
Would be hard for non competing gold though.

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
Yep, based on the last lot of figures I saw Pies about 7k gold, Tigers 3k, Bombers 4k.
There were about 14k seats made available to Gold members from the doco I saw for 2017 GF.
Would be hard for non competing gold though.
That's reassuring as I took out a Collingwood allocation this year to insure myself against missing out like last year (although the Pies are now far from certainties!)

I'm guessing the 14K allocation went something like this:

7,500 - Collingwood AFL Gold members
500 - West Coast AFL gold members
6,000 - remaining AFL gold members.

And if that's the case it's quite unbelievable that the remaining 6,000 people snapped up tickets in 15 minutes when it sold out at 2:15pm.

I sincerely hope more AFL Gold members are catered for this year assuming Collingwood don't make the GF.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
This has probably been answered but does anyone know if you continue to progress up the waitlist if you take out an absentee membership for a year? From memory the website FAQ indicated yes but has anyone done this?
I took out an absentee in 2016 under the impression I would still progress up the waitlist. However I am pretty sure that i did not progress and instead kept my position on the list for a year. It's cost me because people that joined afl members in the same year as me are thousands of spots ahead of me going by this thread.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I took out an absentee in 2016 under the impression I would still progress up the waitlist. However I am pretty sure that i did not progress and instead kept my position on the list for a year. It's cost me because people that joined afl members in the same year as me are thousands of spots ahead of me going by this thread.
You progress just the same as an absentee.

Thanks guys, two responses, two diametrically opposed pieces of info :D
Guess I'll have to email them and get any response one writing in case they try to stuff me down the track.

This has probably been answered but does anyone know if you continue to progress up the waitlist if you take out an absentee membership for a year? From memory the website FAQ indicated yes but has anyone done this?
I took an absentee but get the feeling I didn’t progress as much as I should’ve i that period. Didn’t note my membership number before I took it out though so I don’t know for certain either way.

My position definitely didn’t get worse though from memory.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks guys, two responses, two diametrically opposed pieces of info :D
Guess I'll have to email them and get any response one writing in case they try to stuff me down the track.
Keep us up to date on their answer.
From memory I think someone on here previously contacted them and the reply was yes you continue to move up the waitlist.
The FAQ says you keep the same member number so I assume that means you move up the list like everyone else.
It makes sense, they charge $165 a year for the privilege.

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Won't be long now where lots of AFL members will be missing out for finals tickets. The corporate creep will totally devour the capacity soon

If that happens, many people will dump the membership, myself included. I don't get to many games during the year but I keep my AFL Gold membership for the finals access. Having said that, there'd no doubt be people lining up to fill the dumped positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back