Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The computer, scoreboard and time clock say no. Normally umpires put the whistle away in such situations, ask 1AW.
It's exactly the same. Fans just see what they want. Like a player missing a set shot after the bell. Did he lose the game?

It's exactly the same. Fans just see what they want. Like a player missing a set shot after the bell. Did he lose the game?
22 players try their best. They win or lose as a collective. Without being too harsh on umpires, a bad call is bad call. If a game can only be separated by the final kick, gifted by an errant decision, it's a bitter pill to swallow. If the bad call is 17 seconds in, there's a whole game for teams to deal with it. Bad call with the final kick, too bad so sad. Just saying, if it's doubtful, don't pay it. Just gives an insight into an umpire's ability to think logically under extreme pressure.

Under Bolton LOB was playing a "decoy" role dragging the opposition player to the dead side of the ground. Walsh or Murphy were to be where the ball was. Released a couple of times late in the game like against Hawks. No complaints and did exactly what he was told to do.

When Teague was appointed he met with LOB and told him he wanted him to go back to his natural role in covering lots of ground, take the game on and kick long too targets. Picked him from the reserves when his form was just okay.

So far, so good
That's one convoluted game plan. Why ask a top ten draft pick with elite skills and running capacity to be used as a decoy? We could have used Kerridge for this role. Again really pleased that Teague has let the players just play and focus on their strengths.

That's one convoluted game plan. Why ask a top ten draft pick with elite skills and running capacity to be used as a decoy? We could have used Kerridge for this role. Again really pleased that Teague has let the players just play and focus on their strengths.
Kerridge?
Pay me just $100k and I'll do it too.

Was lucky enough to be there and witness one of the best games of the year.
In summary, we saw the Good (Charlie & 2 come backs), the Bad (Crap first half, Lack of Mid pressure & Umpires and the Ugly (Security fun police & losing another tight one).

Many asking for Gov to be dropped.
Can't see it happening. Teague is a big fan and believes he does alot of sacrificial work for the team. I think one of Dow or Gibbons to be dropped, for Jack + 1 other showing good form in the VFL. Freemantle will be tough over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this morning, my GWS supporting team mate goes wow that was a fantastic game (referring to the WB vs Carlton match).
First thing he said to me this morning, even before 'good morning'.
how rude!

Kerridge?
Pay me just $100k and I'll do it too.
will do it for a pair of medallion club tickets and a family block of fruit n nut............

What I've liked about the past couple of weeks:

1. Casboult playing with real energy. The sort of energy and desperation you're more likely to see from a tough inside mid.
2. O'Brien belongs. What a difference from a player that looked to be lost in the reserves to one that now demands the ball.
3. Marchbank starting to back himself in marking contests again.
4. CCurnow again starting to look as though he knows how good he is.
5. If Walsh was used every time he made good (and the right) position, he would have again had 30 possessions for this game.

Even for his good games, I still see Gibbons as a selfish player even though some here, have noted the contrary.
Guess what I saw through the pre-season is going to be hard to erase.

From what i've seen Gibbons is the one who even attempts to block Cripps' man at stoppages. Seen him do it numerous times.

22 players try their best. They win or lose as a collective. Without being too harsh on umpires, a bad call is bad call. If a game can only be separated by the final kick, gifted by an errant decision, it's a bitter pill to swallow. If the bad call is 17 seconds in, there's a whole game for teams to deal with it. Bad call with the final kick, too bad so sad. Just saying, if it's doubtful, don't pay it. Just gives an insight into an umpire's ability to think logically under extreme pressure.
what you are saying is certain decisions umpires make are more important than others - dependent on the time and score? a different weighting?

I suspect he was being overcoached. Surely not coincidence that he's played his best two games in the past two weeks when he seemingly had some more flexibility just to do what he is good at.

This is not a criticism of Bolton ... as I'm sure many of the traits he was trying to embed in O'Brien will pay off in the long term.

LOB and Charlie Curnow have had easily their best 2 games this year since Teague took over...not a coincidence.

As Soapy mentioned LOB has been freed up to run and hunt the ball rather than a sacrificial 'decoy' role.

While Charlie had some injury and his own form issues at the start of the year, he seemed to be played much further up the ground, often getting the ball around wing/half forward. Seems like Teague has changed that and has got him playing closer to goal where he's such a big threat, and bang he's kicked 10 goals in 2 games, when he was 8 from 8 previously.

TBH i am critical of Bolton for things like this...not getting the most out of these 2 potential stars and contributing to their loss of confidence. Get the feeling LOB is starting to realise he belongs at AFL level and Charlie just had a breakout game with 7 goals and looked like a future superstar again with his confidence back.

Back