Prediction Round 14: Changes vs Melbourne + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's actually going to be interesting to see whether they bring Cerra back. Genuinely don't know how it will go because of the easier ride Andy and Cez seem to get at selection (that I don't disagree with to some point). Will be fascinating on Thursday.

I think the selection panel were thinking that this was the last development year and then "game on" for next year. Our selection criteria is changing and it looks like they want the best 22 on the park given that finals are in our grasp. They won't just throw players out for continuity of the team, but there are no free "development" rides any more and it will be play your way in/play your way out.

I suspect that Cerra for now will be too good for WAFL but marginal at AFL, just needs another preseason.

Big fan of Tucker but I thought he was average live, and in replay I thought he was even worse. Had an uncharacteristically horrendous disposal game where he killed us with 5 or 6 terrible kicks or handpasses
This. He made quite a few errors and cost me my 6 goal win prediction.

Out Bewley, In Bennell if given the all clear. If not Cerra.

Other than his goal I don't remember any good kicking from Bewley. Went at 54% DE from 13 touches (4 contested).
The coaching or conditioning staff seem to be limiting him a bit as well, only 62%, 63%, and 66% game time from his 3 games.

Out: SHill
In: Cerra

As much as we all love Hilly, 0 kicks in the first half and a handful in the second suggests he needs to find form before being gifted his spot back.

Out Bewley, In Bennell if given the all clear. If not Cerra.

Other than his goal I don't remember any good kicking from Bewley. Went at 54% DE from 13 touches (4 contested).
The coaching or conditioning staff seem to be limiting him a bit as well, only 62%, 63%, and 66% game time from his 3 games.

I’d agree with this as the only change.

I’d consider Duman out for Nyhuis if the match committee thinks he’ll match up better on Mel smalls.

Tuckers been good this year. One bad game is hardly a droppable offence. Also, I can't see Ross playing Harley until S. Hill is running around close to 100% and getting involved more.
Agree.

If Cerra is well he will come in for Bewley. Bewley as mentioned in another post seems to have reduced minutes. Bewley has been solid but Cerra after mini break needs to get back in. Perhaps Bennell for the Carlton home game - although if Switta is no good it would come down to:
Banfield/Bennell/Crowden (for the 2nd change). Can’t see Switta giving up his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Cerra.
Out: Bewley.

It's hard because I've enjoyed Bewley since he's come in and his tackle and pressure work has been great. He laid a great tackle in the back pocket on the weekend while the game was tight. That said he played an unfamiliar role as deep forward on the weekend and Cerra is more suited to that.

Temptation is to bring Harley in but really it could only be for Switta who's tackling pressure has been elite since coming in. Switta doesn't get a whole heap of the ball but what he does without it is so important to locking the ball i50.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d move Sonny forward to take Switta’s role as the pressure forward and roll Hilly and Bennell through the forward flanks.

No way I'd change Son Son's role, position, pre-match instructions, or even shoe-lace tying routine after a 6-goal, 25-possession, 3-brownlow vote, match-winning game.

Tuckers been good this year. One bad game is hardly a droppable offence. Also, I can't see Ross playing Harley until S. Hill is running around close to 100% and getting involved more.

Tucker has been serviceable, ok, not bad and everything in between. He’s flown under the radar his whole career but honestly for a 50-100 gamer playing a lot of midfield minutes his impact has been underwhelming and should make way for our stars.

I recall some expert saying that you don't drop players because of skill errors - you drop them more because of decision-making errors. Makes sense I guess, but Tucker's game was less than ordinary. If we have Cerra and Bennell to come in, the three players at most risk would likely be Bewley, Switkowski and Tucker.

FWIW I'd be happy to go in unchanged providing Switta's ankle is ok.

Edit: And there is a diffidence between being 'omitted' and 'dropped'. Sometimes you just have to make way for the better player/superstar.

A couple of calls for Hill out are not seeing his impact in the second half.

Lace out pass to Cox off his right and 50m to the tit off running matera up the wing in the third. He had a couple of great spoils in the fourth and of course made the contest and then the handball to BHill for the bullet to sonny. SHill is all class and is more valuable by a mile than any of:

Bewley - tucker - Cerra - swita and that is with him working into fitness and form. I expect he will get 18-20 on the weekend and be ready for a 24-26 effort against Carlton.

Someone from Peel has told me bennell is on a specific program that has him playing 1 more game in the wafl before being available for afl selection

I understand these programs - I just want him back at the top level ASAP. I don't think our injuries have helped him come in any earlier anyway. Logue has to stay as do Darcy and Hill. Ideally, they get another game before we bring in another player even of Bennells level. I would love to be there and watch him run out against Carlton.

Someone from Peel has told me bennell is on a specific program that has him playing 1 more game in the wafl before being available for afl selection

I reckon this will be pretty close to the mark. After a win like that on the weekend and SHill building - my thought was another week at Peel. He only got 11-12 touches on the weekend but with some managed minutes he seems to be getting conditioned for the Carlton game at home.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back