Autopsy Walters kicks a bag & beats Port - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Langdon had a very good game.

He gets back so deep in defence and offers a release, but not only that, he's under pressure, but he has that first 5 metres where he digs in and gets a gap on his persuer and it allows someone else to come in for a release handball. So many times he worked the ball up the boundary side from a precarious defensive position to a reset in attack with that hard work.
As a passionate freo fan, Langdon was so much fun to watch yesterday. He was so happy for some reason, didn't stop smiling all game and was the first one there in most of the celebrations! There was one time where Lycett shoved Darcy and Ed went over and made sure Sean was okay and gave him a pat and then walked over to Lycett and shoved him haha, you love to see it

As a passionate freo fan, Langdon was so much fun to watch yesterday. He was so happy for some reason, didn't stop smiling all game and was the first one there in most of the celebrations! There was one time where Lycett shoved Darcy and Ed went over and made sure Sean was okay and gave him a pat and then walked over to Lycett and shoved him haha, you love to see it
Of twitter gif recaps fame?

It’s Millie who had brain surgery over in Sydney a couple weeks ago and it’s just been announced her mother’s cancer has returned.

Fyfe has been in constant contact and supporting her throughout her surgeries. She was sitting in the boxes just across from where I was sitting and she was in great spirits all day.

This is something that all AFL clubs do so well! Seeing her smile all day was awesome!

The boys including her in the team song after was great too.

Did anyone notice Hogan’s body language on sat? Got around every goal kicker and not a surprise he played his best game. My only critique of him atm is that he’s too unselfish going for goal. Wish he’d stop looking around when he marks i50 and just go kick a bag!

Also Blakely looked pretty happy too. I reckon a signing coming for him soon

Did anyone notice Hogan’s body language on sat? Got around every goal kicker and not a surprise he played his best game. My only critique of him atm is that he’s too unselfish going for goal. Wish he’d stop looking around when he marks i50 and just go kick a bag!

Also Blakely looked pretty happy too. I reckon a signing coming for him soon

I really liked Lyon's comments about Hogan and that the club has a longer time-frame for his contribution to the club.

I do have big expectations for our forward line to transform over the next 12 months. Another pre-season. Everyone fit and available. Darcy in the ruck, Lobb forward/ruck Perhaps Sturt being ready and available, and perhaps an early debut for Henry. I even have some residual hope McCarthy gets his act together.

Bennell and SHill into the midfield, reading the leads and putting the ball in exactly the right place. Mundy rolling forward more.

It isn't difficult to see the blueprint.

That is a terrible free kick count and Port are often in the red. No problem with them questioning it. But the game was won in the 4th quarter, and we dominated them.
not far off, but they haven't been shafted as much as other teams. here's Port's season so far free kick wise:

frees port 1.JPG

they've received 19 more free kicks than us over the season but have conceded 67 more, and have a -22 differential away from home (mind you 17 of those were on Saturday so it's pretty much an outlier)

Congratulations on the terrific win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. Based on feedback, I've now also added Champion Data's centre clearances to the mix. As a close match, the final term stats are presented separately.

Overall Summary - 31 Bounces

Fyfe 27 (1w)
Conca 25
Mundy 23
B.Hill 22 (21w, 1i)
Langdon 21 wing
Walters 18
S.Hill 9 wing
Bewley 4 wing
Tucker 3 wing
Brayshaw 2 wing
Hogan 1 wing

Rucks:
Darcy 27
Cox 4

Centre Clearance Data (Champion Data/AFL.com.au)

Mundy 5
Conca 4
Fyfe 3
Langdon 1
Tucker 1
Walters 1

1st Half - 17

Fyfe 15
Conca 14
Langdon 11 wing
Mundy 10
B.Hill 10 wing
Walters 10
S.Hill 9 wing
Tucker 2 wing
Brayshaw 1 wing
Hogan 1 wing

Darcy 14
Cox 3

2nd Half - 14

Fyfe 12 (1w)
B.Hill 12 (11w, 1i)
Conca 11
Mundy 11
Langdon 10 wing
Walters 8
Bewley 4 wing
Tucker 1 wing
Brayshaw 1 wing

Final Term - 4

Fyfe 4 (1w)
Mundy 4
B.Hill 4 (3w, 1i)
Conca 3
Langdon 3 wing
Bewley 1 wing

Darcy 4

I find these stats very interesting, I paid a lot more attention this week to the actual structure inside 50 as well.
As mentioned the Hogan wing bounce was him trying to come off the ground and being sent back on without enough time to get to the F50.
Similarly the Fyfe wing bounce was him coming off the bench.

It felt like we were quite comprehensively beaten in the centre clearances in the first 3 quarters, in particular Ryder had some quite significant hitouts that we just managed to hold up by the player coming in off the D50.
There was one great clearance though where Mundy tapped it back over his head that created a very clean entry.

We ended up 15-13 (centre) and 40-31 (total) clearances, which I assume was helped by our last quarter.
Not sure if it was structure without A Pearce, but we certainly let through a few quick goals at times.
Having said that, it felt a little like the Richmond games where he was playing.

Plenty of room to improve, but a really good overall performance.
It was a bit of validation that the team is working better together, even with two significant outs and some match fitness worries we charged to the end.

Anyone remember that game a long while back versus Essendon at Subi. We are within a kick. Seconds left. Hill running towards goal 25 metres out but being corralled by a defender so he would have had to kick with his right foot and he refused to do it, gave a stupid handball to a stationary Mayne who stuffed it up and lost us the game.
Maybe the sessions you saw were his penance.

Yes,pretty sure that was the game.
Hird coaching and Margetts did his usual ******** on Michael Barlow.
Pinged him for head contact when he was stationary and the Essendon player slid into his legs, then a 50 metre penalty for good measure followed by another to gift them a goal when it should have been a certain goal to MickyB.

Could be wrong, but I think that was the game Ryder lifted his elbow into McPharlin's jaw in the first quarter knocking him out. From memory it forced us to play Kepler back and stuffed our ruck, forward, and defensive structures and forced us to use our sub earlier than planned. I've never forgiven Ryder for that.

I love what Cox is doing lately.
When he is in the ruck he is generally not getting smashed, even against good rucks.
He is getting a goal or two a game, competing in every contest and bringing to ground, and not getting in Hogans way.
He is very good with his taps into space or to a teammate, and I think he is reasonably agile on the ground.
I think the coaches would be very pleased with him, can't believe people on here want him dropped.

Agree Darcy Tucker was strangely off on Saturday. Usually when he is off he just doesn't get the ball, but he got it quite often but disposal was off, unusual for him. Hopefully just a one-off and he is back to his good form this season this week.

Thought Logue was really good, apart from a couple of clangers coming out he looked like a top 10 pick just starting to get his confidence.

Pleased for S Darcy, he showed heaps, and SHill showed so much class as the game wore on.

For whatever reason we really seem to get it locked in our forward half late in games now, it's been impressive.

Thought Logue was really good, apart from a couple of clangers coming out he looked like a top 10 pick just starting to get his confidence.
This was the biggest positive for me. The guy has not played AFL for something like 600 days, and slotted back in with 24 disposals. Some of his marking under pressure was great and he finished the game with 8.

It was noticeable very early that the backs were disorganised, and they were often pointing and questioning each other when a Port player got free. They seemed to work it out after a while, and I noticed we always had the deepest player in the second half, so we didn't get caught over the top like we did in the first. Might take a little time for our "new" back 6 to gel, but this was a pretty handy start.

Some of his marking under pressure was great and he finished the game with 8.
It was very brave for some of it. Standing still while the ball came in and the opposition ran towards him. For all the Port big talk and bravado on field, they didn't iron out our players sitting under the ball like the usual faux tough guys would have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The holding the ball calls we had in the Brisbane game could have prepared us for the quick whistles for any raised arm fending off.

I did enjoy Dursma (I think) diving to the ground on the north east flank in the fourth quarter during that contest with Luke Ryan, looking to have a free kick for in the back paid, surrendering the contest to lay prone on the ground.

Umpires don't appreciate players trying to play them for fools.

I remember at the end of the 3rd quarter thinking “Ha! We had them where we wanted.” when we are like 1 point apart.

It’s actually quite surreal to feel that kind of confidence in the team. It’s still early times, but that kind of composure and confidence our young team is showing is amazing.

"Western Derbie"

Why am I not surprised an Ex Eagles employee can't spell :)
This is a message that I received from an ex Eagles employee

Yeah I saw the second half. Really good signs. Greater composure moving forward and lowering of the eyes. Even if they miss s set shot on goal it enables them to lock in the ball and gain repeat entries which over time leads to scores as opposed to just bombing it in long all the time. Shaun Darcy was huge, taking on Ryder and Lycett was massive. Allows greater flexibility with Lobb when he comes back in. Like the forward line not being overly tall and more mobile. Walters in the best form of his career and dangerous round goal. Next four games could set you up for the season and a finals appearance. The Western Derbie will be a must watch game.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be wrong, but I think that was the game Ryder lifted his elbow into McPharlin's jaw in the first quarter knocking him out. From memory it forced us to play Kepler back and stuffed our ruck, forward, and defensive structures and forced us to use our sub earlier than planned. I've never forgiven Ryder for that.
Neither have I

So I re-watched the second half of this game while I was having my lunch break today, and two things really struck me.

Darcy Tucker's disposal was absolutely terrible by hand and by foot - particularly going into the forward 50.

Griffin Logue was really strong and composed with the ball after half time. First half there were definitely some jitters, but second half he was really creative and linked up well.

Hopefully Darcy has a better game tomorrow, but if not I'd definitely give him some time at Peel to regain some form, because he is usually a really good kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back