Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fascinating how little we understand what players are asked to do or roles to perform each week and how it impacts on public perception.

I know this was in relation to LOB but reckon it can be said of McGovern as well.

The fact Teague keeps praising him directly or indirectly in his press conferences and talks about him playing a sacrificial role to give the likes of Charlie/McKay more space and 1v1's, tells me the coach is happy with his performances and won't be dropped.

Not to say there isn't room for improvement with some of his dropped marks, but contributing more than some people on here seem to think.

One has nothing to do with the other though.
How many years on and we still have people complaining about a non-free to Walker in a final that would have likely taken us to the Prelim?

Of course it counts more at the end of the game when it's somewhat more apparent that a call either way could be the difference between a win and a loss.
One can start to strip things back to this point in the game and then this and that, but no one can honestly say they wouldn't be 'disappointed' should the CFC lose a Grand Final to either a blatant bad decision or non-decision in the final seconds of the game.

Indeed. Good umpires can and should award "soft" free kicks and "soft" 50m penalties like the Weitering push in the back at the start of the game v the Doggies. This sends a message to the players that no indiscretion will be tolerated. Smart players cut out the niggling behaviour and play the ball. Dumb players give up multiple infringements and get dropped the next week.

As a game reaches its conclusion and where the result is on the line the umpires often do and certainly should ignore anything other than the most blatant free kicks, for a number of reasons.

1. Unless it is a clear free kick, similar infringements (either not seen or ignored) will not have been called earlier in the game. To have the result influenced by the umpires in those circs is a most unsatisfactory outcome.

2. Often, in the really close contests, there is more than one free kick at a given contest (i.e. at the time of the Leo Barry mark). Better to treat a soft infringement as evening out other potentially soft free kicks rather than picking a soft free kick that is seen that could decide the result.

3. At the end of a cliff-hanger game the spectacle is greatly improved if soft free kicks are ignored and players are allowed to play the game.

As it happens I have never left a game early when we were losing before this game. (I did once arrive late to a game against the tigers at PP when they had jumped us. I left that game with about 15 minutes to go with us scoring about 15 goals to 1 and missed the tigers kicking about 3 in junk time).

On Saturday I left at about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter when we were pinged for deliberate out of bounds. I was disgusted that this free kick would be awarded when on at least 3 earlier occasions I had thought the Doggies should have been pinged for deliberate out of bounds but never were.

After letting out an outburst of abuse I decided to expel myself from the ground and missed the next 2 bully goals and the big comeback. And, fortunately enough, the last controversial free kick, about which I can offer no opinion.

I know this was in relation to LOB but reckon it can be said of McGovern as well.

The fact Teague keeps praising him directly or indirectly in his press conferences and talks about him playing a sacrificial role to give the likes of Charlie/McKay more space and 1v1's, tells me the coach is happy with his performances and won't be dropped.

Not to say there isn't room for improvement with some of his dropped marks, but contributing more than some people on here seem to think.

It wasn't just the dropped marks. Three times the ball was kicked to his advantage in a scoring position (a rarity of good service from our team) and McGovern did not even make a contest, running under the ball twice.

He is very much out of form. I for one would like to see him regain it in the twos and bring Jack back.

One has nothing to do with the other though.
How many years on and we still have people complaining about a non-free to Walker in a final that would have likely taken us to the Prelim?

Of course it counts more at the end of the game when it's somewhat more apparent that a call either way could be the difference between a win and a loss.
One can start to strip things back to this point in the game and then this and that, but no one can honestly say they wouldn't be 'disappointed' should the CFC lose a Grand Final to either a blatant bad decision or non-decision in the final seconds of the game.
we need to keep things relative but people can live with a sports result disappointment surely - wayne harmes will tell you it's part and parcel of the theatre

Indeed. Good umpires can and should award "soft" free kicks and "soft" 50m penalties like the Weitering push in the back at the start of the game v the Doggies. This sends a message to the players that no indiscretion will be tolerated. Smart players cut out the niggling behaviour and play the ball. Dumb players give up multiple infringements and get dropped the next week.

As a game reaches its conclusion and where the result is on the line the umpires often do and certainly should ignore anything other than the most blatant free kicks, for a number of reasons.

1. Unless it is a clear free kick, similar infringements (either not seen or ignored) will not have been called earlier in the game. To have the result influenced by the umpires in those circs is a most unsatisfactory outcome.

2. Often, in the really close contests, there is more than one free kick at a given contest (i.e. at the time of the Leo Barry mark). Better to treat a soft infringement as evening out other potentially soft free kicks rather than picking a soft free kick that is seen that could decide the result.

3. At the end of a cliff-hanger game the spectacle is greatly improved if soft free kicks are ignored and players are allowed to play the game.

As it happens I have never left a game early when we were losing before this game. (I did once arrive late to a game against the tigers at PP when they had jumped us. I left that game with about 15 minutes to go with us scoring about 15 goals to 1 and missed the tigers kicking about 3 in junk time).

On Saturday I left at about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter when we were pinged for deliberate out of bounds. I was disgusted that this free kick would be awarded when on at least 3 earlier occasions I had thought the Doggies should have been pinged for deliberate out of bounds but never were.

After letting out an outburst of abuse I decided to expel myself from the ground and missed the next 2 bully goals and the big comeback. And, fortunately enough, the last controversial free kick, about which I can offer no opinion.

That one stung for me. Surely you can't pay a deliberate out of bounds against a guy that has not taken possession of the ball. Baffling.

Cracking game of footy. I can deal with a few bad calls. (We got a few for and against) Just hate when the game is seemingly decided by the umps.

That one stung for me. Surely you can't pay a deliberate out of bounds against a guy that has not taken possession of the ball. Baffling.

Cracking game of footy. I can deal with a few bad calls. (We got a few for and against) Just hate when the game is seemingly decided by the umps.

Huh? Of course you can, remember when players used to paddle or palm the ball out of bounds?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was seated near this section. The peanut Carlton supporters were giving him heaps. I’m surprised the stadium gestapo weren’t into the thick of our area as there were a good few lippy douches who give all Carlton supporters a bad name with their attitude. Fair call for him to give it back, I say. Good in him.
Yep. This board sings the praises of our players when they have given it to opposition fans, murph to pies faithful I believe was one, yet cry foul when an opposition player dares do the same.

we need to keep things relative but people can live with a sports result disappointment surely - wayne harmes will tell you it's part and parcel of the theatre

Whether we like it or not the stakes are higher at the end of the game and will be scrutinised accordingly.
I've already put forward the reasons for this being the case and even though we may not want to say otherwise, the gravity of a poor decision that ultimately decides the game will have more impact, than a poor decision at the beginning of the game.
We cannot honestly deduce an outcome of a game on poor early decisions, but when it's down to a last call we can - We can say with conviction that if it wasn't for that particular poor decision, side X would have won. That becomes fact whilst everything before it is simply speculation.

It was a reasonable call. Unfortunately, Weitering tapped it on with the 'wrong' hand; with the boundary line on his right, going left-handed at the ball could only be to push it out. He needed to be better there, and not just because he had more time, space and support than he thought he did. He needed to take possession even if it had meant being tackled, because the boundary line was close enough for him to wrestle the ball over the line before being pinged for holding the ball. Not a game-turning moment - we'd been bad for a long stretch of Q4 before that happened - and I reckon he will learn from it.

As many have pointed out....what if ....however game lost 1stQ and early lastQ due to setup at ball bounce.
Cripps double teamed, one on shoulder and the other running between ruck contest and Cripps. Couldn’t believe no move from the box.

This is it, and of course afl apologizer ling says oh yes, that was definately deliberate. No it wasn't, weitering was gassed and that actually all he could do at the time. And it happened so many times throughout the game, the umpires need to pull their heads in and realize the games not about them. Have a feel for the game Ffs.

Back