Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick having a whinge about BIG TOM not getting any help from the umpires....

He's getting a helluva lot more help now than he ever got playing for us.

If he can't take enough marks with one of the best midfields supplying him, maybe he's just not worth the 900k you're paying him.

His first goal last night gifted from a free kick where he just flopped at the knees from a soft push

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 5.56.18 AM.png

Look at that drop off.
Still kicking plenty of goals but just not marking anything or getting any touches.
Down on goal assists show he is not really part of the play, just getting frees and taking an occasional mark close to goal.

Another good game by Saad. I rated him as one of Clayton greatest pick for GCS.

Another good game by Saad. I rated him as one of Clayton greatest pick for GCS.
He was Rookie drafted wasn't he?

A second round pick out of him wanting to turn tail for Melbourne is a pretty damn good return for a Rookie pick.

Not sure who we turned that pick into but a good way for us to make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

A second round pick out of him wanting to turn tail for Melbourne is a pretty damn good return for a Rookie pick.

Not sure who we turned that pick into but a good way for us to make chicken salad out of chicken poop.
Who you talking about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance GC and Carlton could play their next game at Adelaide Oval? you would get 50000 there to support Gold Coast this year

edit - plenty would buy some Gold Coast merchandise for the game too
Never forget the crowd going nuts when we hit the front and hung on against the Power back in 2011. Half the attendees must’ve been Crows fans.

Over-simplified to say Saad trade = McLennan.

The Saad pick became #27, which was traded to with #32 West Coast (who selected Xavier O'Neill and Bailey Williams), as well as a 2019 5th round pick which is likely to be used on an Academy player. #23 was used on McLennan, but Saad was only worth about 60% of the pick. Many say we paid overs, but until the late pick in this Draft is used then all bets are off. However, BRM, I agree that the return on zero investment in Saad is a huge win and the points in the swap meant nothing because the Suns went after their target and got him.

Aaron Hall for #68 became Jack Hombsch was probably the best deal.

This is probably for the six times you come to Suns forum and tell us that Suns are several years behind Lions. Once of twice would be enough for me.

It is the fact (not excuse) that Suns had 15 players on the injury list the last game (8-10 best 22 missing, 6 top 10, 2 best defenders). Lions would struggle big way this year with a similar injury list. Basically only Collingwood can deal with this amount of injuries. Several years behind? Suns are 3-10 compared to last year Lions who were 1-11 and were missing nobody for the first half of the season and then just 1-3 best 22.

One extra year into 1-4 years players will make huge difference for Suns in 2020, and who knows may be the injury list will swap. Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth, Macpherson will be ready for full time midfield job besides Miller, Swallow. The only issue for me at the moment besides reasons behind extensive injury list is will Suns show enough promise for the rest of season to attract 1-2 quality player which would speed up the team progress.

I don't want to go too much into analysis of Lions team but a lot of Lions fans are jumping ahead of themselves mainly due to minimal injury list resulting in a stability of the best 22. You are 2-3 injuries to better players to fall off significantly. I bet Berry would be handy against Carlton. It can change quickly. Lions also don't play as many young players as generally is believed. Usually Lions average age is 25 years compared to Suns 23 years 4-7 months last 5 rounds. Not surprisingly, early in the season Suns fielded 24 years old teams.

First of all, I want to apologise for posting in the other thread, obviously I forgot which thread I was reading when I replied to you post.

This is probably for the six times you come to Suns forum and tell us that Suns are several years behind Lions. Once of twice would be enough for me.
You made a comment, and I disagreed with it. You introduced the Lions in to the topic. if you hadn't of mentioned the Lions, I wouldn't have replied to your comment.

We have different opinions, we're different people, there's no problem with either of our posts. However a bit later last night I did realise I made a mistake in my reply to you. I should have said the Suns look like the Lions of 2017, not 2016.

It is the fact (not excuse) that Suns had 15 players on the injury list the last game (8-10 best 22 missing, 6 top 10, 2 best defenders). Lions would struggle big way this year with a similar injury list. Basically only Collingwood can deal with this amount of injuries. Several years behind? Suns are 3-10 compared to last year Lions who were 1-11 and were missing nobody for the first half of the season and then just 1-3 best 22.
No disagreement here from me, as I basically said the same in my post.

What I do disagree with is the strength of depth of our two teams. My opinion is that the Lions depth last year is greater than the Suns depth this year.

You may have started the season with a better win loss record than us, but you finished with a worse win loss record, and your current percentage is 20 points down on what our percentage was last year, and we copped a 100 point flogging from Richmond early last season.

One extra year into 1-4 years players will make huge difference for Suns in 2020, and who knows may be the injury list will swap. Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth, Macpherson will be ready for full time midfield job besides Miller, Swallow. The only issue for me at the moment besides reasons behind extensive injury list is will Suns show enough promise for the rest of season to attract 1-2 quality player which would speed up the team progress.

I don't want to go too much into analysis of Lions team but a lot of Lions fans are jumping ahead of themselves mainly due to minimal injury list resulting in a stability of the best 22. You are 2-3 injuries to better players to fall off significantly. I bet Berry would be handy against Carlton. It can change quickly. Lions also don't play as many young players as generally is believed. Usually Lions average age is 25 years compared to Suns 23 years 4-7 months last 5 rounds. Not surprisingly, early in the season Suns fielded 24 years old teams.
And this exactly other reason why I believe the Suns are two or three years behind the Lions. In 2016 and 2017 we were playing a lot of kids, and pretty much all our top draftees walked in to the side in their first year. Now, our first team depth is such that most of our 2018 draftees are outside our current best 30 odd players, and only one has played this year so far.

You introduced the Lions in to the topic.
I did not. You replied to somebody else comment who mentioned Lions if you talk about yesterdays posts in Suns Lounge. I have no issues with your opinion while I disagree. I just noticed you tell us the same over and over in the past year. But I can live with that. I can only image the treatment I would receive on Lions thread if I would do the same.

Over-simplified to say Saad trade = McLennan.

The Saad pick became #27, which was traded to with #32 West Coast (who selected Xavier O'Neill and Bailey Williams), as well as a 2019 5th round pick which is likely to be used on an Academy player. #23 was used on McLennan, but Saad was only worth about 60% of the pick. Many say we paid overs, but until the late pick in this Draft is used then all bets are off. However, BRM, I agree that the return on zero investment in Saad is a huge win and the points in the swap meant nothing because the Suns went after their target and got him.

Aaron Hall for #68 became Jack Hombsch was probably the best deal.
Do you need to use pick 68 if GCS did not trade two third round pick to Brisbane, why do double work if you don't need to. Brisbane want Neale badly without getting him I doubt they will let beams go. Two first round for beams at his age is pretty good business.

our first team depth
Quality of your depth has not been tested yet as you miss usually only 1-2 best 22. I probably forgot someone but Cutler, Christensen, Keays, Bastinac, Lester, Walker are average players at best (Walker probably the best to my surpirse), after that a lot of untried, young players you don't know yet if they will make it at AFL. Personally, I would actually prefer if Fagan would give them more opportunity and develop them faster as even if Lions make finals, the current team has not chance to winning it all.

Last edited:
I did not. You replied to somebody else comment who mentioned Lions if you talk about yesterdays posts in Suns Lounge. I have no issues with your opinion while I disagree. I just noticed you tell us the same over and over in the past year. But I can live with that. I can only image the treatment I would receive on Lions thread if I would do the same.
Sorry, I forgot to check who the OP was, and because you replied and I cut and pasted your reply out of the lounge thread when I realised where I posted, I automatically assumed you were the OP.

As for treatment on our board, I would hope that as long as the posts were civil, the replies would be civil as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back