Hills Football League

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
True. I think its the right level for them and im really surprised that they lost so many that they cant even field a senior or junior colts team.
What do you think of Lobethal's demise this year? Have absolutely worked themselves over IMO and lost the players.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
So, are Hahndorf favourite this year?
So far they are, they've dominated the league and beaten every single team in division 1. There hasn't really been a challenge for Hahndorf so far, they always seem to win comfortably. It's no surprise they're undefeated going into their second bye.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Might be a stupid question, but why did they choose Nairne to go into Division 1 over say, Kersbrook? Or Ironbark?
It sounds like they've been solid in Division 2, but they certainly aren't the best.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I'm a Hahndorf supporter, but this weekend I went to the Nairne Bremer United game against Blackwood, which just so turned out to be their first division 1 win! And it was also part of their 1989 premiership anniversary game!

I learned a lot more about why the HFL chose Nairne to come into division 1, and I actually think it was a pretty smart choice now. Basically, even though Nairne isn't that great at the moment their younger teams are pretty good, so in a few years time they will be well equipped to start competing, it sounds like a good long-term decision at least.

And don't call me a heretic but I bought a Nairne beenie because it was freezing.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
The ladder is pretty competitive at the moment, I can't say there's much of a gap between the 2nd placed team to the 7th placed team.
Who will make the five?

Crashy

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
harndorf would beat any country team in Sa, easy to do when you are spending so much though

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Gummeracha are in the Division 2 grand final after beating Ironbank and the undefeated Kersbrook!

texas_ranger

Senior List
Aug 4, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Comps not worth watching anymore, the flattest grand final day in years no real interest in either senior grades from anyone. Not even Hahndorf supporters got up and about

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Comps not worth watching anymore, the flattest grand final day in years no real interest in either senior grades from anyone. Not even Hahndorf supporters got up and about
I think most people knew what the final result was going to be, and I think Onka still have a big future ahead of them, but Hahndorf are just too high above the rest of the league at the moment. Their skills and structure are just so clean. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, like any dominant team they will have to step down from the throne at some point.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Guumeracha and Hahndorf taking the premierships for their respective divisions. It's been a good year for hills football, with Nairne coming into Div 1 with Onka and Macclesfield starting to rise up for their divisions.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
I think the competition is actually quite good and generally worth watching. The B Grade GF was pretty good and both of those teams have some excellent players. There was certainly a feeling throughout 2019 that Hahndorf were always going to win and they have been the stand-out team. I don't think it helped that the weather was forecast to be so bad- and was terrible in the morning.

The HFL is actually pretty even at the moment, from 2nd to 7th was very close and Lobethal have made massive signings, so they will improve next year under Fuller. Onkas have good juniors coming through and are expected to make a signing or two as well, so will be around the mark. Lofty are always competitive and have points to use, very strong juniors, so could be much stronger in 2020.

I have concerns for the future of Echunga. They have no juniors, so might have to head down to Div 2?

As for Hahndorf, their second tier players in the A Grade will attract bigger offers from elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how many they can retain.

Back