Not open for further replies.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Ok boys trade talk for 2020.

In particular the ruck situation.

Mummy had a good game on the weekend but I am not confident he has a 2020 season in him. It seems like the increase in penalties he is giving away this year is him trying to compete when he is beaten. I also have very little confidence in Simpson- he is just not first ruck material and Fynn might be a good player when he is 24ish, but he is still not dominating NEAFL level on a regular basis so it is hard to see him making the step up if named.

I think if we clear Mumford and Simpson from the list but keep players like Flynn and Briggs, we will have the space to bring someone in who might be on the outer elsewhere. Maybe someone like Darcy Cameron who is relatively untried at afl level but is killing it in the neafl might be worth a shot.

Other more mature options might be someone like Martin up at Brizzy or jacobs who has been pushed out at the crows

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Mummy had a good game on the weekend but I am not confident he has a 2020 season in him. It seems like the increase in penalties he is giving away this year is him trying to compete when he is beaten. I also have very little confidence in Simpson- he is just not first ruck material and Fynn might be a good player when he is 24ish, but he is still not dominating NEAFL level on a regular basis so it is hard to see him making the step up if named.

I think if we clear Mumford and Simpson from the list but keep players like Flynn and Briggs, we will have the space to bring someone in who might be on the outer elsewhere. Maybe someone like Darcy Cameron who is relatively untried at afl level but is killing it in the neafl might be worth a shot.

Other more mature options might be someone like Martin up at Brizzy or jacobs who has been pushed out at the crows

Pretty much agree and there are certainly a number of rucks coming out contract this year who are worth a look. Also the best thing we can do for the development of Flynn and Briggs is have them ruck 50/50 at neafl level and having Simpson doing 90% of the ruck work at neafl level is just limiting Flynn and Briggs development.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

I can see the club going for a cheap mature pick up and keeping Simpson (also cheap and mature) as I see the club liking to have 4 rucks on the list and it will be down to Flynn/Briggs to make the position theirs

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with Patton as i can see the club wanting to get his salary of the books and it is down to him to see what he does in the back half of the year to either prove his value to the club or see what offers he can get, Hawks would be interested IMO and maybe the dogs could finally land him after he toured his facilities in 2014:p
I can also see TOJ getting some massive offers and no way the club can match so I can see a good trade for the club if he is looking for a big pay day, again the same 2 clubs

nosmas1

Rookie
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Good discussion on certain player importance (particularly Toby Greene) on this podcast ep. Enjoy

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
From the afl website an analysis on possible moves at the end of the year
Interesting comment about Deledio wanting to go on again and I cant see it happening unless he wants to play for minimum wage and with the likelihood of not being guarenteed seniors i cant see him signing on and I cant see any contracts being finalised before the end of the season apart from Coniglio and last years draftees
The one I think they missed is TOJ and he will get some offers well over his contract for next year but if anything does happen good luck to him

Free agents: Matt Buntine (unrestricted), Stephen Coniglio (restricted), Adam Tomlinson (unrestricted)

Whispers: After sitting in seat 1A on the flight from Hobart after the Giants' win over North, is Coniglio in Melbourne for business interests or to meet with clubs? For every week he stays out of contract, rival clubs including Hawthorn and Carlton start to take more notice. Tomlinson admitted earlier this year he sat behind Coniglio in the pecking order, with Buntine even further back. Tomlinson has received interest from St Kilda and Western Bulldogs, among others. Veteran Brett Deledio wants to go on again, but the Giants are keen to see how his soft-tissue history stacks up in the back half of the year.

Re-signing priority: Pre-agent Jeremy Cameron, who will be a restricted free agent next year, is joined by Tim Taranto, Lachie Whitfield and Sam Taylor in falling out of contract in 2020. Attention will quickly turn to them for fresh deals once Coniglio is over the line. - Mitch Cleary

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Wonder if we look at Paddy Ryder? He’s lost faith of coach who is playing him as forward mostly. Is 31 so only a stop gap but I do worry about our ruck depth and I actually don’t think he’d be excy. Given the chance to be in a flag team I reckon he would take a lesser deal.

I would go after a player like Jarrod Witts, 3 years younger then Ryder. Under contract you would presume but would slot straight in once Mumford hangs it up again.

We have 2 1st rounders this season, so to use our 2nd pick and maybe Patton ;) and we get Witts and 2nd / or 3rd rd pick

Patton wont adjust to the Melbourne bubble, gives GC a CHF and pick that im sure they would want another in the 1st round with the high chance Martin will go

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I would go after a player like Jarrod Witts, 3 years younger then Ryder. Under contract you would presume but would slot straight in once Mumford hangs it up again.

We have 2 1st rounders this season, so to use our 2nd pick and maybe Patton ;) and we get Witts and 2nd / or 3rd rd pick

Patton wont adjust to the Melbourne bubble, gives GC a CHF and pick that im sure they would want another in the 1st round with the high chance Martin will go

I’ve actually warmed to Witts who has become an important player. We kind of scorned him a few years ago when he was thrown up in a stupid trade deal with Treloar and I don’t think he’s a massive fan of us! He seems very settled and is a senior leader at GC. Wouldn’t say no if he was a chance.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

If there was ever a stereotype Bigfooty trade scenario... this is it.

But you are doing it wrong.

You need to say things like
"He would surely take unders to come to a successful team"
"Patton in a straight swap for Witts and their second rounder"
"My aunty is a hairdresser up on the sunny coast she she cuts Witt's hair... he isn's happy up there"

If there was ever a stereotype Bigfooty trade scenario... this is it.

But you are doing it wrong.

You need to say things like
"He would surely take unders to come to a successful team"
"Patton in a straight swap for Witts and their second rounder"
"My aunty is a hairdresser up on the sunny coast she she cuts Witt's hair... he isn's happy up there"

Thanks for the assistance in how i should word it next time :thumbsu:

Stereotype is he goes to Hawks but lets go outside of the box from Intel received from your barber that he wont adjust in Melbourne and lets move him to somewhere that will benefit us most for once

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Did the Giants miss an opportunity by not taking an accomplished ruckman in a minor league in the mid-season draft. i.e. as in the Swans taking Michael Knoll. Maybe not so much to play this year but to be set-up to play next year due to a better understanding of fellow teammates.

Did the Giants miss an opportunity by not taking an accomplished ruckman in a minor league in the mid-season draft. i.e. as in the Swans taking Michael Knoll. Maybe not so much to play this year but to be set-up to play next year due to a better understanding of fellow teammates.
Knoll was the only one selectable and was a monty to be gone at our pick.
All we need to do is let Flynn/Briggs play ruck in NEAFL

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Knoll was the only one selectable and was a monty to be gone at our pick.
All we need to do is let Flynn/Briggs play ruck in NEAFL
We need to let Flynn/Briggs play for their development, agreed. But this slightly begs the question; if Mummy is cooked at year's end and Simpson simply isn't good enough to compete as our number one ruck regularly (probably as Mummy had to come back this year and Simpson has been in the system for years without cementing a spot), will either Flynn or Briggs similarly be good enough to compete as our number one ruck regularly.

Your thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Overall, I think that our list is in pretty good shape. We haven't quite got to a 'standard' AFL-list age-profile owing to the start-up, with a bulge at the 25-26 year-old age group, but it's not as pronounced as in earlier years. And there's quality players on every line and at various ages, certainly within the bounds of normal drafting to refresh. The current profile is shown below (age at at 1 March 2020), including rookie listed players (& noting that we have Mumford & Reid from the RL holding first grade spots) [the number in brackets is the number in the best 22 team IMHO at the age bracket]:

>30: 5 (3) - Shaw, Mumford (R), Deledio, Simpson, Reid (R)

29: 4 (3) - de Boer, Ward, Keeffe, Davis
28: 1 (0) - Lloyd
27: 2 (2) - Haynes, Kennedy
26: 9 (4) - DBuckley (R), Cameron, Patton, Tomlinson, Greene, Buntine, Sheridan, Coniglio, Stein(R)
25: 4 (3) - Corr, Whitfield, Williams, Kelly
24: 2 (2) - Langdon, Finlayson
23: 2 (2) - Himmelberg, Hopper
22: 3 (1) - Flynn, JBuckley(R), Taranto
21: 3 (1) - Sproule (R), Cumming, Perryman
20: 6 (1) - Bonar, Daniels, Taylor, Shipley, Briggs, Hill
19: 5 (0) - O'Halloran, Idun, Brown (R), Caldwell, Hately

I would note that we actually have added players into that 26 age bracket, by grabbing Dyl Buckley and Sheridan from other clubs, and taking Stein across from athletics.

In terms of potential player losses this year, obviously we have to move at least 2 off the main list to allow 3 national draftees to be taken. I'd opine that we're in a good state whereby there's hardly anyone that we feel we have to delist (unlike other clubs where you have several players that are cooked or spuds), but there's a couple in the range of possible retirement (potentially forced if not voluntary - for the good of the list), a couple we could cut; as well as the 3 possible restricted free agents who could depart. From the chatter, Bonar and/or Patton may well be eyeing off a return to Victoria.

The biggest unknown for us the fans is the state of the TPP, and therefore how the $ situation will influence potential departures. I hope like crazy that Cogs doesn't leave, but if he stays I don't know whether that may cause another round of lesser/expensive players (such as Bonar & Patton) to be allowed to go, to enable cheaper draftees to be put on the list. In my mind, there's a fine line where that can be successful - keeping the players that fit in the 'best 30' - versus continually needing to regenerate the backup players which undermines the squad depth each year.

So, if i look at that list, I'm thinking that (providing the TPP is OK) if we retain Cogs, then it's a couple of the older players that I want to move on. There was an article saying that Lids and Mummy both want to play on, but their bodies are suspect and I'm not convinced another year would be worthwhile for GWS. Heater is a bit similar, wanting to go on, but while he looked last year to have dropped form, he's stabilised this year and maybe has another year in him. Of course, if GWS manage to win a flag this year, that circumstance may make that decision easier for those players and the club. Simpson is the other player in the gun - thanks for the service these past years Dawsome, but we need Flynn and Briggs to be getting NEAFL ruck time, and while you've been giving silver service to our young NEAFL midfielders, they need that time in the ruck now. Keeffe is the other player I would think is in the sights, but if we do move on Simpson, then I'd suggest we'd keep Keeffe as he is that 'break glass in an emergency' player who can fill in at ruck.

As the preceding several contributions focussed on, the ruck situation is the most significant query on our team composition - and it's frustrating because it has been so for several years. Mummy was a great fillip coming to us, and has proven to be a positive addition this year on return, but his time is ticking quickly. Like others, I don't know that he can go again in 2020; nor am I convinced that Flynn or Briggs will be ready to go in 2020 - not least because they're not getting enough rucking in NEAFL with Simpson there. Unless we're prepared to go and get a younger ruck such as O'Reilly at Adelaide or Preuss now at Melbourne (and unlikely that they want to leave or that their clubs would allow it & it may cost us Flynn/Briggs longer term), then we're after an older ruck for a season or two while giving more NEAFL time to Flynn and Briggs. Although he turned us down in the past, I would see Paddy Ryder as a possible option to chase - if he wants 2 years then that's OK by me as I don't think he's cooked; just get him back to being the primary ruckman doing 80-90% game time, with Tommo filling in the rest. That means we don't want to lose Tommo to an RFA. Who else could it be? Probably Jacobs from Adelaide the other option, but I'd expect he'd be less likely than Paddy to want to leave Adelaide, plus he's closer to being cooked. Stef Martin from Brisbane maybe, which probably depends on the Brisbane succession situation - they probably want to keep him but if they want to promote Archie Smith or Oscar McInerny to starting ruck and keep him for experienced depth, perhaps he'd come to a club that wants him as first ruck for 2 seasons. Any which way I look at it, though, I'm moving Simpson on to give the younger rucks opportunity.

Of the RFAs, Cogs is the highest profile, and the most likely to go to a team that can pay him much more than us. If he goes, I'd see us keeping the other two in Bunts and Tommo. I don't think either would be on excessive amounts, Tommo as a first grade regular and important to the team structure, and Bunts as NEAFL captain, and an experienced backup. However, they are in that 26 year-old bracket, where surely the list manager is thinking about slimming it down. I'd keep both, and think that Bunts could be the Heater replacement for the short term, unless/until Cumming or someone else (O'Halloran, Hately?) grab the opportunity. In that same age group, I could see us parting ways with Tommy Sheridan - we haven't seen him at all this year, and with an unreliable body on a 1-year contract, he's disposable. An option would be to release him and rookie list him for depth.

And that brings us in that same age group to Jono Patton. I hate myself for typing these words, but I can't help but think that the writing may be on the wall for the General at GWS. The first ever pick for us, a brave and loyal servant from whom we've never seen the best due to his recurring injuries - I don't and I sure the club doesn't want to move him on, but if we keep Cogs (which I have a good feeling we will), then moving the General and his contract $ on make eminent sense so that we keep younger kids. He might be saved if others want to leave, such as Bonar, depending on exactly where our TPP situation is at.

As I say every season, I hope that we have a small number of changes over the trading period. Losing vast numbers and having to regenerate in NEAFL (mainly) each year is self-defeating, so a 3 or 4 player loss would be good IMHO.

No matter what happens with Cogs and Bonar, I expect to see Tom Green come into the club as a matched early bid academy grad. The only issue is that he is very much a grunt player for stoppage work, and lacks the acceleration that is ideal in today's game. I'm not sure that we'll take too many of the other academy kids - Delahunty I think lacks enough class to be a first grade KPP, although Peatling who has now shown that he can play HBF and forward may be a late or rookie pick. Sproule I think is at the end of his 3 year rookie period, so needs to be put onto the main list or cut (or cut and re-rookied similar to Sam Reid last year). I would be happy to put him on the main list - maybe just a one-year contract, but he's a mobile forward in the mould of Finlayson & HH. Similarly, Kae Stein finishes his first 3 years with us - I presume he's on the same rules as Sproule and other rookie-listed players, so we may need to find a spot for him on the list too. Of course, we are only using 39 out of 40 main list spots, so we can jiggle around numbers a little.

So, possible losses: Simpson, Deledio?, Mumford (if so, we'll bring in a ruckman), Sheridan, Patton, Bonar.

Possible gains: Ruckman (via trade), Tom Green (ND), Sproule & Stein (RL upgrades).

Another fascinating post-season coming up, as undoubtedly there will be someone unexpected pop up for a trade, and probably someone that the draft team rate whom I'm not looking at.

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Overall, I think that our list is in pretty good shape. We haven't quite got to a 'standard' AFL-list age-profile owing to the start-up, with a bulge at the 25-26 year-old age group, but it's not as pronounced as in earlier years. And there's quality players on every line and at various ages, certainly within the bounds of normal drafting to refresh. The current profile is shown below (age at at 1 March 2020), including rookie listed players (& noting that we have Mumford & Reid from the RL holding first grade spots) [the number in brackets is the number in the best 22 team IMHO at the age bracket]:

>30: 5 (3) - Shaw, Mumford (R), Deledio, Simpson, Reid (R)

29: 4 (3) - de Boer, Ward, Keeffe, Davis
28: 1 (0) - Lloyd
27: 2 (2) - Haynes, Kennedy
26: 9 (4) - DBuckley (R), Cameron, Patton, Tomlinson, Greene, Buntine, Sheridan, Coniglio, Stein(R)
25: 4 (3) - Corr, Whitfield, Williams, Kelly
24: 2 (2) - Langdon, Finlayson
23: 2 (2) - Himmelberg, Hopper
22: 3 (1) - Flynn, JBuckley(R), Taranto
21: 3 (1) - Sproule (R), Cumming, Perryman
20: 6 (1) - Bonar, Daniels, Taylor, Shipley, Briggs, Hill
19: 5 (0) - O'Halloran, Idun, Brown (R), Caldwell, Hately

I would note that we actually have added players into that 26 age bracket, by grabbing Dyl Buckley and Sheridan from other clubs, and taking Stein across from athletics.

In terms of potential player losses this year, obviously we have to move at least 2 off the main list to allow 3 national draftees to be taken. I'd opine that we're in a good state whereby there's hardly anyone that we feel we have to delist (unlike other clubs where you have several players that are cooked or spuds), but there's a couple in the range of possible retirement (potentially forced if not voluntary - for the good of the list), a couple we could cut; as well as the 3 possible restricted free agents who could depart. From the chatter, Bonar and/or Patton may well be eyeing off a return to Victoria.

The biggest unknown for us the fans is the state of the TPP, and therefore how the $ situation will influence potential departures. I hope like crazy that Cogs doesn't leave, but if he stays I don't know whether that may cause another round of lesser/expensive players (such as Bonar & Patton) to be allowed to go, to enable cheaper draftees to be put on the list. In my mind, there's a fine line where that can be successful - keeping the players that fit in the 'best 30' - versus continually needing to regenerate the backup players which undermines the squad depth each year.

So, if i look at that list, I'm thinking that (providing the TPP is OK) if we retain Cogs, then it's a couple of the older players that I want to move on. There was an article saying that Lids and Mummy both want to play on, but their bodies are suspect and I'm not convinced another year would be worthwhile for GWS. Heater is a bit similar, wanting to go on, but while he looked last year to have dropped form, he's stabilised this year and maybe has another year in him. Of course, if GWS manage to win a flag this year, that circumstance may make that decision easier for those players and the club. Simpson is the other player in the gun - thanks for the service these past years Dawsome, but we need Flynn and Briggs to be getting NEAFL ruck time, and while you've been giving silver service to our young NEAFL midfielders, they need that time in the ruck now. Keeffe is the other player I would think is in the sights, but if we do move on Simpson, then I'd suggest we'd keep Keeffe as he is that 'break glass in an emergency' player who can fill in at ruck.

As the preceding several contributions focussed on, the ruck situation is the most significant query on our team composition - and it's frustrating because it has been so for several years. Mummy was a great fillip coming to us, and has proven to be a positive addition this year on return, but his time is ticking quickly. Like others, I don't know that he can go again in 2020; nor am I convinced that Flynn or Briggs will be ready to go in 2020 - not least because they're not getting enough rucking in NEAFL with Simpson there. Unless we're prepared to go and get a younger ruck such as O'Reilly at Adelaide or Preuss now at Melbourne (and unlikely that they want to leave or that their clubs would allow it & it may cost us Flynn/Briggs longer term), then we're after an older ruck for a season or two while giving more NEAFL time to Flynn and Briggs. Although he turned us down in the past, I would see Paddy Ryder as a possible option to chase - if he wants 2 years then that's OK by me as I don't think he's cooked; just get him back to being the primary ruckman doing 80-90% game time, with Tommo filling in the rest. That means we don't want to lose Tommo to an RFA. Who else could it be? Probably Jacobs from Adelaide the other option, but I'd expect he'd be less likely than Paddy to want to leave Adelaide, plus he's closer to being cooked. Stef Martin from Brisbane maybe, which probably depends on the Brisbane succession situation - they probably want to keep him but if they want to promote Archie Smith or Oscar McInerny to starting ruck and keep him for experienced depth, perhaps he'd come to a club that wants him as first ruck for 2 seasons. Any which way I look at it, though, I'm moving Simpson on to give the younger rucks opportunity.

Of the RFAs, Cogs is the highest profile, and the most likely to go to a team that can pay him much more than us. If he goes, I'd see us keeping the other two in Bunts and Tommo. I don't think either would be on excessive amounts, Tommo as a first grade regular and important to the team structure, and Bunts as NEAFL captain, and an experienced backup. However, they are in that 26 year-old bracket, where surely the list manager is thinking about slimming it down. I'd keep both, and think that Bunts could be the Heater replacement for the short term, unless/until Cumming or someone else (O'Halloran, Hately?) grab the opportunity. In that same age group, I could see us parting ways with Tommy Sheridan - we haven't seen him at all this year, and with an unreliable body on a 1-year contract, he's disposable. An option would be to release him and rookie list him for depth.

And that brings us in that same age group to Jono Patton. I hate myself for typing these words, but I can't help but think that the writing may be on the wall for the General at GWS. The first ever pick for us, a brave and loyal servant from whom we've never seen the best due to his recurring injuries - I don't and I sure the club doesn't want to move him on, but if we keep Cogs (which I have a good feeling we will), then moving the General and his contract $ on make eminent sense so that we keep younger kids. He might be saved if others want to leave, such as Bonar, depending on exactly where our TPP situation is at.

As I say every season, I hope that we have a small number of changes over the trading period. Losing vast numbers and having to regenerate in NEAFL (mainly) each year is self-defeating, so a 3 or 4 player loss would be good IMHO.

No matter what happens with Cogs and Bonar, I expect to see Tom Green come into the club as a matched early bid academy grad. The only issue is that he is very much a grunt player for stoppage work, and lacks the acceleration that is ideal in today's game. I'm not sure that we'll take too many of the other academy kids - Delahunty I think lacks enough class to be a first grade KPP, although Peatling who has now shown that he can play HBF and forward may be a late or rookie pick. Sproule I think is at the end of his 3 year rookie period, so needs to be put onto the main list or cut (or cut and re-rookied similar to Sam Reid last year). I would be happy to put him on the main list - maybe just a one-year contract, but he's a mobile forward in the mould of Finlayson & HH. Similarly, Kae Stein finishes his first 3 years with us - I presume he's on the same rules as Sproule and other rookie-listed players, so we may need to find a spot for him on the list too. Of course, we are only using 39 out of 40 main list spots, so we can jiggle around numbers a little.

So, possible losses: Simpson, Deledio?, Mumford (if so, we'll bring in a ruckman), Sheridan, Patton, Bonar.

Possible gains: Ruckman (via trade), Tom Green (ND), Sproule & Stein (RL upgrades).

Another fascinating post-season coming up, as undoubtedly there will be someone unexpected pop up for a trade, and probably someone that the draft team rate whom I'm not looking at.
Todd Goldstien: 30 years old, first class ruckman, out of contract, unrestricted free agent and no premierships. Maybe if he is willing to sacrifice some coin compared to what he could get elsewhere, in exchange for the best chance of a cup; he could be a real possibility.

In two years time we will know if Flynn or Briggs are the real deal or have shown enough to warrant further development.

I really hope this is wrong but I heard that Cogs to Geelong is looking likely.
If Kelly stays they have no cap space, if he goes West then they'll find the cap space if Cogs wanted them. Hawks board talks about Cogs sightings with Hawks players and they suggest he's definitely going there, but then again so was Tom Lynch :)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
If Kelly stays they have no cap space, if he goes West then they'll find the cap space if Cogs wanted them. Hawks board talks about Cogs sightings with Hawks players and they suggest he's definitely going there, but then again so was Tom Lynch :)
The reported deal offered to kelly was 800k. We have that on the table as a min. Kelly leaving would free up cap but they will need to find more than that

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Todd Goldstien: 30 years old, first class ruckman, out of contract, unrestricted free agent and no premierships. Maybe if he is willing to sacrifice some coin compared to what he could get elsewhere, in exchange for the best chance of a cup; he could be a real possibility.

In two years time we will know if Flynn or Briggs are the real deal or have shown enough to warrant further development.
Thought about Goldy, but the rumour is he's on huge money (which obviously he'd expect to have reduced, but perhaps not as much as he'd have to for us), and apparently he wants to stay in Melbourne to be closed to his kids. The other issue would be that Norths lost the heir-apparent when Preuss moved to Melbourne, so they'd put a premium on any trade because they'd have to similarly go buy a replacement. So, certainly another possible, but a few pointers against IMHO. (Of course, I don't know all the likely arguments against for Paddy Ryder, although as previously discussed he apparently turned us down when he moved to SA.)

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I am sure we were discussing the ruck situation last year and the same names were coming up
Still time in the season to see how the current ruck stocks are and I think the clubs hands are tied due to the SC and the priority of re-signing players and assuming SC does re-sign the club will only have room for a low contract and I think Simpson has another year in him but it is if the coaches are comfortable with Flynn/Briggs playing seniors next year with this in mind but here are some names and analysis
Goldstein Too expensive and unlikely to uproot his family and happy at north
Ryder IMO very similar and will get good money in Melbourne if he was too move
Martin Would be great for a year although 33 before next season starts I could see him possibly wanting to play for a flag although would he move and would the Lions trade him (Not sure on his contract)
Ceglar If a trade with the Hawks is on the cards would the club be interested in him would he be up for a move and also would the Hawks be willing to let him go, McEvoy has 2 years in him IMO and Pittonet is 23 and ready for AFL by the looks of his vfl numbers
Cameron 24 Next month so at the age that he should be playing AFL so would he move for the opportiunity and would the Swans trade him, Sinclair and Naismith both older and more experienced but with the later injured I think they will only trade him if he comes back from injury ok
Others could be one of the Lions 2 younger rucks Smith/Mcinerny depending on which is preferred and what happens with Martin and also the Saints have an excess ruck with Hickey, Marshall and Pierce although not sure if any have what the club is looking for
Also the Eagles have an excess first ruck if NN plays out the season with Vardy and Hickey but money could be a factor
It could come down to a more expensive ruck moving from club A to B and we take a cheaper option from club B

Hawks851

Senior List
Jul 3, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ceglar If a trade with the Hawks is on the cards would the club be interested in him would he be up for a move and also would the Hawks be willing to let him go, McEvoy has 2 years in him IMO and Pittonet is 23 and ready for AFL by the looks of his vfl numbers

if i was the hawks and gws were keen id be all over ceglar for patton trade

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Looks a decent player.

Any comparisons to how his U18 season stacks up to hopper's?

He has some Hopper traits but honestly is more Cripps. He doesn’t have great agility which is a shame as we do desperately need some but he gets plenty of it and uses it well and is really tall. He will be a point of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back