Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is giving me a bad sense of deja vu. Our team sucks, but we're clinging to the performance of our best player to keep our chins up. Very much how I felt as a young kid in the 80's.
Them: "Hey, Melbourne sucks!"
Me: "yeah, well, Brian Wilson/Peter Moore - Brownlow winners!"

I'd love Viney to step down from the captaincy so he can focus on his game but I feel like would never do that. Keen for Gawn to co-skip with him next year with Jonesy playing on in 2020 but without leadership responsibilities.

Absolutely smashed him. Is there anywhere to get Hit Outs to Advantage stats? Interested to see how the two compared
Don't know where you get those stats tbh.

But during the 3rd quarter I remember one of the commentators saying that he had 17 hitouts to advantage at that stage

Don't know where you get those stats tbh.

But during the 3rd quarter I remember one of the commentators saying that he had 17 hitouts to advantage at that stage

Champion data has them I’m pretty sure.

This thread is giving me a bad sense of deja vu. Our team sucks, but we're clinging to the performance of our best player to keep our chins up. Very much how I felt as a young kid in the 80's.
Them: "Hey, Melbourne sucks!"
Me: "yeah, well, Brian Wilson/Peter Moore - Brownlow winners!"
Isn’t it great.

I think this s**t is why I’m a Melbourne supporter. Not for me your routine, boring “yay we are PREMIERS” crap. That’s for ordinary people. I’m a supporter of an atypical club - terrible overall but with spatterings of greatness. Basically a true AFL emotional connoisseur’s choice.

When does his contract run out? I'm seriously worried the bloke will get sick of propping up the rabble and jump ship to a decent club.
The only point i can ever see Gawn leaving is like a Goddard like cap issue and the club turfs him or very late in his career to do some mentor role at another club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Threw a tenner down on the big man for the Brownlow @$51
I just threw $5 on him @ 101-1 on Ladbrokes...

How do you guys assess his chances this year?

He's on 16 votes on AFL Predictor... but I think Grundy might be just by a whisker slighly ahead of Gawn this year, but many votes will be pinched from Grundy by other Pies players, when comparing to Gawn.

I know rucks don't poll that great, but I suspect Tim Kelly our best chance will cop a heavy tag for the rest of season and could potentially drop a bit in polls, but is an extremely good chance.

If he didn't win the brownlow last year, he will never win it. Especially given the fact we will end up having a considerable difference in win/loss this season which will make polling votes even harder. Not many taking votes off him this year though..

He's on 16 votes on AFL Predictor... but I think Grundy might be just by a whisker slighly ahead of Gawn this year, but many votes will be pinched from Grundy by other Pies players, when comparing to Gawn.

I know rucks don't poll that great, but I suspect Tim Kelly our best chance will cop a heavy tag for the rest of season and could potentially drop a bit in polls, but is an extremely good chance.

Depends how many games we win in 2nd half of the year. Brayshaw and Oliver aren’t anywhere near as good this year as last year so they aren’t going to steal as many votes off him.

Darn I should have jumped on those odds.

If he didn't win the brownlow last year, he will never win it. Especially given the fact we will end up having a considerable difference in win/loss this season which will make polling votes even harder. Not many taking votes off him this year though..
That’s why he’s a big chance this year. There’s normally a lag between a player really dominating and polling votes. Once your recognized as a gun you are way more likely to poll well. After the game, when the umps are considering their votes, your first thought would be how did the gun players go? I think the recognized guns have a mortgage on the votes unless someone else plays an absolute blinder.

That’s why he’s a big chance this year. There’s normally a lag between a player really dominating and polling votes. Once your recognized as a gun you are way more likely to poll well. After the game, when the umps are considering their votes, your first thought would be how did the gun players go? I think the recognized guns have a mortgage on the votes unless someone else plays an absolute blinder.
No chance
Rucks don't poll well, rucks in a 4 win side really don't poll well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back