Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Gold

Premium Platinum
Apr 21, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
An interesting week for selections.

I would just like the following
a) Our senior players to show some hardness at the contest (BB, Silk and Pops excluded)
b) Unlike last week, if one of our new players scores a first AFL goal, get around him ffs (it was piss weak last week when Glass scored his first goal, there was little or no enthusiasm shown to get around him and shove it up the Scums noses)
c) On-field leadership, calling upon the senior troops to rally when pressed by the opposition and deliver the leadership for our youngsters and newbies to the club to follow.
d) All of the above.

Totally agree. I'm so disappointed in our capable but under performing senior guys this year. Can't remember us lacking on field leadership like this. Enough is enough.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Impey is more of a need up forward for mine at the moment.

A forward line of the following guys looks promising and more mobile to me:

HF: Breust, Gunston, Ross
FF: Puopolo, Lewis, Impey

Impey is our most viable option for the second pressure forward alongside Puopolo. Has both elite pace and is a strong tackle. We looked really good against the giants with him up forward.

Lewis, Gunston and Ross make for a slight yet mobile forward line that should be difficult to handle.

For mine, Cousins might also need a spell. Allows us to give Harry Jones a go, reward his effort in the VFL.

I was just catching up on this thread and I was about to comment about Impey being the one we need in the forward line but you said it for me. This all really goes back to what Tops was saying about us brining in players that can fill the roles down back so guys like Impey / Hardwick can move into the forward line. Moving forward I can really envisage Hardwick going back to his junior roots and filling a sorely needed forward role for us.

Longmire gets very set in his ways unfortunately. Refuses to even try Mills in the midfield and he only just started using Hewett as a midfielder about 2 years after he probably should have started trying.
Speaking to the father of one of your recent premiership champions, and he wants Longmire gone. Found that quite interesting.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
CJ in for Strats (suspended). Lewis in for Glass (omitted). Ross in for Smith (omitted). Wingard in for Poppy (omitted). Scrimshaw in for Brand (omitted).

B: Impey, Frawley, O’Brien
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Hardwick
C: Hendo, Worpel, Scully
HF: Ross, Gunston, Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, Moore

R: McEvoy, Shiels, O’Meara

I: Ceglar, Burgoyne, Cousins, CJ

Time to play the kids. If Smith wants to look as disinterested as he did on Friday then he can play at Box Hill. Ross, Lewis and CJ belong in prime time - time to get them in. Moore should be persisted with. Breust and Gunston to remain - Gunston to play up forward though rather than roaming the ground.

this is what i would do except i would keep Poppy because at least he flew the flag when McEvoy was getting rag dolled and there doesnt seem like theres anyone else that has the fight in them when warranted, i would drop Cousins in place of Poppy personally.

IN: CJ, Lewis, Ross, Wingard and Scrimshaw
OUT: Stratton(susp?), Glass, Smith, Cousins and Brand

this is about playing players in form, they just so happen to be the kids.

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watching Jaeger get tagged out of games is so frustrating. I'm not sure if it's just a case of he has to learn to work through this himself or the mids need to work better as a unit to protect him. Howe could possibly make a difference in this regard. Im not convinced this is the right call but Jaeger having little impact is killing us with our lack of midfield depth.

Lewis coming back for Brand structurally makes sense. Between Chip, TOB and Sic this should be more than enough height down back. Scrim a straight swap while Stratts is given a likely holiday.

It would be great to see Ross given a chance but im not sure for whom. It might be they go with just one ruck and drop Ceglar to bring Ross in. Therefore try Lewis, Gunston and Ross as mobile talls up forward. Even if Ross doesn't make the 22 it would be good to see him make the squad to show he is close.

Playing Brand against Essendon was a disaster. There’s no way he plays this week.

I’m not sure if Lewis will come straight back in despite our lack of marking options and inability to score.

Even though he wasn’t 100% fit I thought McEvoy was quite good against Essendon and his marking ability around the ground was excellent. He should do the bulk of the ruck work with Ceglar playing close to goal.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Speaking to the father of one of your recent premiership champions, and he wants Longmire gone. Found that quite interesting.

Refuses to change, and as stubborn as an ox.

Potentially playing Jack is another example as Jack has been substandard for 2 years now, and it would be such a Longmire move to change a team that did so well two weeks ago and bring in an aging player who has not played well in years.

Clarke for all his faults is playing pretty well at the moment, and it would be insane for Jack, who has been terrible for 2 years, and has not played in the NEAFL, to take Clarke's spot, almost like Longmire will believe in Jack pretty much no matter what.

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
Cousins out is only going to overburden Jags even more than he is currently over-burdened. And if Sydney tag him it means Worpel will be carrying a huge workload. Only way for Cousins to go out would be to replace him with Howe.
Honestly I don't really think Cousins is alleviating Jags burden either way though, I'm okay with Cousins but we shouldn't be afraid to replace him. Howe adds real value defensively and is a better kick, with delivery concerns and being traffic cones in the midfield at times over the past month I dunnoh why Howe isn't already in.

Honestly I don't really think Cousins is alleviating Jags burden either way though, I'm okay with Cousins but we shouldn't be afraid to replace him. Howe adds real value defensively and is a better kick, with delivery concerns and being traffic cones in the midfield at times over the past month I dunnoh why Howe isn't already in.

I agree, Cousins seems to get more uncontested than contested ball at a senior level.

Howe is hardly tearing it up at a VFL level, which is the issue. It'd be great to see if Jones can come in and offer something, because I reckon his 20 touches and 5 tackles a game would be pretty consistent regardless of the level he plays at.

Pittonet on the weekend: 21 disposals, 49 hitouts. He has taken huge strides this year.

Dominant VFL player but he’s just not suited for the modern game. I would be very surprised if he’s on the list next year.

If Birchall and Minchington get through training this week they will both play in the VFL game on Saturday.

Does anyone have word on Koschitzke? He has now missed 4 consecutive VFL games and hasn’t been sighted for a month. I mean if he’s injured okay fine, but I just wish the club would be more honest and upfront about this. He’s not even listed on the injury list!

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dominant VFL player but he’s just not suited for the modern game. I would be very surprised if he’s on the list next year.

I understand Pittonet's limitations, but his improvement this year is what gives me hope for him.

A big lad, not athletic, can hit a sweet spot in their mature 20's, when they can throw their weight around. Not unlike a Mumford.

He certainly has the combative streak needed.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well stratton suspension will be intresting, we have often had 3 talls in plus stratts this year which i feel is impacting our horrible slow methodical ball use stratgery thru the middle of the ground. Would be great to cause some overlap run and quick movment starting from the defence,
Lets have Scrimshaw,Sicily,Burgoyne,Impey across half back Frawley,Tob The main pillers

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely the MC realise their massive stuff up last week and recall Lewis, leave out Brand and send Sicily back. CJ for Stratts maybe. Morrison a big chance to come in also. Ross to debut when our season is completely dead and preferably at the G.

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well stratton suspension will be intresting we have often in with 3 talls plus stratts this year which i feel is impacting our horrible slow methodical ball use stratgery thru the middle of the ground. Would be great to cause some overlap run and quick movment starting from the defence,
Lets have Scrimshaw,Sicily,Burgoyne,Impey across half back Frawley,Tob The main pillers
Great post. I think losing Stratts will mean we will have a better balanced back 6:
Hardwick Frawley Silk
Sicily O’Brien Impey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back