FTA-TV Chernobyl

You guys are all alarmists. It was just a minor accident according to Andrew Bolt. Radiation...pfft!

9E06BED6-66E2-4DFC-B31C-FAA5B9EA5CA9.jpeg

Me and the misso binge watched this over the weekend.

FMD one of the best shows I've seen in years. Probably limited rewatchability given the events etc but will be doing well to see a better show this year.

Can you tell the subtle differences between Russian accents? Do you know which denote education, working classes, or the fact a charachter isnt actually Russian?

Its made for a western audience, and the presence of accessible accents gives added depth when building character, especially when a character plays a small role and needs you to understand their history quickly. Miners have yorkshire accents, scientists southern posh to denote education. Skarsgard is the exception, but he is their A lister.

I mean they could have gone for American, but given the cold war that would seem pretty dumb.

Have a look at The Death of Stalin notes on how they used a wide variety of accents to amplify subtle differences

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This - sure Russian accents would have been more realistic but for a character like Dyatalov you just would not have understood his character portrayal properly without the tone in which the actor speaks and emphasizes his lines - seemingly devoid of all emotion and sense at times (take him to the infirmary he is obviously delerious - etc etc)

whiskas56

Draftee
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Mini Series On HBO. Anyone been watching? The end of episode two was very powerful.

I think most of us have a general idea about what happened but this so far seems a great telling of the event, if you can ignore the English speaking British accented Ukrainians.
Saw the whole lot overseas. Wish I hadn’t. I found it extremely disturbing.
A great show in the respect that we got a true glimpse into the truth of it all and the absolute devastation it caused.
I thought I knew how bad, but I really really didn’t 😔.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brilliant show worth the hype. Question of accents didn't worry me.

Has special significance for me - I copped Chernobyl fallout in my travels in 1986. Had to eat a lot of seaweed real fast due to radioactive iodine.

Fallout blew over Japan eventually (where I was). Japanese are a bit sensitive about radiation and their media were producing fallout maps over the country, a bit like air pressure isobars.

It was a strange feeling going outside - I couldn't see, feel or taste the fallout (obviously) but I knew it was there.

Strange times...

Brilliant show worth the hype. Question of accents didn't worry me.

Has special significance for me - I copped Chernobyl fallout in my travels in 1986. Had to eat a lot of seaweed real fast due to radioactive iodine.

Fallout blew over Japan eventually (where I was). Japanese are a bit sensitive about radiation and their media were producing fallout maps over the country, a bit like air pressure isobars.

It was a strange feeling going outside - I couldn't see, feel or taste the fallout (obviously) but I knew it was there.

Strange times...

are you godzila?

This - sure Russian accents would have been more realistic but for a character like Dyatalov you just would not have understood his character portrayal properly without the tone in which the actor speaks and emphasizes his lines - seemingly devoid of all emotion and sense at times (take him to the infirmary he is obviously delerious - etc etc)

I wish they did this with something like Star Trek Discovery and the Klingons talking. They could start out speaking klingon then cut to english, the audience understands they are speaking klingon, just like in this - we know they aren't speaking english in a russian accent. In fact, if they showed him giving the speech to the world with a heavy russian accent, in english, it would have further reinforced that the people with english accents are the russians speaking russian and the heavy russian accent english is the russians speaking english.

I don't want to read the entire dialogue and miss out on the nuance.

Back