Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Groves resigns as Bulldogs’ AFLW coach
Jun 17, 2019 6:20PM

646102-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Groves was the inaugural coach of the Club’s elite women’s team in the first season of the AFLW competition in 2017, and led it to the ultimate success in 2018
Premiership coach Paul Groves has resigned from his position as the Club’s AFLW head coach.
Groves, who was the inaugural coach of the Club’s elite women’s team in the first season of the AFLW competition in 2017, and led it to the ultimate success in 2018, informed players and staff of his decision this evening.
He leaves after three years as a crucial component of the Bulldogs’ women’s program, to take up an exciting role outside the football industry, in the education sector.
“For a long time, I have been planning for a career in coaching, but following starting a family with my wife Sarah over the past three years, we together made the decision that coaching within the AFL environment, either in a full-time or part time capacity, was not a career I wanted to continue to pursue over the coming years,” Groves said.
“As someone with a long teaching and sporting background, I made the decision over the past few months that I would like to return to pursuing opportunities that combine these two passions of mine.
“Whilst this was a really tough decision to make, I believe it is also in the best interest of my family. I want to be the best dad and husband I can be.
“I also believe it is in the best interest of the Club for me to be proactive with this decision, with the view of allowing them time to work through finding an appropriate replacement during the AFLW off-season period.
“This decision coincided with recently being offered a fantastic opportunity to return to a teaching leadership position. An opportunity to pursue my passion for teaching and sport, while also providing me with an opportunity to spend more time with my family.
“As a father of two daughters, I feel lucky to have experienced and shared the demands of life with my playing group over the past three years. It has shaped my parenting for the better.
“I leave proud that my family and I have created many friendships that will last a lifetime. This should be the ultimate aim of sport at any level.
“Through the hard work of all involved, we have a premiership to reflect on, which allows us to catch up and spend further time together in the coming years.
“I am forever in debt to the Western Bulldogs for giving me the opportunity to not only coach, but to help create the Club’s AFLW program in 2016.
“It’s been an amazing ride, and one which I’m extremely lucky to have had the privilege to experience.”
Groves has left a big impact on the Bulldogs’ AFLW program, taking the team from second last in the first season to a fairy-tale premiership the following year.
“Paul has been an outstanding contributor for our women’s football program for the last three years, and he can be proud of everything he has achieved,” said Bulldogs’ Director of Football, Chris Grant.
“After helping to establish our AFLW team for the inception of the competition, he led us to an unforgettable flag, which was a landmark achievement in the Club’s history.
“We understand the fantastic opportunity Paul has been offered to work in the education sector, we respect and support his decision to leave the football industry and we understand this was a difficult decision that was centred around his family and future career.
“We wish Paul and Sarah all the best in his future endeavours, and know that he holds a special place in the history of our women’s football at our Club.”
The Bulldogs will immediately begin its search for a new AFLW head coach, as the Club continues its preparation for the 2020 season.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Been hearing rumours surrounding Groves leaving for a while now. He leaves a premiership coach and you can't ask for more than that and he gave plenty more.

As for his replacement, really hope we go full strength at Goddard.

Western Bulldogs 2020 AFLW Fixture

R1 vs St Kilda @ RSEA Park, Sunday 9 February, 3.10pm (Ch 7)
R2 vs Melbourne
@ VU Whitten Oval, Friday 14 February, 7.40pm (Ch 7)
R3 vs Carlton
@ VU Whitten Oval, Saturday 22 February, 3.10pm (Ch 7)
R4 vs West Coast Eagles
@ Leederville Oval, Saturday 29 February, 4.10pm (Ch 7)
R5 vs Collingwood
@ Morwell Rec Reserve, Sunday 8 March, 1.10pm (FOX)
R6 vs Fremantle
@ VU Whitten Oval, Sunday 15 March, 1.10pm (FOX)
R7 vs North Melbourne
@ Arden St, Saturday 21 March, 3.10pm (Ch 7)
R8 vs GWS Giants
@ VU Whitten Oval, Friday 27 March, 5.45pm (FOX)

Semi-finals: April 4-5, TBC
Preliminary finals: April 11-12, TBC
Grand Final: April 18 or 19, TBC

Slack Nang

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CDFC
Are you kidding me. The only reason I am hanging around is because I have been waiting for an AFLW player sponsor thread. Frankly I can not think of anything more important and vital and there is no better person to drive it

As an aside, I am going to quit my shitty job and shitty bosses. 20 years with the same company and after a labour hire threatens to punch me in the head they keep him on

What am I saying.... New players, new coach, new footy season. On Feb 9th the first Bulldogs players take to the field to represent our glorious club and it would be my privilege to make it easier and to be part of the big footy AFLW player sponsor family, If Fossie32 starts such a thead

:thumbsu::thumbsu::)

You did a good job Fos, happy to put in if you kick one off.

Are you kidding me. The only reason I am hanging around is because I have been waiting for an AFLW player sponsor thread. Frankly I can not think of anything more important and vital and there is no better person to drive it

As an aside, I am going to quit my shitty job and shitty bosses. 20 years with the same company and after a labour hire threatens to punch me in the head they keep him on

What am I saying.... New players, new coach, new footy season. On Feb 9th the first Bulldogs players take to the field to represent our glorious club and it would be my privilege to make it easier and to be part of the big footy AFLW player sponsor family, If Fossie32 starts such a thead

:thumbsu::thumbsu::)
Wow! That is very inspiring! I'm onto it :)

I can probably stretch it to $250 if necessary.
That's very good of you but hopefully there are a few other white knights or erm knightesses :drunk: out there who can put in a little bit :rainbow:

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Doggies AFLW fans

Too Serious will be holding our 2nd season of AFLW based competition in 2020 during the 2020 AFLW home and away season, building on the success of our 8 team, 7 week competition in 2019.

As AFLW Draftstars is only a weekly comp we are one of the few full season fantasy comps on offer for AFLW next season – the other I know about is at SuperCoach Talk see https://supercoachtalk.com/aflw-fantasy-final-results/ for details of their 2019 competition. Hopefully success of our comp and others elsewhere will lead to SuperCoach and RealDream team comps further down the track.

We are looking to grow numbers substantially so whether you are an AFLW fanatic, general fantasy football or fantasy sports fan or both please consider having a crack at either a keeper league or draft format competition (or both). Also pass on the word to your family, mates and fantasy league buddies if you think they would be keen. Multiple leagues can be formed depending on how many entries we receive.

If your fantasy football site of choice for AFL mens comps is elsewhere that is no issue and this comp will slot in nicely with those who compete in BBL supercoach and AFL Supercoach and AFL Fantasy comps.

Imagine your excitement as you draft the likes of Blackburn, Newton, Grant and other emerging Doggies AFLW Superstars and the crème de la crème of the 13 other AFLW sides and battle it out against your fellow league coaches each week.

As the AFLW season commences on Friday 7th February, 2020 pre-season drafts for AFLW comps will need to commence on or around Friday 24th January, depending on league size (ie 6 to 12 teams). AFLW player positions, league draft order, league draft starting time and other details for 2020 will therefore be finalized and listed by Thursday 16th January.

To join up for 2020 ORFFW comps either send me a Direct/Personal message here at Big Footy, click on the link below or send me a tweet or DM at MystixORFFW @MOrffw indicating whether your preference is for a keeper league, annual draft league, or you are willing to have sign up for one of each.

Cheers TTH

Last edited:

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Had a scratch match with Richmond. Sounds like the girls are looking good.

Report here: https://womens.afl/news/41266/clubs-blow-off-the-cobwebs-in-first-hitouts-for-season

RICHMOND v WESTERN BULLDOGS

Richmond came out firing early, but a mid-game fadeout in the second and third terms proved costly, losing to the Western Bulldogs 8.9 (57) to 3.1 (19) over five periods of game play.

The Dogs looked incredibly sharp, with clear structures and clean ball movement throughout the game.

Izzy Huntington spent some time behind the ball where her marking skills came to the fore, while Kirsten McLeod was a constant threat whether inside 50 or on the wing.

Key forward Deanna Berry looks set to take her game to another level in the absence of Katy Brennan. Talent has never been an issue for Berry, but it was her consistency and second efforts that stood out.

Issy Grant showed a clean pair of heels rotating between forward and the midfield, and No.1 draftee Gabby Newton made a few skill errors but found plenty of it playing in the centre.

For the Tigers, Courtney Wakefield will be a handful at full-forward, with very strong hands and a physical presence.

Sabrina Frederick took a few solid marks at centre half-forward, Alice Edmonds was a steady presence in the ruck and young midfielder Sophie Molan was busy throughout.

The issue for Richmond was clearing it out of its defensive half. When the Tigers got on a roll with fast game play (usually led by Akec Makur Chuot and Phoebe Monahan), they looked very dangerous, but those moments didn't happen as much as they would have liked.

Brennan played two of five terms on the ball and was rested around that, with Monique Conti not playing (basketball commitments).

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What has she said?

Never had so much fun apparently, along with Conti’s “this club really supports me in both sports”. Backhanders to our club, yet who supported Brennan’s appeal in 2018, and allowed Conti to manage her basketball commitment?

And apparently we don’t have any leadership in AFLW either, given this article omits us completely:

Back