AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Got a feeling they'll move to gold coin entry next. Small amount of revenue is better than none.

$5 entry in a couple seasons time perhaps, and so on and so forth.

Haven't actually seen a AFLW game live before, just WAFL.

Weagles will change that next season :thumbsupemoji:

I reckon most people would be happy with a gold coin donation to start with, and it would be a good way to start generating more revenue for the women’s league.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I reckon most people would be happy with a gold coin donation to start with, and it would be a good way to start generating more revenue for the women’s league.
I seem to remember a discussion along the lines, once you start charging, the extras involved in organisation and costs would eat up any money made, if people were paying a gold coin. ie, You need people to collect the money, you need security for it, needs to be counted and tallied, reconciled, banked. You get queues to be managed. As compared to just opening the gate, and letting everyone walk in. The gold coin mostly goes on paying those costs, and the clubs/AFL would get little to nothing.

I think keep it free until your serious.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I seem to remember a discussion along the lines, once you start charging, the extras involved in organisation and costs would eat up any money made, if people were paying a gold coin. ie, You need people to collect the money, you need security for it, needs to be counted and tallied, reconciled, banked. You get queues to be managed. As compared to just opening the gate, and letting everyone walk in. The gold coin mostly goes on paying those costs, and the clubs/AFL would get little to nothing.

I think keep it free until your serious.

Seems like someone was making up an excuse not to charge anything to me. If it wasn’t worth collecting gold coin donations at events, then there wouldn’t be any that say that exact same thing. The AFL has all of those people for men’s matches, I’m sure they could get a Skeleton staff to collect gold coins at women’s matches, in fact, Swans charge $5 for women’s matches coz they put on bouncy castles etc like they do for the men’s games, so if they can do it I’m sure the AFL can. :)

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
The financial situation for the Eagles is an interesting one when thinking about what they are doing with the Eagles AFLW membership.

For $50, you get the following:
1560477786813.png

Wow!!!!!

Are they trying to get people engaged with joining in the spirit of getting behind the women who will be playing and representing the club? Since there is no entry fee to go to games, it is hard to see the reason for paying another $50. What they are offering as the members benefits is pretty minimal.

Are they just trying to pump up membership numbers to compete with the likes of the Hawthorn Tassie membership, the Richmond I've got my dog registered membership or alike. Then good news, creating another membership category fits that bill. Personally I thought I was aleady a West Coast Member. Will I then be asked to become a member of the Beagles?

Are the club trying to generate sufficient funds to pay the women a decent wage? Well there is the salary cap and that is very modest. West Coast can afford that out of the $10,894,794 profit of 2018 (following the $12,804,032 profit of 2017). There might be additional costs to get the players off field employment at the club to pay them a decent wage. I would say the a $1 mln allocation would be something we could accomodate.

They really should be charging to see the games. I would advocate $5 entry for the games. Kids under 16 for free and girls under 25 for free. Next year I will be going to games with my daughters and wife and would be OK paying - I have stayed away from now as I could not get to the point of being prepared to support the Purples.

The competition is in a funny place at the moment. The ALFW season sucks in the timing and the length. I would like to see a fuller season played in winter. Making the women play games in February and March is about as fair as the college boys schools rowing in summer and the girls row in winter.

My desire would be a competition where each team plays each other once with the GF played in the men's bye week. Oh and if there needs to be some money to prop up the teams, then maybe the Players Association would agree to a men's cap freeze for 5 years to subsidise the women. I wonder if President Paddy would be ready to tweet that and share his opinion like he does on everything else.

Interesting times ahead.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The financial situation for the Eagles is an interesting one when thinking about what they are doing with the Eagles AFLW membership.

For $50, you get the following:
View attachment 691997
Wow!!!!!

Are they trying to get people engaged with joining in the spirit of getting behind the women who will be playing and representing the club? Since there is no entry fee to go to games, it is hard to see the reason for paying another $50. What they are offering as the members benefits is pretty minimal.

Are they just trying to pump up membership numbers to compete with the likes of the Hawthorn Tassie membership, the Richmond I've got my dog registered membership or alike. Then good news, creating another membership category fits that bill. Personally I thought I was aleady a West Coast Member. Will I then be asked to become a member of the Beagles?

Are the club trying to generate sufficient funds to pay the women a decent wage? Well there is the salary cap and that is very modest. West Coast can afford that out of the $10,894,794 profit of 2018 (following the $12,804,032 profit of 2017). There might be additional costs to get the players off field employment at the club to pay them a decent wage. I would say the a $1 mln allocation would be something we could accomodate.

They really should be charging to see the games. I would advocate $5 entry for the games. Kids under 16 for free and girls under 25 for free. Next year I will be going to games with my daughters and wife and would be OK paying - I have stayed away from now as I could not get to the point of being prepared to support the Purples.

The competition is in a funny place at the moment. The ALFW season sucks in the timing and the length. I would like to see a fuller season played in winter. Making the women play games in February and March is about as fair as the college boys schools rowing in summer and the girls row in winter.

My desire would be a competition where each team plays each other once with the GF played in the men's bye week. Oh and if there needs to be some money to prop up the teams, then maybe the Players Association would agree to a men's cap freeze for 5 years to subsidise the women. I wonder if President Paddy would be ready to tweet that and share his opinion like he does on everything else.

Interesting times ahead.
Most clubs are charging similar. Reasons for it being, it has value, people want to be inaugural members of the women's team, and are willing to pay. Memberships do incur some costs for the club, I doubt they make much profit out of the $50. In that sense, it's symbolic, both from the club, and members.

Also, a lot of people are keenly aware of the, 'it makes no money, why are they paid?' debate, and are willing to pay their share. Currently, buying a membership is about the only way to do it.

From the club's perspective, a $50 AFLW club membership bought for a 14 year old girl for her birthday, no downside there. It's getting people on the club's mailing list who may have been hard to reach otherwise.

Most people I have heard about with memberships of other clubs AFLW team did it as a form of sponsorship, to be able to say they were early members, and just to support the club, the material benefits are beside the point.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Most clubs are charging similar. Reasons for it being, it has value, people want to be inaugural members of the women's team, and are willing to pay. Memberships do incur some costs for the club, I doubt they make much profit out of the $50. In that sense, it's symbolic, both from the club, and members.

Also, a lot of people are keenly aware of the, 'it makes no money, why are they paid?' debate, and are willing to pay their share. Currently, buying a membership is about the only way to do it.

From the club's perspective, a $50 AFLW club membership bought for a 14 year old girl for her birthday, no downside there. It's getting people on the club's mailing list who may have been hard to reach otherwise.

Most people I have heard about with memberships of other clubs AFLW team did it as a form of sponsorship, to be able to say they were early members, and just to support the club, the material benefits are beside the point.

Have they indicated where they are playing home games ?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
How come my membership to the Eagles does not include the women? Why is there two memberships, one club? Doesn't really effect me but doesn't make any sense.
Several reasons. Firstly, if your interested in women's football, and not a current Eagles member, you should be able to get a membership to the AFLW without the expense of getting a full membership.

Secondly, if there was no women's membership, the trolls would immediately be saying that this was because they knew they wouldn't be able to sell memberships for the women's team, and were just trying to hide this fact.

Third (similar to the first), I imagine quite a few memberships will be going to footy mad Eagles supporting girls as presents etc. A $50 membership with associated paraphernalia and addition to the contact list is ideal.

How come my membership to the Eagles does not include the women? Why is there two memberships, one club? Doesn't really effect me but doesn't make any sense.

Because you aren't a member - you are a customer

There is no mutualisation or true membership benefits.

So what you have is a product of 3/5/11 games wrapped up and sold as a marketing package called a "membership". Like a gym membership.

To be a true membership - we should have a say on the direction of our club. We don't.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Because you aren't a member - you are a customer

There is no mutualisation or true membership benefits.

So what you have is a product of 3/5/11 games wrapped up and sold as a marketing package called a "membership". Like a gym membership.

To be a true membership - we should have a say on the direction of our club. We don't.

Agree, I actually call myself a minor sponsor.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Looks like West Coast have got a gun in Mikayla Bowen. Won the MVP in the 18's Championships and her stats were head and shoulders above anybody else from WA.
The other is Roux. Doesnt have Bowens stats, but does what others cannot. Anyone know the rules for Eagles priority picks from the academy? Is Roux available, or does it have to be mature age. Otherwise I suspect the Purple will get her as they have first pick.

Looks like West Coast have got a gun in Mikayla Bowen. Won the MVP in the 18's Championships and her stats were head and shoulders above anybody else from WA.
Is a hard running gun, Mikayla.

Happy to have her in the blue and gold

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
West Coast have used their under-age pre-draft picks and went for Bowen and Deegan. They can only add over age players before the draft.

Also made the U18 AFL side

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sure that they are after the same ones as Freo. But West Coast do have seven priority signings to go that should be announced shortly.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Its a good sign that only 4 bottom age players made the team. In previous years, the best players made the U18 all Australian side every year for several years. That fewer are making indicates the years are becoming more even. The comp was dominated by the best handful in each year group, but now the older players are more uniform, the best younger players will have to wait until they are older to really stand out.

On another note, I am really really hoping that the reason we took Bowen and Deegan when we did, is because Roux was old enough that by the draft, we could take her as an open age priority pick.

If she isnt available to us as one of our priorities, then it is almost certain Freo get her, and she is the biggest X factor player in WA.

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bad miss in not taking Roux, especially seeing that Deegan has decided not to play football and is moving overseas to play basketball.

Bad miss in not taking Roux, especially seeing that Deegan has decided not to play football and is moving overseas to play basketball.
When did she decide this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back