Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for continuing to share mate.

I'd be stoked if we could get a high upside young key position talent in the door. Much more than I would be with Bruce, Patton, Casboult or others mentioned in that ilk (Patton purely due to injury).

Both teams are reasonably well stocked with young key position talent. Fogarty and Himmelberg are not getting a game at the crows. Howard is kind of being thrown everywhere at Port Adelaide.

But, my guess, and I would be super excited by this, is Todd Marshall. Country Vic kid, drafted in 2016, but has only played 16 games, only 6 this year. A super talent.
Todd Marshall - is he the St Kilda guy?
If so yep- get him, somehow.

Just my two cents but the idea of getting Whitfield at the cost of two first rounders and Breust (or thereabouts) does not get me exited one bit, especially when we could get him a year later for nothing. No doubt the club knows more than me, but I’m having a time swallowing some of these strategies.. in Clarko we trust I guess!
This. We simply cannot dump our first pick this year.

Just my two cents but the idea of getting Whitfield at the cost of two first rounders and Breust (or thereabouts) does not get me exited one bit, especially when we could get him a year later for nothing. No doubt the club knows more than me, but I’m having a time swallowing some of these strategies.. in Clarko we trust I guess!

Great player Lachie but giving up two 1st rounders for him ( this years one which could be top 5 ) won't get us challenging. The paying up big strategy like we have with Jaeger, Wingard and potentially Lachie if this eventuated can work, but you need to pick up a couple of quality Free agents along the way for it to balance out.

Don’t want to give up 2 first rounders for anyone. Especially a half back flanker, like Whitfield,even though he is a gun. As others have stated aswell, we are going no where by having to trade out top picks all the time. We need some freebies. Would love to Get Marshall from Port. Get Fogarty from Crows and Cogs as free agent. Then we will get around pick 5 in this draft, we then trade a big name player to improve that pick high enough to get Noah Anderson and Get Finn. That would be a great off season. Get Whitfield next year for nothing. We need some quality hard as f**k midfielders with leadership.

Great player Lachie but giving up two 1st rounders for him ( this years one which could be top 5 ) won't get us challenging. The paying up big strategy like we have with Jaeger, Wingard and potentially Lachie if this eventuated can work, but you need to pick up a couple of quality Free agents along the way for it to balance out.
I agree about giving up 2 first rounders BUT I think we all need to trust how Wrighty could get it done. For instance the deal for Lachie might be our 2020 & 2021 1st rounders leaving us to use our 1st rounder this year. The option could be to use our 2021 1st and trade Smith to the Suns & our 2019 2nd rounder for the Suns 1st (pick 12 atm). That might not be enough for the Suns but I’m sure Wrighty and the team can work their magic like they always do. Looks like the writing is on the wall for Smith so cashing in on him while he still has some currency would be wise.

I agree about giving up 2 first rounders BUT I think we all need to trust how Wrighty could get it done. For instance the deal for Lachie might be our 2020 & 2021 1st rounders leaving us to use our 1st rounder this year. The option could be to use our 2021 1st and trade Smith to the Suns & our 2019 2nd rounder for the Suns 1st (pick 12 atm). That might not be enough for the Suns but I’m sure Wrighty and the team can work their magic like they always do. Looks like the writing is on the wall for Smith so cashing in on him while he still has some currency would be wise.

hang on , you can only trade next year's 1st ? (so we could trade 2019 1st and 2020 1st potentially - god i hope we don't)

I don't think you're allowed to trade picks 2 years in advance under the current rules, so that particular deal wouldn't be possible.

Obviously no one on this board has watched Lachie Whitfield this year, has played every game in the midfield, was actually gws’ best midfielder up until his injury. The guy is an absolute superstar, one of the most damaging mids in the game, probably in the top 3 midfield ball users in the league. We have guys that win the footy (titch, jaeger, worpel) what we don’t have is an elite ball user in the middle. The only reason I’d want cogs more is because he’s free, if they were both free agents I’d be taking Whitfield every day.

Obviously no one on this board has watched Lachie Whitfield this year, has played every game in the midfield, was actually gws’ best midfielder up until his injury. The guy is an absolute superstar, one of the most damaging mids in the game, probably in the top 3 midfield ball users in the league. We have guys that win the footy (titch, jaeger, worpel) what we don’t have is an elite ball user in the middle. The only reason I’d want cogs more is because he’s free, if they were both free agents I’d be taking Whitfield every day.

But you'd rather Whitfield play next year at GWS and potentially come as a FA next year and keep our 1st rounders

hang on , you can only trade next year's 1st ? (so we could trade 2019 1st and 2020 1st potentially - god i hope we don't)
So you can only trade out 1 future 1st rounder? I wasn’t sure about the ruling but if that is the case then if Whitfield becomes an option via trade then our 2021 1st / 2019 2nd & Smith wouldn’t be as bad as 2 of our own 1st rounders. We need to at least hit the draft this year if Coniglio doesn’t come.

Any decision to change tact and pursue Whitfield is dependent on whatever Coniglio invariably decides so until then as far as I’m concerned we’re still in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you'd rather Whitfield play next year at GWS and potentially come as a FA next year and keep our 1st rounders
I agree that it’s the smart play but what if he wants to come now? He might not want to wait another season and look towards another Victorian club. If Wrighty can get creative and not burn this years 1st to get a deal done then I wouldn’t be opposed (see my previous posts).

I agree that it’s the smart play but what if he wants to come now? He might not want to wait another season and look towards another Victorian club. If Wrighty can get creative and not burn this years 1st to get a deal done then I wouldn’t be opposed (see my previous posts).

Yeah you have a point here, but that would be extremely tough to do, considering GWS would get a 1st rounder as compensation and another seasons service if they didn't trade anyways.

Yes as you can't continuously pay huge amounts, at some point you have to strike gold in the Free Agency market.
The only thing is, we’ve set down a path of pushing hard for a premiership now, we destroyed any chance of a rebuild after the jaeger trade, if we go back to the draft and a youth strategy we go back to square one and the last 3 years have been a waste

Dependent on Coniglio decision I’m not totally opposed to us hitting the next 2-3 drafts. If becomes the case then this would be the season we should pull the plug early and play the kids before Tom comes back next year. This years pick needs to as close to that top 5 as possible so we can trade for Anderson.

The only thing is, we’ve set down a path of pushing hard for a premiership now, we destroyed any chance of a rebuild after the jaeger trade, if we go back to the draft and a youth strategy we go back to square one and the last 3 years have been a waste

I agree with that especially with the Wingard trade, but my view is under this strategy without striking gold in the FA market we were always going to be pushing s**t up hill. If we continue to trade the world for every A grade piece we get, I don't think we'll win a flag between 2020-2022 and I think our list will be in a world of hurt come the end of 2022.

This is not bashing Whitfield, who is a jet. But, structurally he isn't improving our side like Coniglio would. I don't believe we are in a position to pay a kings ransom, again, that would be required to get a talent like Whitfield.

Whitfield remains an outside player. He hasn't been playing as much midfield as indicated. He has moved to the wing and high half forward this year. He averages a touch over 2 clearances a game, and six of his 28 touches a game are contested.

Now, this isn't to slam him, he is a gun at what he does. Elite ball user, aerobic beast. However, this isn't a piece we need to be giving up so much for imo. We have significant gaps with our key position talent, and contested ball winners.

Coniglio is such a well rounded midfielder. Inside/outside, kicks goals, is defensively fantastic and is quicker than you realise. He just addresses exactly what our midfield needs to compliment Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel. He makes the pieces around him better. We will see the best of O'Meara when he is able to spread from the contest more, not as a contested 'beast' as you suggest man. Mitchell going down has destroyed his explosiveness as the season has progressed.

This may seem outrageous on face value, but Whitfield is not producing that much better than what Ricky Henderson is for us this year. Hendo is a fantastic kick also. I'm saying that to try and highlight the structural issue isn't an outside talent.

Last edited:
Hawthorn will not wait a year in the hope Whitfield comes as a free agent if we believe we can strike now. A year is a lifetime in footy and things change all the time.

We have a stack of players who are on big money and currently under performing. Clarko will not let that roll on and nor should he. You earn a few freebies when you win flags but that eventually drys up.

Get yourselves ready. Burton was the example last year and Rough so far this year just how ruthless we are prepared to be.

And this is how it should be - especially if Whitfield really wants to come to Hawthorn - he can come next year with a struggling midfield or he can come the year after with some young gun talent to complement him and Mitchell and O'Meara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back