Rumour Two current AFL stars have lost $1 million each on the punt

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a mate who’s a big gambler and for what it’s worth I think it’s a horrific addiction. There’s nothing like the gut-wrenching feeling of having lost the last month’s pay that you worked so hard for. And that happens to him all the time. Drinking is a bad addiction too, but it’s hard to spend all your money on it. With gambling you have a bookmaker in your pocket 24-7 now, and with two clicks you can lose it all.

Your mate needs to use his brain! If u don’t know how to win on the punt why do it??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Sportsbetting and Pokies are two different beasts. With education you can make money from sports betting. Pokies are nothing more than a lottery.

Plenty of people have lost massive coin on other investment type activities are we going to call for a ban on those too.

I would think sports betting is much harder to get addicted to than pokies. Pokies are designed to be addictive, with the flashy colours, the near misses etc etc. The same things that are happening in the games on your children's mobiles.

You might like to list the benefits that the gambling industry brings to the community and why should they receive the benefit of resources rather than farming, mining, manufacturing etc.

WTF you on about? I like to punt sometimes because it's fun. Not sure what that has to do with your farm.

As someone who sports bets so doesn't have a fully negative view of it - the 'education' required to be long term profitable is immense.

It's not enough to 'watch games' or be really knowledgeable about the sports.

The people setting the odds have 1) great knowledge 2) mathematical models that are close to impossible to beat and 3) connections.

It's a myth that you just need to research to beat them. I do fairly well, watch nearly every game I can etc, but over long term do nothing but break even.

I would think sports betting is much harder to get addicted to than pokies. Pokies are designed to be addictive, with the flashy colours, the near misses etc etc. The same things that are happening in the games on your children's mobiles.
It'd be pretty hard to take a poker machine home with you. As long as there's internet coverage people can bet anywhere

Sort of.

When you say 'up there with smoking/drug addiction' what do you mean? Affects as many people? Causes a similar level of damage?

Vic State Gov gets a ridiculous portion of their budget from pokies (from memory it was about 9% of the total VicGov revenue when I checked about 6 years ago - happy to be challenged on that). Considering every state department claims they're massively underfunded, taking a 9% haircut is going to receive a lot of push back. Yep, there is an ironic element of the government debt chasing.

The Vic government set up the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation. It is set up to serve the minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation. It's one of those interesting things where the minister that approves licenses for gaming venues also oversees the foundation that is designed to reduce the harm that those approved licenses contribute to. It makes sense, but also has an element of contradiction to it.

The gambling industry is so much more profitable than alcohol or tobacco. Like insurance, the thing they are selling is probability. The difference being that gambling addiction works on an individual psychology. It's an addiction to the feeling of anticipation more than it's an addiction to the feeling of winning.

Large anti-gambling campaigns do exist. Tim Costello, the World Vision guy ran a huge push called "don't let the pokies play you". The Southern Cross Station steps were covered in anti gambling advertising for a while - there have been efforts. But most of the big public health campaigns you've seen ( drink and drive bloody idiot, smoking shock ads) are from para-government bodies like TAC and VicHealth. The responsible gambling founding doesn't have anywhere near the same advertising budget as these guys and their message is "do it responsibly" rather than "this thing will **** you up and wreck your family" like the other two campaigns mentioned.
It’s not quite 9%.
Total state govt revenue last year was around $18bn, while pokie revenue was $2.6bn, of which the state gets about one third. More like about 5%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have had many addictions during my six years on this earth and gambling is the absolute worst in terms of breaking it and the damage it does to your mental health, relationships, career and obviously your financial situation. It can easily ruin your life and the life of those close to you. But that doesn't mean people who can do it responsibly shouldn't be able to. Obviously, for those who have an addictive personality or underlying issues the prevalence of advertising does not help. It wasn't around when I was young and I believe it is dangerous having children exposed to it. I believe it should be banned like cigarette advertising was and that there should be more restrictions around online gambling such have been mentioned in this forum.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know it's no longer legal for gambling ads to be broadcast in the ads between goals. I believe at the quarter/half time breaks they're still regulated, but just getting them off the goal breaks was a massive step.

When you have games where there might be anywhere from 5-12 goals kicked in a quarter, that's a lot of advertising. The more you see it the more it gets drummed into your head and you start to associate it more and more with watching the footy.

Carlton signed the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation's charter before the 2016 season.

The real reason* we don't kick many goals is because we were trying to limit gambling advertising :p

And because we are crap.

It’s not quite 9%.
Total state govt revenue last year was around $18bn, while pokie revenue was $2.6bn, of which the state gets about one third. More like about 5%
Yeah I doouble checked the source after posting - it was about 11% of Victoria's tax revenue - which obviously isn't the full state revenue pie.

I have had many addictions during my six years on this earth and gambling is the absolute worst in terms of breaking it and the damage it does to your mental health, relationships, career and obviously your financial situation. It can easily ruin your life and the life of those close to you. But that doesn't mean people who can do it responsibly shouldn't be able to. Obviously, for those who have an addictive personality or underlying issues the prevalence of advertising does not help. It wasn't around when I was young and I believe it is dangerous having children exposed to it. I believe it should be banned like cigarette advertising was and that there should be more restrictions around online gambling such have been mentioned in this forum.
:frowning: bit young to have gone through all of that i would of thought

They did it to smoking, not to alcohol. Personally, I’m happy to have all three perfectly legal but advertising banned. Advertising is inherently dishonest and is usually what takes a sin product and transform it from localised problem to social problem.

Agreed. They need to start attacking the advertising.

People are allowed to have their vices. I support that freedom. The makers of those vices making a tonne of money from those vices is inherently wrong if they damage society.

Mate told me a mate of his told him ages ago that he saw Beams on the punt at a horse meeting and was dropping $2,000 on the nose each race and losing all of them.

You might like to list the benefits that the gambling industry brings to the community and why should they receive the benefit of resources rather than farming, mining, manufacturing etc.

Major employers.

Anchor for various businesses - e.g. food and beverage.

Pays an absolute bomb of tax that funds government services.

Oh and not to mention it is a past time that has existed for generations that legal adults in a free society should be able to engage in. Just how much of our lives would the nanny state like to regulate?

Major employers.

Anchor for various businesses - e.g. food and beverage.

Pays an absolute bomb of tax that funds government services.

Oh and not to mention it is a past time that has existed for generations that legal adults in a free society should be able to engage in. Just how much of our lives would the nanny state like to regulate?

They inherently damage lives. But they share some of the money they reap, so all good.

Really?

Government must hate me - as I don’t gamble 😂😂
Or I am really weird person that doesn’t gamble at all !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back