Rumour AFL expansion

It is obvious from that chart that something drastic needs to be done with GWS and GC, both down to near VFL levels of support.
But we don't know what it is based on.

GWS figures are from a sample size of 6 games.
Gold Coast's figures are from a sample size of 7 games.

We don't know what year it was from or what span of games it was from.

If we were to use the average of the 5 other home games (China the major outlier here) that average would be around 28,780. Hawthorn's number surprised me.

If we were to use the average of the 5 other home games (China the major outlier here) that average would be around 28,780. Hawthorn's number surprised me.

would we get that much for a port game in melbourne?

hawthorn have a very soft underbelly. they go well when on top. when not it falls away further than us i reckon.

would we get that much for a port game in melbourne?

hawthorn have a very soft underbelly. they go well when on top. when not it falls away further than us i reckon.
Hard to say. Last time we played them in Melbourne was 2013 when we had bottomed out and we got 15,000 to that game. I'd say we should be able to get over 20,000 in Melbourne. Not 28, but more than 20.

You are probably spot on with Hawthorn.

Hard to say. Last time we played them in Melbourne was 2013 when we had bottomed out and we got 15,000 to that game. I'd say we should be able to get over 20,000 in Melbourne. Not 28, but more than 20.

You are probably spot on with Hawthorn.

we got less than 20k for our game vs north last year and slightly more than 20k for the game vs the dogs but it was a pretty bad year. plus port and us are both doing better.

i'd hope we could pull 25k, but gut feel says its around 22k.

we got less than 20k for our game vs north last year and slightly more than 20k for the game vs the dogs but it was a pretty bad year. plus port and us are both doing better.

i'd hope we could pull 25k, but gut feel says its around 22k.
I think so too

its coming!!!!

Tasmania looks certain to bid for a provisional AFL licence by the end of this year as one of a raft of recommendations that have emerged from the Hodgman Government-appointed task force.

In a significant step forward in the push for a stand-alone team, task force chairman Brett Godfrey told The Age that a provisional licence would demonstrate a degree of certainty to the state as it builds a strong business case for an AFL team with a potential 2025 entry into the national competition.

Riewoldt has emerged as a key mover within the taskforce and in the Tasmanian AFL bid. The recently retired St Kilda champion took part in Friday's task force talks and has been focusing on player retention.

Riewoldt, a native Tasmanian, has remained firm in his view that the potential 19th team could ultimately become a destination club. Brendon Bolton, who has temporarily retreated from the public eye since departing Carlton, is also working behind the scenes in the football development space.

Yeah no way the AFL let the media talk this much without it happening.

The real question is if they put a 3rd team in Perth or do the right thing and leave it a 19 team competition*.

19 teams. 18 games over 22ish rounds with each team having a couple of bye weeks.

Everyone plays once (9 home and 9 away) and reverse the fixture the following year.

Fairer fixture
More rest for the players.
Blockbusters actually mean something.

It's win-win-win all around.

*Yes, I know the AFL will put in 20 teams and play Thursday night every week to max attendance and TV exposure. Yes I will hate it. Yes I will keep watching just to pay attention to the players for my Ultimate Footy cash league team.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah no way the AFL let the media talk this much without it happening.

The real question is if they put a 3rd team in Perth or do the right thing and leave it a 19 team competition*.

19 teams. 18 games over 22ish rounds with each team having a couple of bye weeks.

Everyone plays once (9 home and 9 away) and reverse the fixture the following year.

Fairer fixture
More rest for the players.
Blockbusters actually mean something.

It's win-win-win all around.

*Yes, I know the AFL will put in 20 teams and play Thursday night every week to max attendance and TV exposure. Yes I will hate it. Yes I will keep watching just to pay attention to the players for my Ultimate Footy cash league team.

No idea why fans continually ask for the AFL to shorten the season. I think 22 games is fine. 18 games against everyone else, 4 against a rival or for the marquee match. Personally would love to see the season go a bit longer, 25 games perhaps. Have the AFL mandate each player on the team must be rested for 4 games throughout the year to make up for the extra games.

atlaser

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would be disasterous for poor/unsuccessful Melbourne clubs, and the 3rd WA side would be a flop. Tassie is never going to work.

Tassie has never been given an opportunity. Gold Coast has. Tasmania's turn.

I'm not particularly bothered if they require some support to stay operational. The AFL has dumped potentially nine figures into the Suns for a shocking record and some better auskick numbers. It's criminal that Tasmania continues to be shafted on the basis of being "unfeasible". St Kilda has been "unfeasible" for quite a while but we're still here.

I agree about expansion though. 18 sides is pushing it talent-wise. The hardest nut to crack is the fixture imo. Conferences are a non starter, 17 games isn't enough. 19 games with a state carnival would be nice but the talent isn't there for two more teams. Maybe it will be different in five years? All I'm sure of is that a competent and sensible administration would not have endorsed the debacle with Gold Coast and also Tasmania getting rooted by the hawks and north melbourne happening side by side for close to a decade. Unfortunately that is how the AFL is run though, so tasmanian footy will continue to bleed dry while Gillon and company look after their mates in gambling and so on

No idea why fans continually ask for the AFL to shorten the season. I think 22 games is fine. 18 games against everyone else, 4 against a rival or for the marquee match. Personally would love to see the season go a bit longer, 25 games perhaps. Have the AFL mandate each player on the team must be rested for 4 games throughout the year to make up for the extra games.

It's more for equality. Playing 22 games means you get some teams taking advantage of favorable double ups.

Playing GS, St Kilda, Melbourne or Carlton twice this year would be much better than copping Brisbane, Geelong, Collingwood or Richmond.

I know the AFL try to balance it all up but I think that 19 teams playing 18 games is a fair balance.

Every Vic team would have -

1 home v WA
1 home v SA
1 home v NSW
1 home v QLD
4 home VIC
1 home v Geelong/TAS

1 Perth trip
1 Adelaide trip
1 Sydney trip
1 Brisbane trip
4 Away VIC
1 Away Geelong/TAS

For Non Vic teams it would be (West Coast example)
1 home v SA team
1 home v NSW team
1 home v QLD team
5 home v VIC team
1 home v Geelong/TAS

1 'Away' Derby
1 Adelaide trip
1 Sydney trip
1 Brisbane trip
4 away VIC
1 away Geelong/TAS

Freo would get the opposite of this -
1 home Derby
1 home v SA team
1 home v NSW team
1 home v QLD team
4 home v VIC team
1 home v Geelong/TAS

1 Adelaide trip
1 Sydney trip
1 Brisbane trip
5 away VIC
1 Away Geelong/Tas

The flaw in this is that non vic teams have an extra game in Vic every 'even' year but this is balanced out by traveling for 1 less game in the 'odd' year. Im sure the AFL could allow the teams the opportunity to play the extra Vic game at the G, ensuring they get to face teams like Carlton or Hawthorn there instead of Marvel, and kill of the issue of non Vic teams getting exposure at the G also.

I'd think going into every season knowing you are getting 2 or 3 games at the G would be great, vs hoping to get even a single game there.

it's happening. there's far too much of a push happening now. it will be rubber stamped by the AFL as long as they can secure sponsorship.

Here come some more compromised drafts.
We’d better be a fair way up the ladder by then otherwise we’ll get punished again.

St Plugger

Senior List
Feb 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know I've been on this before, but a 16 a side comp would allow 2 more sides into the comp without increasing the numbers of players in the AFL. If one of those sides was playing [in Tasmania or St Kilda in Melb], it would benefit the club. Being a 16 a side comp, because of the reduction of player payments [as the list would be reduced],player payment would be less.

Last edited:
Back