Remove this Banner Ad

The Danes would be interesting, from memory it's pretty popular for Aussie ex pats.

They've probably got the easier group too. The top team in each group will go into the qualifier for the Qualifier. :drunk:

D5KJshyXkAEMg6R.jpg:large

Interesting alternate history involving Denmark.

The 1979 ICC Trophy counted as the qualifier for non-test nations to get into the World Cup that year. Denmark were the only team of the 15 to win all their qualifying games* but had a stinker in the semi, losing very, very badly to Sri Lanka in the semi. Sri Lanka had a 2-1 record in the group (one game abandoned), and only made it to the semis on net run rate, but after rolling Denmark they beat Canada in the final, and then in the CWC, finished ahead of India in their group, and within three years were a test nation.

So given that winning the semi would have been enough to qualify for the World Cup, what if Denmark beat Sri Lanka that day?

*Bermuda were also undefeated in their group, with one game abandoned.

Interesting alternate history involving Denmark.

The 1979 ICC Trophy counted as the qualifier for non-test nations to get into the World Cup that year. Denmark were the only team of the 15 to win all their qualifying games* but had a stinker in the semi, losing very, very badly to Sri Lanka in the semi. Sri Lanka had a 2-1 record in the group (one game abandoned), and only made it to the semis on net run rate, but after rolling Denmark they beat Canada in the final, and then in the CWC, finished ahead of India in their group, and within three years were a test nation.

So given that winning the semi would have been enough to qualify for the World Cup, what if Denmark beat Sri Lanka that day?

*Bermuda were also undefeated in their group, with one game abandoned.
I have no memory, haven't there been one or two Danes do alright in Country cricket - mostly in the 70s and 80s, so aorund that time you're talking about?

I have no memory, haven't there been one or two Danes do alright in Country cricket - mostly in the 70s and 80s, so aorund that time you're talking about?

Just the one who did well in that period, Ole Mortensen. He was a contemporary of two Dutch players though, Paul-Jan Bakker and Andre van Troost.

I believe Bakker is one of the players in this clip, though he would've been 15/16 at the time:

Andre van Troost's action can be seen in this clip:

Òle Mortensen was the first Dane in county cricket I believe, and he debuted in 1983. He did play in the 79 series, so he probably was invited to play after that.

It's been revealed that the reason for this was that ten of their players went on a shoplifting spree and were arrested.

https://www.emergingcricket.com/eve...ualify-for-first-world-cup-after-png-forfeit/
Such a shame. My mothers family is Papua New Guinean, and anecdotally there is sort of an attitude within PNG that people in developed nations are all well enough off to do without, so it's not that bad to steal or demand things from them (of course that generalization can't be widely applied, could also very well be just some lads being lads and doing stupid dares).

European Regional Final for the World T20 Qualifier started today, Guernsey hosting, and are joined by rivals Jersey, along with Germany (who have lost their two county players as the counties refused to release them), Italy (same boat with one of theirs), Denmark and Norway. Winner goes through to the WT20 Qualifier. Jersey's my pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today for the first time ever, an ODI will be taking place during the World Cup that is not part of the World Cup.

The Netherlands are hosting Zimbabwe for a 2 ODI, 2 T20I tour.
Leaving aside that both should be at the World Cup, hopefully the weather doesn't intervene as much. edit: Oh, just checked. Well, at least they started.

Wonder if Tom Cooper will have another crack playing for the Netherlands, given they'll be in the World Cup League and the Netherlands are guaranteed 24 matches in the next three years.

There's a few players in that category. T Cooper, ten Doeschate, Rippon, van der Gugten and van Beek are all otherwise occupied during this series.

There's a few players in that category. T Cooper, ten Doeschate, Rippon, van der Gugten and van Beek are all otherwise occupied during this series.
County Cricket?

Oh, Shane Snater is also on county duty. Incidentally, a full-strength Dutch side right now would take a bit of beating.

Rippon
B Cooper/O'Dowd/de Leede/Visee
T Cooper
Ackermann
ten Doeschate
Edwards/Barresi+
van der Merwe
Seelaar*
van der Gugten/van Beek
Klaassen/Snater
van Meekeren/Kingma
Do you reckon there's a chance some of the stronger sides who are expected to play 3 match series against the Netherlands (England, SA, NZ) will find a way to pull out of their series as part of the ODI Super League? I'll believe it when I see it that this Super League will actually go ahead as planned. Australia will be doing all they can to get out of their series with Zimbabwe and Afghanistan for example and will try to extend their series with India.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back