THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

honestly the part I donā€™t like about the hostel is the apparent focus on getting indigenous kids into mining and defence. High risk professions where you fight for a country that disrespects you, or that requires you to rip the s**t out of your ancestral home. Nice.

Indigenous kids not good enough for business and commerce like every white collar board member and admin in football and govt?

Yes and no.

Yes that a footy club is doing this.

No because Pauly V's background is in Aboriginal housing, so to help do his big vision from when he joined us in 2010, plus if we are going out bush and pushing the kids to stay at school and encourage them to get a trade, go to school, TAFE or Uni and the best chance to progress is to move to Adelaide for a few years, then having available and affordable accommodation in the city is fundamental. So linking that all up with a high performance environment, on the precinct, close to the people that delivered the initial programs to them to get them to move to the city, for extra support, makes a lot of sense.

Don't think of it as a youth hostel set up. It would be more like US college living on campus set up.
I think tribey was saying the wording was weird.

honestly the part I donā€™t like about the hostel is the apparent focus on getting indigenous kids into mining and defence. High risk professions where you fight for a country that disrespects you, or that requires you to rip the **** out of your ancestral home. Nice.

Indigenous kids not good enough for business and commerce like every white collar board member and admin in football and govt?
Perhaps because the Port is where these type of jobs will be and we have relationships with these organisations?

Perhaps because the Port is where these type of jobs will be and we have relationships with these organisations?
I definitely think its because those organisations love non-confrontational Instagrammables as much as Port do.

How about whats best for the kids though? How many private school kids are being pointed towards being soldiers or miners?

This was announced so long ago Iā€™ve forgotten what the benefits to the football club infrastructure are.

Museum? Lights? What else?

Yes and no.

No because Pauly V's background is in Aboriginal housing, so to help do his big vision from when he joined us in 2010, plus if we are going out bush and pushing the kids to stay at school and encourage them to get a trade, go to school, TAFE or Uni and the best chance to progress is to move to Adelaide for a few years, then having available and affordable accommodation in the city is fundamental. So linking that all up with a high performance environment, on the precinct, close to the people that delivered the initial programs to them to get them to move to the city, for extra support, makes a lot of sense.

Don't think of it as a youth hostel set up. It would be more like US college living on campus set up.
Part of me hopes there is some NGA loophole being exploited here.

honestly the part I donā€™t like about the hostel is the apparent focus on getting indigenous kids into mining and defence. High risk professions where you fight for a country that disrespects you, or that requires you to rip the **** out of your ancestral home. Nice.

And if they are not encouraged to look at all aspects of employment they are being discriminated against as some occupations are closed to them. We are all Australians and we should all be able to work in any industry we chose to. No one is saying indigenous youth must work in mining or defence but the doors must not be closed to them either.

Yes and no.

Yeah, Iā€™m saying that shouldnā€™t be something weā€™re involved in except as a logical satellite adjunct regarding footy and hosting luncheons and whathaveyou at the Port Club.

Yes and no.

That must go to the heart of any program. There is an Area School in the upper YP that provides at least breakfast for only indigenous kids, however there is no obligation or requirement they stay at school. While it is hoped they stay, nothing is done if they don't. It's a difficult situation as schools quite rightly are unable to stop kids from utilising the breakfast and not the education.

About three years ago I emailed the PAFC re the above and suggested it may be an opportunity for Paul V to visit but I didn't receive a reply. Then again, if the school or Education Dept aren't interested there's nothing the Club can do.

Nah, I think the whole concept is well outside the pursuits of an AFL footy club.
Traditionally, sure, but I don't see why that can't change. If we're not taking money away from the footy department to fund our PCL ventures (which I've been told we aren't) then I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I do think that in an ideal world, we'd be in a more stable financial position before pursuing such ventures however.

Traditionally, sure, but I don't see why that can't change. If we're not taking money away from the footy department to fund our PCL ventures (which I've been told we aren't) then I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I do think that in an ideal world, we'd be in a more stable financial position before pursuing such ventures however.
Amateur footy clubs lobby to build community centres/libraries to get their 1950ā€™s club rooms upgraded all the time. But we arenā€™t an amateur club, we arenā€™t getting this fully funded and Iā€™m not seeing much of an increase in football program assets.

Yeah, itā€™s a noble endeavor but ******* premierships thanks.

*In an alternate universe where weā€™ve had any degree of success in the last 15 years and I was convinced the club was focused on the football program then Iā€™m 100% behind this.

And this is why we shouldn't go there. I find a lot of the clubs work is nothing but separating based on skin colour but with good intention's but with the opposite to the intended outcome.

I'd love you to explain to me how we would treat a aboriginal kid that's lived the same lives as us completely normal doing whatever no issues and is then drafted into our club by the AFL. I find it hard to believe he's not going to get peer pressure to nek minute identify by his skin colour first instead of the complete integration he's lived the entirety of his life. Telling someone who'se not a victim day one and ingraining it into them that they must be is not right. I understand the rest of the work out bush and I don't think anyone argues about going up there and seeing if a visit from the stars can get them on track but it's now an industry within an industry. A 50 bed hostel is just bizarre for what is supposed to be a football club, the entire plan is infact just like we want to be a government agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll add the fact that we are appearing to be willing to take on 6million in private debt for it is just outright nuts too.
I'm worried about this clubs future.

.... How about whats best for the kids though? How many private school kids are being pointed towards being soldiers or miners?
I get your point but the defence jobs around the Port are more about building warships than actually killing people. So a blue collar focus like the jobs they'd be targeting in the mining sector.

Private school kids don't become soldiers, they become officers.

Donā€™t get me wrong, iā€™d be all for a concerted live-in boarding academy similar to what the European soccer giants have.

But we donā€™t have fully-integrated youth teams in the AFL, thereā€™s not really a proper need for it over and above the existing billeting system and all the extra-curricular stuff is well outside the purview of a financially insecure professional footy club.

And this is why we shouldn't go there. I find a lot of the clubs work is nothing but separating based on skin colour but with good intention's but with the opposite to the intended outcome.

I'd love you to explain to me how we would treat a aboriginal kid that's lived the same lives as us completely normal doing whatever no issues and is then drafted into our club by the AFL. I find it hard to believe he's not going to get peer pressure to nek minute identify by his skin colour first instead of the complete integration he's lived the entirety of his life. Telling someone who'se not a victim day one and ingraining it into them that they must be is not right. I understand the rest of the work out bush and I don't think anyone argues about going up there and seeing if a visit from the stars can get them on track but it's now an industry within an industry. A 50 bed hostel is just bizarre for what is supposed to be a football club, the entire plan is infact just like we want to be a government agency.

I'd encourage you to speak to anyone who has had the opportunity to be involved in our indigenous programs.

It is everything BUT ingraining a victim mentality.

This hostel thing feels tenuous to me but, if this is something that Pauly V sees as part of what he's built within our club, then it's got some bigger benefit than just what it appears from the outside.

I'm happy to cane the club on various issues, but on this I'll give them some benefit of the doubt.

I'm happy to cane the club on various issues, but on this I'll give them some benefit of the doubt.

I donā€™t know. As with everything else it seems like a noble goal that doesnā€™t really benefit the club in a tangible way which justifies the financial/strategic risk, especially if the claims of pressing ahead regardless of government funding shortfalls isnā€™t merely bluff.

Harvesting good vibes and being a good corporate citizen and all that is cool, but this would be unprecedented diversification.

I'd encourage you to speak to anyone who has had the opportunity to be involved in our indigenous programs.

It is everything BUT ingraining a victim mentality.

This hostel thing feels tenuous to me but, if this is something that Pauly V sees as part of what he's built within our club, then it's got some bigger benefit than just what it appears from the outside.

As I said I don't have an issue with running programs for the kids out in the sticks, a visit from their AFL stars could change their lives if they see a pathway or get encouraged. I don't think anyone else does, same with all the work we do with the local poor kids or disabled people etc.

I do have an issue with separating people by race within our playing group where it seems there's no choice, I also find the entire push to turn our clubrooms into a shared quasi government welfare agency bizarre for a football club and even more so this strident push to use private equity when we aren't generating enough cash to even pay off our current huge debt. I understand the logic behind Power Community would be to drive sponsorship and revenue to attract companies on board, if at this point it's clearly not attracting the huge cash tripling down on an area that already is heavily targeted for NGO's and company sponsorships seems even more insane.

I do have an issue with separating people by race within our playing group where it seems there's no choice,

What do you mean by this?

Unless you know something that I don't, this does not happen and nothing being proposed makes this more likely to happen.

You know that it's not only indigenous players that are a part of the programs we do, don't you?

I donā€™t know. As with everything else it seems like a noble goal that doesnā€™t really benefit the club in a tangible way which justifies the financial/strategic risk, especially if the claims of pressing ahead regardless of government funding shortfalls isnā€™t merely bluff.

Harvesting good vibes and being a good corporate citizen and all that is cool, but this would be unprecedented diversification.

My hunch is the fact that they are pressing ahead means that it's a crucial strategic activity for a longer term goal, or a requirement on another aspect of our
Hard to say either way, but it's clearly something they see as important. (on the surface)

Of course, this does not discount the cynical view that it's a fluff piece based on an ill-formed idea, with no likelihood of coming to fruition, devised by a PR person to deflect from A) the failing of the project, B) the current form of the team, and/or C) upcoming bad news re guernseys/sponsors/finances.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but they don't have much credit left in the account with me, even wth the indigenous programs.

What do you mean by this?

Unless you know something that I don't, this does not happen and nothing being proposed makes this more likely to happen.

You know that it's not only indigenous players that are a part of the programs we do, don't you?

Do you think a player who has some indigenous heritage could join our club right now and not be in the indigenous group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back