THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My hunch is the fact that they are pressing ahead means that it's a crucial strategic activity for a longer term goal, or a requirement on another aspect of our
Hard to say either way, but it's clearly something they see as important. (on the surface)

Of course, this does not discount the cynical view that it's a fluff piece based on an ill-formed idea, with no likelihood of coming to fruition, devised by a PR person to deflect from A) the failing of the project, B) the current form of the team, and/or C) upcoming bad news re guernseys/sponsors/finances.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but they don't have much credit left in the account with me, even wth the indigenous programs.

I think the intended payoffs clear but I think it's become clear now that we won't get the sponsorship thrown at us for it or if we do to the large amounts envisaged.

Whilst I'm on my high horse I also think Food Bank should get turfed. It's just a charity scam, we used them and they used us but we can move on from them.

Do you think a player who has some indigenous heritage could join our club right now and not be in the indigenous group?

Absolutely, if that was their choice.

I'll add the fact that we are appearing to be willing to take on 6million in private debt for it is just outright nuts too.
When and where did we say, or indicate, that we would take on $6 million debt to build the whole $18m project?

As I said earlier, I have no problem if we can use some of the $4m from the feds and go and borrow a bit of money and build stage 1 of 2 stages, which is just the 2 story building to house our community programs in, we are running out of space in the Alan Scott building, so staff are on one level and the bottom level is an open space for multi use purposes.

No way should we go borrowing any large amounts of money to build the accommodation centre.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m saying that shouldn’t be something we’re involved in except as a logical satellite adjunct regarding footy and hosting luncheons and whathaveyou at the Port Club.
If you have been reading Lockhart Road's docudrama, you would see that a sizable community project was one way of hooking in China State Net (as he calls them), as part of contributing to a grander redevelopment of all aspects of the Alberton precinct. The ACE was the big hook to catch the big fish.

That's why we developed the idea, and have hung onto it. But we need a replacement for China State Net, if the Beijing-Canberra political spat means they can't commit in a reasonable time frame, or we need a number of corporates who in total, add up to China State Net's original contribution towards the ACE for this to progress.

If you have been reading Lockhart Road's docudrama, you would see that a sizable community project was one way of hooking in China State Net (as he calls them), as part of contributing to a grander redevelopment of all aspects of the Alberton precinct. The ACE was the big hook to catch the big fish.

That's why we developed the idea, and have hung onto it. But we need a replacement for China State Net, if the Beijing-Canberra political spat means they can't commit in a reasonable time frame, or we need a number of corporates who in total, add up to China State Net's original contribution towards the ACE for this to progress.
The ‘China State Net’ project / possibility still has a pulse. It’s the individuals paid by the Club who don’t.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No one would be saying anything bad about our "community projects" if we were winning premierships.

The fact that we are perennially s**t and our coach is a dud means everyone jumps on the community stuff as a big distraction to the important stuff.. you know.. like winning premierships?

Anyway i thought the clubs focus is "we exist to try and make the finals but its a tough competition and so are all the other teams" these days

No one would be saying anything bad about our "community projects" if we were winning premierships.

The fact that we are perennially **** and our coach is a dud means everyone jumps on the community stuff as a big distraction to the important stuff.. you know.. like winning premierships?

Anyway i thought the clubs focus is "we exist to try and make the finals but its a tough competition and so are all the other teams" these days
No one is criticizing the existing community projects eg Power Cup, stuff with students, stuff with defence forces.

It is the building of a 50 person accommodation facility that people are questioning because its a massive undertaking and is a long way from core business.

No one is criticizing the existing community projects eg Power Cup, stuff with students, stuff with defence forces.

It is the building of a 50 person accommodation facility that people are questioning because its a massive undertaking and is a long way from core business.
It is indeed a massive undertaking when factored into the full Alberton Oval Precinct Redevelopment, and yes it’s a long way from core business.

But it has always been do-able ... and the selling of the project is - was - designed to bring in not only complete interest-free funding but continuous partnership / sponsorship via such entities as ‘EGSA’ et al.

It is the CEO’s pet personal legacy project, and he needs to explain himself to members and supporters ... having pulled the plug on securing pledged interest-free funding from ‘China State Net’ after hitting a road block and closing his ears to advice on how to persist. He likes to call himself ‘nothing if not resilient’.

Prove it, KT.

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
Incredibly smart person. I love this appointment
smart ..to do what??

sign players - ditch coaches??

We already knew Holly was stepping down, didn't we?

She's off to the US to expand her growth potential, or something.
Might be 2 then. If so good. I have said we have to transition out the board over 3 or 4 years. If George (gone) Holly and another go by February next year, then another 3 or 4 in 12 months after that should be the aim.

Rigs

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone know who yet? Article from The Mercury but paywall.
View attachment 702117
SHIFTING THE POSTS
Sam Newman describes himself as a “fossil”. The Geelong hero has rallied against constant rule changes in Australian football more than most.

But Newman is prepared to endorse one rule change to spare us from any more debate on the workings of AFL score reviews.

Newman has declared: “I think it’s about time the AFL changed the rule that if the ball goes through the goals — the two major posts — for any reason, it’s a goal. Why not?”

Australian football has been here before. There were the trials during the pre-season series for any kick — even those coming off the posts — being recorded as goals if they crossed the goal-line or “play on” if they bounced off the post to return to the playing field.

Rucci:

TIP OF THE WEEK
Expect a change to the Port Adelaide Football Club board as one director moves on to a major South Australian project. This could allow Jack Oatey Medallist and club Hall of Famer GEORGE FIACCHI to return to the boardroom at Alberton after losing his seat in a members’ vote in January when Brownlow Medallist Gavin Wanganeen was favoured by the faithful.

Rucci:

TIP OF THE WEEK
Expect a change to the Port Adelaide Football Club board as one director moves on to a major South Australian project. This could allow Jack Oatey Medallist and club Hall of Famer GEORGE FIACCHI to return to the boardroom at Alberton after losing his seat in a members’ vote in January when Brownlow Medallist Gavin Wanganeen was favoured by the faithful.
Hmm, doubtful it is our Collingwood board member then.

Back