AFL Autopsy Rd 14, 2019: 35 point loss to The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Oh well. At least we avoided a total blowout.

The umpire assistance the Eagles get in Perth is one of the biggest rorts in professional sports.

Wow.

8 goals to none!!!!

Who saw that coming?????

What a game. Go dons!

Try not to waste a season, we need to keep pumping games into some of the younger players. Laverde and Begley looked to show something as forwards. McGrath, Parish and Clarke look good in the middle. The backline were under fire today, but have been much improved this year. Redman never gave up.

We were locked in our backline today and couldn't get any transition, * knows we had enough kick-outs to practice with. We also struggled to keep the ball in our forwardline. That surely needs to be a focus for the coaches this week.

Well at least our percentage remains relatively intact. A 35 point loss has probably never looked better. Learned enough about the side without the big blowout.

Laverde, Begley, Parish, Hooker and Merrett were good. Clarke gets to keep his spot. Hope Guelfi is ok.

Awful game outside of that. Watch everyone tag Saad and McKenna now.

One of the biggest positives for me was the way our younger players worked into the game despite the older heads flailing away

Dylan Clarke’s confidence grew as the game went on and despite the kicking f technique I thought didn’t make a single bad decision with his ball use, praying Woosha keeps the faith because I think we have only scratched the surface with him as an AFL standard player.

Last year win over the odds.
Miss the 8.
This year lose with the odds.
Make the 8?

I know which one I prefer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked the work of Redman, Parish, Laverde, Begley, Clarke, Merrett. A lot to work with.

Negatives:
Hepp’s disposal is awful but tries his heart out
McKernan (horrendous game) and Langford giving away 9 free kicks between them, unacceptable
Zacka just about done, Has shown little accountability for the best part of 10 years yet we try to turn him into a defender which was never going to end well

Defence drank it's own bath water through the week and puked all over itself tonight.

We were very lucky to not lose by 80-90 we were that putrid

Defensive spread from the middle is still terrible. Back line given no chance in the second and third. Their midfielders had so much time on the ball. They made really calm and good decisions to get their players out into space while we panicked under perceived pressure even when we had time and loose players.

Well I'm just happy I got to watch Australia bat well at the same time as view that game in split screen. Absolutely smashed and lucky just a 35 point margin. Redman, Laverde, Merrett, Hooker and Ambrose can hold their heads high.

Plenty of time to prove me wrong but getting worried Shiel goes missing when it gets tough too often.

same issues as always.
Bad skills.
Bad decision making.
Bad umpiring (surprise surpirse in perth)
Coach wont make a move.

We cannot control the idiot umpires, but we can control the other 3. Yet we dont seem to make any small, let alone significent improvements in these deficiencies.

So the result not really a surprise i guess.

Lucky we have GWS next week after they are nice and rested after a bye, and we after a trip to perth...
Way to schedule AFL....

We didnt win but we stuck to our gameplan well...

• Kicked long to outnumbered contests
  • Went to the boundary out of defence almost all the time
  • Didnt set up behind the ball
  • Let Eagles stream through contests unchecked
  • Let McGovern have his way
  • Took to long to move Ambrose onto Kennedy
  • When we got it at half forward we stopped and let them get numbers back
  • Turned it over when going backwards
  • Gave up tons of space on the wing
The only thing we didnt do well was kick innacurately

Perfection.

Remove this Banner Ad