AFL Autopsy Rd 14, 2019: 35 point loss to The West Coast

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
27 touch 15 mark game to Hooker. Begley, Lav and Redmen all went ok. Nice for those young blokes to travel and have a decent game. Guelf a shame.

Did not get much from our 2 attacking backs in Saad and McKenna and got nothing much from our 2 classy smalls up forward. Oh well.
Thought Redman had a stinker

I thought Mckernan was pretty ok.

Nah. Looked disinterested after losing a few contests early on. Ran under the ball a hell of a lot. He didn't get a lot of help, but he had a stinker.

Dons4days

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
Midfield did not work hard enough today. More defensive running & higher intensity. They’re all happy when they have the ball but a lot seem to avoid cracking in when we’re not in possession. We won’t go anywhere until this becomes instinct for our mids.

It’s hard to place too much blame on our forwards & defenders but it’s fair to say just about everyone of our players was comprehensively beaten tonight. We have a long way to go.

Bloody odd game. All things considered I don’t think we were that bad, certainly not ‘concede 36 scoring shots’ bad. Eagles completely bossed it bar the first 5 minutes but never really settled into their preferred pattern of play.

Them shutting down our run from the back half was as much good luck as it was good management, the ball along with about 35 blokes was camped in our back half for so long there was just no space to run anywhere.

Meh

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Bruise free win for West Coast at home. Without Smith this midfield is pretty soft.

I wouldn't describe this group as fragile but they are mostly unconvincing for mine.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
We just needed someone who could mark our desperate clearing balls off the halfback line. Very hard to set up anything when it comes straight back into the 50 every time
Stringer wouldve been huge. We are missing Daniher too

Dons4days

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
Nah. Looked disinterested after losing a few contests early on. Ran under the ball a hell of a lot. He didn't get a lot of help, but he had a stinker.

I noticed that. He seemed to run under every ball tonight. A lot of the kicks weren’t great but he misread pretty much all of them tonight.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
We just needed someone who could mark our desperate clearing balls off the halfback line. Very hard to set up anything when it comes straight back into the 50 every time
Stringer wouldve been huge. We are missing Daniher too
Stringer wouldnt have made a difference

Back