Dom Sheed 'on the verge of greatness'

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
His work in traffic was top class tonight.

He’s also a much better speaker than I thought, was good quality on the Backchat podcast this week. Seems like a top bloke.
Yep, already a club legend with that GF goal!
I actually had him for Normy that game, so unlucky!

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So far in 2019, Sheed is the only player averaging 28 touches and a goal per game.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
No tim kelly on that list . Pfft throw geelong a 2nd and nelson for him
You can have Nelson, lol.

To be fair, Kelly is recording very high clearances (5th in the AFL), meters gained, tackles and has had more scoring shots. When you look at all the metrics, it would put Kelly around the Top 5 Mids in the league. Plus he looks flashier.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
You can have Nelson, lol.

To be fair, Kelly is recording very high clearances (5th in the AFL), meters gained, tackles and has had more scoring shots. When you look at all the metrics, it would put Kelly around the Top 5 Mids in the league. Plus he looks flashier.

Kelly is a talent without a doubt. But in an utterly accurate side (Geelong so far in 2019) you surely cant be marking his worth higher because he's had more scoring shots than Sheed!? Sheed is more accurate and has kicked goals more often. That's where the comparison ends.

As for being flashy, do you get extra points for that? It's a bit like picking between a Toyota and a Ferrari. Both will perform equally in getting to the shops, and that's the goal. Looking more stylish on your way to the shops doesn't net you anything. This is a game of 4 points at a time. I'd be happy with TK on the list but just as happy to pick up a less flashy mid on less coin who plays good footy (a Sheed type).

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Kelly is a talent without a doubt. But in an utterly accurate side (Geelong so far in 2019) you surely cant be marking his worth higher because he's had more scoring shots than Sheed!? Sheed is more accurate and has kicked goals more often. That's where the comparison ends.

As for being flashy, do you get extra points for that? It's a bit like picking between a Toyota and a Ferrari. Both will perform equally in getting to the shops, and that's the goal. Looking more stylish on your way to the shops doesn't net you anything. This is a game of 4 points at a time. I'd be happy with TK on the list but just as happy to pick up a less flashy mid on less coin who plays good footy (a Sheed type).
Yeah, I'm not trying to downplay Sheed, after all I backed him for Brownlow at the start of the year ;)

Just think Kelly is having a slightly better year, just by a Cat's whisker... pardon the pun

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I'm not trying to downplay Sheed, after all I backed him for Brownlow at the start of the year ;)

Just think Kelly is having a slightly better year, just by a Cat's whisker... pardon the pun

If Kelly never made it to Victoria and churned out these performances for WCE he'd be as highly rated as Shuey has been for years and as Dom is now (ie very highly internally, and not widely lauded in National media).

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
So much more damaging than Gaff though, both by hand and off his left.
Plus he is extraordinary around the stoppages. Just seems to have a sixth sense as to what is happening around him.
Pendleburyesque in his ability to have that extra bit of time to think about and execute.

If he works on his tackling which is currently below average he will become elite.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Would sheed be worth 2 first rounders ? One a top 10 pick ?
Hard to say, he wouldn't come cheap that's for sure especially as he is contracted. Probably a late first rounder and a second rounder is his market value, but given contracted it would bump him higher. But its irrelevant, as he would never leave WCE being a local lad.

After looking at the stats of the premium mids, the area for improvement for Sheed would be his tackle count and pressure acts. But if you have others in the team that can do more of that, then he's very good at play-making and other areas of his game.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard to say, he wouldn't come cheap that's for sure especially as he is contracted. Probably a late first rounder and a second rounder is his market value, but given contracted it would bump him higher. But its irrelevant, as he would never leave WCE being a local lad.

After looking at the stats of the premium mids, the area for improvement for Sheed would be his tackle count and pressure acts. But if you have others in the team that can do more of that, then he's very good at play-making and other areas of his game.
I honestly dont think their is much difference between sheed and kelly on output this season . The only differences is time on ball which sheed doesnt get a lot , the output of players around them as kelly is the standout at geelong with danger/selwood having down seasons / different roles and we have had a very even spread of our top end mids contributions and media attention for Kelly being a story .
Sheed is having a blinder of a season but even billings is getting more attention in the vic centric media

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I honestly dont think their is much difference between sheed and kelly on output this season . The only differences is time on ball which sheed doesnt get a lot , the output of players around them as kelly is the standout at geelong with danger/selwood having down seasons / different roles and we have had a very even spread of our top end mids contributions and media attention for Kelly being a story .
Sheed is having a blinder of a season but even billings is getting more attention in the vic centric media
Yeah, I think with Billings the media is a bit on him because he recently signed a contract extension. This usually raises their profile in the media, but yeah, I kinda agree that the media can be a bit Vic-centric at times.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I think with Billings the media is a bit on him because he recently signed a contract extension. This usually raises their profile in the media, but yeah, I kinda agree that the media can be a bit Vic-centric at times.
So you think the vic centric media has driven up kelly's price ?
Someone in the media called for pick 1 and a top 10 pick ffs .

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So you think the vic centric media has driven up kelly's price ?
Someone in the media called for pick 1 and a top 10 pick ffs .
Nah, not really. No chance we'll get pick 1 and another top 10 pick. I think two first rounders (whether they are late ones) is likely, and it might even involve a late pick back (you know, like a 3rd or early 4th rounder or something). He is out of contract at end of year. I think that's realistic and what we will ask.

I've been analysing the holistic stats of all the top performing mids this season, and I have him now ranked 1 in the league for Brownlow betting. This obviously considers a few metrics like games won, metres gained, tackles and others that I think are key for the Brownlow medal, but not necessarily what the Umpires look at.

Back