Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:

Heā€™s probably a player I rate less than other Essendon fans. Heā€™s had a good month prior to last night, but he shouldnā€™t be making the mistakes he makes at this stage of his career. Loses too many defensive contests to be in the top end of the competition.

We need him to reach his AA heights by winning more defensive contests and making better decisions when kicking in our defensive half. Could learn a lot from Ambrose and Hooker.

Also, be more desperate on the goal line!!!

Considering the amount of time it spent in our defence (and it was there forever), not mention how it was coming in, he and the rest of our defence were always in for a massive night. For mine, whilst he didn't have a great game he certainly didn't let himself down.

Kennedy was just excellent last night. His jump at the ball, ability to mark in packs and speed are very hard to counter. A very smart forward and perhaps underrated by a few in here.

Considering the amount of time it spent in our defence (and it was there forever), not mention how it was coming in, he and the rest of our defence were always in for a massive night. For mine, whilst he didn't have a great game he certainly didn't let himself down.

Kennedy was just excellent last night. His jump at the ball, ability to mark in packs and speed are very hard to counter. A very smart forward and perhaps underrated by a few in here.
He was noticeably much quieter as soon as Ambrose went to him though.

Kennedy's supply doesn't excuse Hurley for being all at sea against him.

Was shithouse last night.

His brain fade on the goal line two weeks in a row is un ******* forgivable. It was in the first quarter and we were actually pretty competitive at that stage and to let a shitty goal go through is just a complete letdown.

Instead of going into quarter time with a few goal lead and putting scoreboard pressure we continue to cough up schoolboy s**t form our senior leaders.

Every week, same s**t.

His brain fade on the goal line two weeks in a row is un ******* forgivable. It was in the first quarter and we were actually pretty competitive at that stage and to let a ****ty goal go through is just a complete letdown.

Instead of going into quarter time with a few goal lead and putting scoreboard pressure we continue to cough up schoolboy **** form our senior leaders.

Every week, same ****.

Big deal. Will be a 3x All Australian end of the year. Weā€™d be in a world of trouble without him.

Big deal. Will be a 3x All Australian end of the year. Weā€™d be in a world of trouble without him.
Kelvin decided Hurley was surplus to requirements (I know, right?) last year, and so you will only ever see him pop up with digs at him from now on, just accept it for what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad match up - Kennedy has Hurley for height, reach and spring. Factor in the supply he was getting and Hurls was on a hiding to nothing.

He is much more effective on DeGoey types than the real gorillas like Kennedy or Hawkins.

Geez people are harsh on Hurley after 1 bad game. Yes he did get well beaten on the night but firstly he was up against an absolute gun in Kennedy who is probably only behind Franklin as the best forward of the last decade. Secondly our whole side was getting well beaten and the delivery into Kennedy was very good plus Kennedy was in rare marking touch. Yes Hurley had a shocker as well but in fairness to him he's been excellent the last 4-5 games with at least 2-3 games in our best 5 players.

I also don't understand getting angry at players missing balls that bounce through on the goal line. Its not like they do it on purpose or just aren't trying. Sometimes the ball just takes a surprising bounce. Its really the least of our issues. The real problem is why the hell is ball going in our inside 50 so many times to begin with.

Needs a stint in the 2s. I know I will cop crap for this however. He cannot mark, he cannot kick, he cannot tackle, he cannot run, he cannot for god sakes put his arms up to man the mark whilst opposition is shooting for goal. He lacks desperation on the goal line and shys away from all contact altogether. His performance is glossed over by cheap uncontested 98/111 marks and sideways kicks. All he is good for is booting the ball as far as possible and making it somebody elseā€™s problem. Not to mention 6 tackles for the year. We gave him an overpriced long term deal and this is the end result. Rant over.

Attachments

• A9143DB4-A330-42C7-A5D8-97C88173EC4A.png
    A9143DB4-A330-42C7-A5D8-97C88173EC4A.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 224
  • A4345C78-0F8C-4ED9-9C22-98A274782EF0.png
    A4345C78-0F8C-4ED9-9C22-98A274782EF0.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 224
  • C85C75C5-626D-49FD-86EF-9650F04C9D0B.png
    C85C75C5-626D-49FD-86EF-9650F04C9D0B.png
    148 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Nah. I doubt it. You canā€™t objectively say he is the best player in the competition in his position. Saad the only one in contention for a spot.

I suppose nothingā€™s a cert but heā€™d one of the best three tall defenders? Big chance surely.

I suppose nothingā€™s a cert but heā€™d one of the best three tall defenders? Big chance surely.
I think all of Andrews, Moore, Weitering, Keath, and Blicavs have been better than him.

I think all of Andrews, Moore, Weitering, Keath, and Blicavs have been better than him.

Well ahead of Weitering and Keathā€™s last month has put him behind. Very close to the others. In fact Hookerā€™s been better than most of them.

lol. All Australian. He's been pretty average all year apart from about 2-3 games. If that qualifies as AA then * me.

We ALREADY are in a world of trouble with him in the side apparently playing AA football. The comedy keeps on giving. If you want to see our defence fall apart just move Hooker out of there and watch how everyone is all at sea when the high ball comes in.

Do people really think he's been playing AA football. Whats next? Zaharakis to make the squad of 40? Langford as a potential high half forward. According to Dodo.. McNeice has been playing really well so is he a sneaky chance for back pocket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back