The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand being attached to that idea but the trade now means we have $31mil open to spend on free agents or for trade flexibility. That's a much bigger deal.
I get the money part if we've got plans of bringing in a worthwhile FA who can make an immediate impact. The drafting of Hayes was staggering and especially given we drafted another centre.

Williamson and Hunter would have set us up enormously.

I get the money part if we've got plans of bringing in a worthwhile FA who can make an immediate impact. The drafting of Hayes was staggering and especially given we drafted another centre.

Pretty sure we see Zion as a four, not a five.

Not surprised we targeted a big. Would have preferred Myles Turner, but Indy would be silly to trade him. Seems consensus that we took the best 'traditional' big in the draft.

What we really need now is shooting. A lot of shooting.

Pretty sure we see Zion as a four, not a five.

Not surprised we targeted a big. Would have preferred Myles Turner, but Indy would be silly to trade him. Seems consensus that we took the best 'traditional' big in the draft.

What we really need now is shooting. A lot of shooting.
Zion's a 4 but we drafted another centre and already have 2 more on our roster. Anyway we'll see what happens but I think Hayes is a waste of a good pick.

Zion's a 4 but we drafted another centre and already have 2 more on our roster. Anyway we'll see what happens but I think Hayes is a waste of a good pick.

I dunno whether Diallo or Okafor will ever amount to anything more than serviceable reserves. Neither really offers rim protection either. I know Zion offers above average rim protection for a four, but with the way teams play with four out these days there's a good chance he'll spend at least as much time on the perimeter as in the paint on defence.

The other thing is between Jrue, Ingram, & Hart we're relatively well stocked at the wing, especially defensively. We needed (need) extra shooting, which explains taking two guards at #17 and #35.

The good news is that we've got plenty of cap space and future assets in order the flesh out the roster further.

I dunno whether Diallo or Okafor will ever amount to anything more than serviceable reserves. Neither really offers rim protection either. I know Zion offers above average rim protection for a four, but with the way teams play with four out these days there's a good chance he'll spend at least as much time on the perimeter as in the paint on defence.

The other thing is between Jrue, Ingram, & Hart we're relatively well stocked at the wing, especially defensively. We needed (need) extra shooting, which explains taking two guards at #17 and #35.

The good news is that we've got plenty of cap space and future assets in order the flesh out the roster further.
That's Hayes' one positive in that he offers rim protection. On Okafor, I think he'll become more than serviceable and I quite like him as a player.

I'm bullish on Frank Jackson and I'm bullish on Alexander-Walker. I think the latter was a really good choice at pick 17.

I guess I can't get the chance to draft Hunter out of my head. It's hard to argue with you though when looking at the following;

Anthony Davis has turned into:

- Lonzo Ball
- Brandon Ingram
- Josh Hart
- No. 8 pick in 19
- No. 17 pick in 19
- No. 35 pick in 19
- L.A.' 21 pick if top 8
- L.A.' 22 pick if not
- L.A. swap in 23
- L.A.' 1st in either 24 or 25

And got rid of Solomon Hill's contract.

We're building quite a good roster for the future.

Last edited:
Pelicans made out like bandits over the last week. Looking forward to seeing the young core get out there, even if they'll challenge my Nuggets. It's about time some other teams get a run going.

That's Hayes' one positive in that he offers rim protection. On Okafor, I think he'll become more than serviceable and I quite like him as a player.

I'm bullish on Frank Jackson and I'm bullish on Alexander-Walker. I think the latter was a really good choice at pick 17.

I guess I can't get the chance to draft Hunter out of my head. It's hard to argue with you though when looking at the following;

Anthony Davis has turned into:

- Lonzo Ball
- Brandon Ingram
- Josh Hart
- No. 8 pick in 19
- No. 17 pick in 19
- No. 35 pick in 19
- L.A.' 21 pick if top 8
- L.A.' 22 pick if not
- L.A. swap in 23
- L.A.' 1st in either 24 or 25

And got rid of Solomon Hill's contract.

We're building quite a good roster for the future.

Reckon pelicans won the trade

I dont watch a whole lot of college ball, but didn't he shoot above 70%? I'll have to take your word for it. Looks athletic and defends hard from what I've seen.
I'm talking jump shot. He doesn't take any because he has no range. His points come from put backs, dunks and lay-ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess I can't get the chance to draft Hunter out of my head.

The irony is that he would have been the perfect fit for our 2012-2018 AD era.

For better or worse I think we're married to Ingram now though, which means that Hunter/Culver/Reddish were always unlikely picks for us.

I'm talking jump shot. He doesn't take any because he has no range. His points come from put backs, dunks and lay-ups.

I've only seen the bare minimum highlights, but the reports are that he is a good roll man - ie good hands, finishes well in traffic.

He does lack the outside shot, but from what's being said he's no Asik either.

The irony is that he would have been the perfect fit for our 2012-2018 AD era.

For better or worse I think we're married to Ingram now though, which means that Hunter/Culver/Reddish were always unlikely picks for us.

I've only seen the bare minimum highlights, but the reports are that he is a good roll man - ie good hands, finishes well in traffic.

He does lack the outside shot, but from what's being said he's no Asik either.
‘Small ball’ line up of Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Hunter, Zion could have been cool to see... its small but large at the same time... a team of 6’6 to 6’8 guys flying around the court at once

‘Small ball’ line up of Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Hunter, Zion could have been cool to see... its small but large at the same time... a team of 6’6 to 6’8 guys flying around the court at once

We're going the Jazz route: dare the other team to score 85 on us and hope that everything works out at the other end.

Welcome aboard JJ Reddick and Nicolo Melli!

And Sexual Favors.

I'm surprised about Redick, considering our star incumbent is a shooting guard, we picked up a shooting guard in the Davis trade and then drafted another shooting guard in the first round. Oh, and then there's E'T. Still, you can never have too many shooters, and no doubt the latter will be traded now.

I'm still... digesting... how all this is going to fit together.

Lonzo/Ingram/Zion/Favors or Lonzo/Ingram/Zion/Hayes still doesn't scream great spacing to me, despite the platoon of shooting guards we now have.

Melli and JJ definitely offer shooting, but given they nominally play the same position as our two best players, Zion & Jrue, Gentry has his work cut out in finding balanced rotations for this squad.

Still, it's going to be a fun journey this season.

And Sexual Favors.

I'm surprised about Redick, considering our star incumbent is a shooting guard, we picked up a shooting guard in the Davis trade and then drafted another shooting guard in the first round. Oh, and then there's E'T. Still, you can never have too many shooters, and no doubt the latter will be traded now.

Lonzo/Ingram/Zion/Favors or Lonzo/Ingram/Zion/Hayes still doesn't scream great spacing to me, despite the platoon of shooting guards we now have.

Melli and JJ definitely offer shooting, but given they nominally play the same position as our two best players, Zion & Jrue, Gentry has his work cut out in finding balanced rotations for this squad.

Yes, fun indeed!! I've already seen so many people who have Nawlins down for their league pass next season.

I think this is a playoff challenging team (guaranteed playoff team with JJ? :wink:). It will have it's issues but this is a solid base to begin from, not the finished article. Can't wait for the season to start. Or for the next big announcement!

Yes, fun indeed!! I've already seen so many people who have Nawlins down for their league pass next season.

I think this is a playoff challenging team (guaranteed playoff team with JJ? :wink:). It will have it's issues but this is a solid base to begin from, not the finished article. Can't wait for the season to start. Or for the next big announcement!

The next big announcement will be that the Lakers have decided to spend their cap room on Nerlens Noel, DeMarcus Cousins, Lance Stephenson and JR Smith.

`
And Sexual Favors.

NAW is more of a pg than a SG I think

`

NAW is more of a pg than a SG I think

It's possible.

That Ast/Turnover ratio will need some work, but then again it's really hard to tell much from college games. I like that he can shoot anyway.

We also took a Brazilian SG in the second round, he's on his way to the NBL.

Just watching the recap and that was a seriously impressive summer league debut from Hayes and NAW. Looks like you guys could almost have too much depth.

Lonzo, Reddick, Hart, NAW, Jrue, Jackson, Moore for your guard rotation...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back