Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll say it again - please play him forward this week - we need another target up there - Jake Stringer has had no support all year - we need you up forward Cale!

Have McKernan and Brown. Hookerā€™s more valuable back.

Unfortunately doesnā€™t matter anyway, heā€™s in the Ridiculously Recurring Reinjury squad (RRRS) so will ping a calf or hammy soon.

Was right up there in the bests today IMO. Was caught on the last line 1 on 1 many times today and not only won all of them, he then launched some really good attack on the back of it. A lot of this happened in the 1st where the game was still up for grabs.

Absolutely killed it today. You wouldn't think playing in the wet would suit him given his style of play but somehow he made it work. I was somewhat bemused when he took his man on at one point. Its funny but he's actually moving better than he was last year. I think there's still a few years left in old Cale's tank.

Considering he has absolutely no pace to lose what so ever, and is currently reading the ball as good as he ever was, I don't think age is a factor right now, nor will be for at least until the end of 2021.

Considering he has absolutely no pace to lose what so ever, and is currently reading the ball as good as he ever was, I don't think age is a factor right now, nor will be for at least until the end of 2021.
Heā€™s a star at best and dependable at worst. He deserves to be playing in a finals side. Thereā€™s always next year...

Might be right on Hooker (though I think he covers the ground better than people realise) but I reckon its a common misconception that slow blokes can play on longer. Problem is that if they lose a fraction of the pace they do have they are finished.

Harvey x2 , Bartlett, Bradley, Johnson, McLeod, Burgoyne, Fletcher, Goodes etc. (of 300 game players) were able to go on because they still had pace despite losing a lot of it. On the other hand the likes of Mitchell and Watson become liabilities when they lose what little they have.

Itā€™s all about the reflexes and that first few metres. Hooker is slow when you see him over 10 metres or further, but that doesnā€™t mean his reflexes are gone which is what matters over a few metres when leading / defending somebody whoā€™s leading or reacting to where the ball is going.

You even go back to somebody like Lockett, he couldnā€™t run out of sight on a dark night, but he had lightning quick reflexes and those first few steps gave him all the break he needed over an opponent.

Fletcher never lost his reflexes so even if he didnā€™t have great speed, he got the breaks when he needed to.

Iā€™d say Hooker has his reflexes no problem. If he loses that, like all players, thatā€™ll be what hurts him.

Might be right on Hooker (though I think he covers the ground better than people realise) but I reckon its a common misconception that slow blokes can play on longer. Problem is that if they lose a fraction of the pace they do have they are finished.

Harvey x2 , Bartlett, Bradley, Johnson, McLeod, Burgoyne, Fletcher, Goodes etc. (of 300 game players) were able to go on because they still had pace despite losing a lot of it. On the other hand the likes of Mitchell and Watson become liabilities when they lose what little they have.

I generally agree with your point about it being a bit of a misconception that slow blokes can play on longer.

That being said there are certain factors that help Hooker's chances of playing on for longer. Firstly the role he plays within our team. He basically plays on the biggest and slowest players or alternatively young kids that he can intercept mark on. His game is built on using his size, strength and smarts. Secondly the rest of our defense is pretty quick, especially our smalls. So we are more likely to be in a position to cover for one genuinely slow defender. Thirdly we simply don't have any adequate replacements to defend those 198cm + type defenders based on recent exposed AFL form. Finally he has the versatility to play as a key forward and rely on his contested marking up there. Yes he'd be a defensive liability but honestly is McKernan any better at that aspect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I generally agree with your point about it being a bit of a misconception that slow blokes can play on longer.

That being said there are certain factors that help Hooker's chances of playing on for longer. Firstly the role he plays within our team. He basically plays on the biggest and slowest players or alternatively young kids that he can intercept mark on. His game is built on using his size, strength and smarts. Secondly the rest of our defense is pretty quick, especially our smalls. So we are more likely to be in a position to cover for one genuinely slow defender. Thirdly we simply don't have any adequate replacements to defend those 198cm + type defenders based on recent exposed AFL form. Finally he has the versatility to play as a key forward and rely on his contested marking up there. Yes he'd be a defensive liability but honestly is McKernan any better at that aspect?

My only worry is if he does another hammy or calf, loses some mobility, and can't get to enough contests to have an impact. It's a matter of when, not if, but hopefully we get at least two more quality years out of him.

Absolutely pivotal to our backline and our best defender over the last 10 years. Heck, he could be going down as an Essendon great if he was born in another era.

One of the most underrated champions that we have ever had.

Unfortunately he's coming to an end and its hard to predict when that cliff hits but here's hoping he goes on for another 3 years.

Absolutely pivotal to our backline and our best defender over the last 10 years. Heck, he could be going down as an Essendon great if he was born in another era.

One of the most underrated champions that we have ever had.

Unfortunately he's coming to an end and its hard to predict when that cliff hits but here's hoping he goes on for another 3 years.

Hooker vs Lucas would be an interesting pair to to compare when Hooker hangs up the boots. Both favourites of mine too.

why, what have you got planned for the end of 2021?

Given how often he got separation on the lead when playing as a forward I suspect he's faster than he looks. Also totally agree that just because athleticism isn't the basis of certain players' quality, it doesn't mean they can afford to lose it altogether. Players who can't move are liabilities.

Hooker still looks great though, probably Essendon's best player behind a fit Daniher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back