Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
I think the slight problem if we don’t resign him is, even after having a good year, his trade value would be very low imo. Other teams and recruiters wouldn’t be aware of the leap in improvement he’s made yet imo.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
He still doesn't use it well, constantly misses targets still but he isn't missing by as much this year which correlates to him getting more on target too. Like the rest of his game he has shrunk the edges in so everything's better.

In saying that I would still trade him or let him go. We want to build a premiership list, I don't see him in a premiership 22 in his current role at least. I reckon he would go well a Carlton where they need someone like him for next eight years feeding off Cripps and co or a team with a high percentage of games at the dome where the length of his kick increases his value again.
Nah, you're wrong. He has excellent disposal. There were 4 ports ahead of him for DE last night, 3 of those were defenders. As you note, he also often attempts long kicks, which makes those numbers even better. Hence the high number of metres gained and score involvements.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the slight problem if we don’t resign him is, even after having a good year, his trade value would be very low imo. Other teams and recruiters wouldn’t be aware of the leap in improvement he’s made yet imo.

Nah. Everyone does their homework. I suspect other clubs are as aware of his improved effort this year as they possibly could be.

What may work against us is the form of the recent group of players that we have traded out. Nobody is winning from trading with us over the last couple of years?

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh Dear ... I have never read so much crap in my life ... Go and watch the replay, as I have done. Karl played a very good game, and his kicking was spot on. That pass from deep in the back lines to Wines was great. Only for Wines to put it out on the full with his kick.
BEST
Port Adelaide:
R.Gray, Boak, Lycett, Clurey, Houston, Amon, Burton
6th best player for Port ... what does that tell you..
He stays as far as I am concerned, and is a required player.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh Dear ... I have never read so much crap in my life ... Go and watch the replay, as I have done. Karl played a very good game, and his kicking was spot on. That pass from deep in the back lines to Wines was great. Only for Wines to put it out on the full with his kick.
BEST
Port Adelaide:
R.Gray, Boak, Lycett, Clurey, Houston, Amon, Burton
6th best player for Port ... what does that tell you..
He stays as far as I am concerned, and is a required player.

On the evidence of several good games this season he is a required player. No question and nobody is suggesting otherwise.

Talk is he wants out though. All anyone is saying is they don't want the club putting a deal to him that is better than what the club thinks is fair and reasonable.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On the evidence of several good games this season he is a required player. No question and nobody is suggesting otherwise.

Talk is he wants out though. All anyone is saying is they don't want the club putting a deal to him that is better than what the club thinks is fair and reasonable.
That was end of last season, and he had no Victorian takers for a trade.
And after that he said ...
“The fact that I’m back here, I’m happy here, and I was lucky enough to have another contract at Port Adelaide.
“In terms of goal-setting, I just want to put my best foot forward and lock down a spot in the best 22.”
Amon said walking back in the door at Port Adelaide after requesting a trade wasn’t an issue at all.
“Coming back, it was like nothing had happened really,” he said.
“There’s a great group of boys here and they welcomed me back. It was easy coming back.”

Port will most probably sort this all out at the end of the year.

Nah. Everyone does their homework. I suspect other clubs are as aware of his improved effort this year as they possibly could be.

What may work against us is the form of the recent group of players that we have traded out. Nobody is winning from trading with us over the last couple of years?
Your comment made me think about the last 3 years given we have moved on so many players. here is a list of how we have moved out so many players. As you say we haven't been badly hurt by any of them. Polec and Pittard are playing ok for North, bbut we have covered them. In Red are players who lasted only 12 months.

Retirements Carlile
Delistings... Schulz, Butcher, Colquhoun, O'Shea, Stewart, Rookie - Mitchell
Trade.........
Free Agency

Retirements Krakouer, Monfries
Delistings... Palmer, White, Rookie - Eddy
Trade......... Impey, Ah Chee, Lobbe, Young, Austin
Free Agency Trengove

Retirements Thomas
Delistings... Barry Neade Toumpas
Trade......... Pittard, Polec, Wingard, Hombsch Rookie - Irra (drafted end 2016), Snelling (Hewett cut,redrafted)
Free Agency

The 20 players left from 2016 list of 44 players
Boak, Ryder, Broadbent, Ebert, Hartlett, Robbie, Amon, Wines, Clurey,Dixon
Bonner, Johnson, Howard, DBJ, Frampton, Westhoff, Jonas, Houston, Hewett, S.Gray

2016 players who could be moved on in October
Ryder, Broadbent, Amon, Johnson, Frampton, Westhoff, Hewett,

... Other teams and recruiters wouldn’t be aware of the leap in improvement he’s made yet imo.
Yes they would. Every functional recruiting team in the AFL will know his contact length and salary. And even if they never watch him play will see his Champion Data, Supercoach etc rankings.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d be offering 2 years. We need outside run. If he doesn’t want it, I hope he has a hell of a year, and we get a late first rounder for him

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
too late, i have it on good authority he has already agreed to move to a melbourne club.

his form will mean we might get a decent pick or player swap which is a better result than it would have been last year when we couldn't give him away

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
too late, i have it on good authority he has already agreed to move to a melbourne club.

his form will mean we might get a decent pick or player swap which is a better result than it would have been last year when we couldn't give him away
He's out of contract we will get bugger all for him.

I'm still not convinced with him anyway but even in that scenario all he'll command is the nothing sort of pick 3rd roundish.

If he keeps up his form clubs will fight for him. I’m not convinced either.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes they would. Every functional recruiting team in the AFL will know his contact length and salary. And even if they never watch him play will see his Champion Data, Supercoach etc rankings.
I'm stunned that there are some people who think oppo recruiting consists of their head coach watching 2-3 games of footy a week.

Every club has multiple full timers who pour over vision and stats from every AFL game to give a definitive ranking to every player in the comp. This is used both for oppo analysis and also recruiting.

I’d be offering 2 years. We need outside run. If he doesn’t want it, I hope he has a hell of a year, and we get a late first rounder for him
He's uncontracted, can't even see us getting a 2nd rounder for him.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was great on the wkend and has really toughend up which is great credit to him. Have always had a soft spot for him over coming his childhood problems.
As others have said won't get value if we trade him so hopefully he stays.

agmsy

All Australian
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's a bit of hyperbole in this thread but he's definitely filled the hole that Polec left quite admirably, not to mention unexpectedly.

I'm not sure how much of his trade request last year was him wanting to leave vs the club wanting to offload him. I wouldn't give up on his signature just yet.
“In terms of goal-setting, I just want to put my best foot forward and lock down a spot in the best 22.”
Amon said walking back in the door at Port Adelaide after requesting a trade wasn’t an issue at all.

I figured this was the case. He only managed 6 games last season. Sounds like the classic player who really only wanted to leave for the opportunity to play more senior footy. I assume, in testing the market, he realised that he was being kept out of the side by factors very much within his control, rather than being a good-to-very-good player stuck on a list behind very-good-to-great players.

Still under contract, and at a club with a dearth of outside mids and wings, he seems to have approached claiming a spot in our best 22 with maturity, and it's gone well for him, so far.

I’d be offering 2 years. We need outside run.

I think you have it right. On current form, he adds something we desperately need - outside run, and a beautiful kick.

Now is the right time. We'll get reasonable compensation.

What is reasonable, and how will it help us fill the Amon-shaped (formerly Polec-shaped) hole he will leave in our side?

I wouldn't bank on finding another Duursma in the draft (especially with the second or third rounder we could expect for Amon), and I don't know who is available to replace him in trade or free agency.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I figured this was the case. He only managed 6 games last season. Sounds like the classic player who really only wanted to leave for the opportunity to play more senior footy. I assume, in testing the market, he realised that he was being kept out of the side by factors very much within his control, rather than being a good-to-very-good player stuck on a list behind very-good-to-great players.

Still under contract, and at a club with a dearth of outside mids and wings, he seems to have approached claiming a spot in our best 22 with maturity, and it's gone well for him, so far.

I think you have it right. On current form, he adds something we desperately need - outside run, and a beautiful kick.

What is reasonable, and how will it help us fill the Amon-shaped (formerly Polec-shaped) hole he will leave in our side?

I wouldn't bank on finding another Duursma in the draft (especially with the second or third rounder we could expect for Amon), and I don't know who is available to replace him in trade or free agency.
Tredders said tonight that there isn’t much truth in Amon wanting to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back