Preview North v Pies round 15 pre game thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pendlebury and Sidebottom, as always v us are the ones to do the damage when they have the pill, both should be targets of close attention all night, IF Goldy can at least break even with Grundy, we convert our chances at goalkicking, and bring the pressure like v Tigers, we can beat the pies.

The midfield depth is the only area they have us covered. Massive part of the game obviously, but we can match them.

As much as I’ve loved the physicality of our game lately, I don’t think we can make teams like Collingwood capitulate by bashing them. That was evident against gws. Hopefully Shaw can keep that hardness but also improve the offensive side of our game.

The midfield depth is the only area they have us covered. Massive part of the game obviously, but we can match them.

As much as I’ve loved the physicality of our game lately, I don’t think we can make teams like Collingwood capitulate by bashing them. That was evident against gws. Hopefully Shaw can keep that hardness but also improve the offensive side of our game.
We can match it with intensity, physicality, etc. However our issue is that we just aren't as skillful as top sides like Collingwood, GWS, Geelong.

Skills have been a problem with us for years.

I expect Piggy Greenbucks will go to Cunners. I hope Rhyce has a plan. I’d play Ahern and if Ben is being well held send him forward earlier than they did against GWS.
Agree. Greenwood doesn't play well as a deep defender. Lloyd today got the better of him.

Don’t think our hardness is in question. Our blokes have proven in the last few weeks they’re up for the fight, cracking in as hard as we’ve seen in years. Over to Rhyce.....show us tactical nous.
It definitely has been seen, it very much has to be sustained.

I think we should bash them anyway. (Skillfully!)

Scharenberg for Howe is the obvious change.

Match ups based upon one change for the filth and an unchanged side for us:

Turner, Brown, Thomas

Maynard, Roughead, Scharenberg

Zurhaar, Larkey, Wood
Crisp, Moore, Aish

Atley, Anderson, Polec
Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Hoskin-Elliot

Pittard, Tarrant, McDonald
Thomas, Cox, Mayne

Williams, Durdin, Thompson
DeGoey, Reid, Mihocek

Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington
Grundy, Treloar, Greenwood

Garner, Davies-Uniake, Simpkin, Dumont
Brown, Varcoe, Sier, Phillips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scharenberg for Howe is the obvious change.

Match ups based upon one change for the filth and an unchanged side for us:

Turner, Brown, Thomas
Maynard, Roughead, Scharenberg

Zurhaar, Larkey, Wood
Crisp, Moore, Aish

Atley, Anderson, Polec
Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Hoskin-Elliot

Pittard, Tarrant, McDonald
Thomas, Cox, Mayne

Williams, Durdin, Thompson
DeGoey, Reid, Mihocek

Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington
Grundy, Treloar, Greenwood

Garner, Davies-Uniake, Simpkin, Dumont
Brown, Varcoe, Sier, Phillips

Sounds about right, apart from Williams on De Goey.
Williams will get Thomas or their other small close to goal.
McDonald will get DeGoey.
Scharenberg will take Wood too.

They’ll alternate between playing Sidey on the same wing as Polec, backing him in to have more impact and Mayne play on Polec when we get momentum. This mob bat deep.

Need Simpkin, LDU & Dumont to fire this week.

Because they bat so deep I’d be looking to drop one of our half forwards to and bring in Ahern. We were out on our feet against GWS and it will be the same against Collingwood unless we have more genuine midfield rotations

Because they bat so deep I’d be looking to drop one of our half forwards to and bring in Ahern. We were out on our feet against GWS and it will be the same against Collingwood unless we have more genuine midfield rotations

Why should flankers make way for mids that can't get the job done? I'd be dropping LDU for Ahern, but I don't expect they will. It still wouldn't change much as Ahern is not exactly quick. Dumont is also suspect.

This match is just like the GWS match in the sense that Collingwoods spread will be the difference. Buckley will copy Cameron's game plan.

I expect we will set out to bash them anyway.

Why should flankers make way for mids that can't get the job done? I'd be dropping LDU for Ahern, but I don't expect they will. It still wouldn't change much as Ahern is not exactly quick. Dumont is also suspect.

This match is just like the GWS match in the sense that Collingwoods spread will be the difference. Buckley will copy Cameron's game plan.

Why should mids make way for flankers that can't get the job done, is also an unanswerable question from most of the last 2 years.

Why should mids make way for flankers that can't get the job done, is also an unanswerable question from most of the last 2 years.

It hasn't been an issue since we removed the clown responsible for that.

Last edited:

Having an extra genuine midfielder gives us more flexibility. Allows Ziebell/Cunners/Anderson/Simpkin to rest forward more often.

Ziebell, LDU, Cunnington and Anderson were completely out off their feet half way through the 3rd quarter against GWS, having that extra rotation (who can actually play as a centre square clearance midfielder) over another half forward on the bench simply makes sense to me.

I don't think Luke could go with him on the hard lead at the moment as I reckon he is still hampered by his knee, and it's why I would prefer Marley.

Fair point, but I just don’t think Marley has the size.

Would be a perfect match up for EVW.

His absence has bee significant, both last year and this year.

We definitely need a bit of variety at centre square bounces, Cunners/Ziebell/Jed is pretty predictable, and Buckley will have a strategy for that, I like Tarryn in there now and again, Jy, LDU, Ahern (if selected), they are missing Taylor Adams as a 1st possession player in there too.

Only change Wood for Ahern..
It was out of Wood and Garner, as need more players who can rotate at the coal face. Sorry Wood have a couple of rounds in the twos and come back with that killer instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back