Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
I tried watching SoA but Charlie Hunnam is too pretty to be a bikie and the writers need to be shot or at the very least forced to take a long hard look at themselves.

Charlie Hunnam is just a s**t actor. How did he get the lead in such a huge TV show? His attempts at a cockney accent in Green Street Hooligans makes me weep.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I liked SoA until they ran out of plot lines and characters to kill off. Bikie Game of Thrones really.

Went downhill as Ron Pearlman started going out of it. Also Jax solving every plot problem by belting someone and saying 'I've got this', he must have been the best brawler in America and Ireland.

Lastly, John's diaries never really eventuates.

Charlie Hunnam is just a **** actor. How did he get the lead in such a huge TV show? His attempts at a cockney accent in Green Street Hooligans makes me weep.

He's alright in Triple Fronteir, next to more accomplished actors like Ben Affleck and Oscar Isaac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bought and wore some proper earplugs for the first time ever to a music concert last night.

I felt old but I didn't have tinnitus afterwards so it was worth it.
Have been doing this for years and is probably the only reason I can still hear. Not only does it protect your hearing, if you're in a venue that isn't that great for sound, will make it sounds remarkably better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried watching SoA but Charlie Hunnam is too pretty to be a bikie and the writers need to be shot or at the very least forced to take a long hard look at themselves.
He wrote for the Shield before making Sons, managed to get his wife quite a bit of work out of it too seeing as he cast her Gemma Teller

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was thinking tonight that a lot of us observed the entire lifecycle of the video store.

From not existing anywhere, to the extortionate joining fees and membership waiting lists, to every movie having a nightly fee, to weekly movies, to "better to to the video store on the way home, otherwise we'll be stuck with Ernest goes to the Beach again", to 5 weeklies for $5, to the redbox, to not existing anymore.

I've now got a media server in my cupboard that would be about the same volume as a bowling ball, which probably contains as much viewable material as a medium sized country town video store - and streams it all wirelessly to my TV or tablet on demand.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was thinking tonight that a lot of us observed the entire lifecycle of the video store.

From not existing anywhere, to the extortionate joining fees and membership waiting lists, to every movie having a nightly fee, to weekly movies, to "better to to the video store on the way home, otherwise we'll be stuck with Ernest goes to the Beach again", to 5 weeklies for $5, to the redbox, to not existing anymore.

I've now got a media server in my cupboard that would be about the same volume as a bowling ball, which probably contains as much viewable material as a medium sized country town video store - and streams it all wirelessly to my TV or tablet on demand.

I'm not buying shares in it but..

I don't have 1 media server, I have a fair few hdd's ranging in size (250gb, 500gb, 1tb, 2tb, 3tb, 6tb etc) that's full of my entire dvd collection - 19ish years worth of content :).

I plan on doing the same for the blu-rays I own but NEVER watch (will be the only way I gradually watch them all).

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Video stores were cool.

Friday nights after school, going down to the local Video Ezy with my mate to pick out a few video games and a movie for the weekend ahead. That deflating feeling when you see that the game you really wanted to rent is out of stock. Trying to sneak a cheeky look at the back of the VHS covers for the erotic movies when no adults were around.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We won't have observed the same whole lifecycle, but driver less cars in 50 years kids being born in the 2020's onwards will go 'What? You wasted your own time and got stressed drively yourself around everywhere?!?'. Driving cars will be just for those that enjoy it, with it eventually reaching the point human driven cars won't be allowed on main roads during peak times to stuff up traffic flows. Around 100 years from driven cars becoming (in the West) something everyone has and used to a novelty.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Won't belong before discs are obsolete. CDs were launched in the early 80s and were the primary medium from probably the mid to late 80s through until the early 2000s. DVDs came out in the late 90s and replaced VHS pretty quickly. Blu-ray has been out for 13 years now and annual disc sales have halved over the last 5 years globally. Other than console games (which you can download also) I don't know of anyone that buys discs for anything. The format may have further improvement in it but portable media is dying fast as a concept. The idea of putting something into a machine to listen to or watch on the screen will be something people won't be familiar with before long.

My tech memories of the late 80s and early 90s was CD players and microwave ovens. Those were the things that were common enough but not everyone had. Now you can get a microwave for about $60 and CD players like CRT monitors end up in landfill.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Won't belong before discs are obsolete. CDs were launched in the early 80s and were the primary medium from probably the mid to late 80s through until the early 2000s. DVDs came out in the late 90s and replaced VHS pretty quickly. Blu-ray has been out for 13 years now and annual disc sales have halved over the last 5 years globally. Other than console games (which you can download also) I don't know of anyone that buys discs for anything. The format may have further improvement in it but portable media is dying fast as a concept. The idea of putting something into a machine to listen to or watch on the screen will be something people won't be familiar with before long.

My tech memories of the late 80s and early 90s was CD players and microwave ovens. Those were the things that were common enough but not everyone had. Now you can get a microwave for about $60 and CD players like CRT monitors end up in landfill.
I make my dad a new CD every month. He loves them, but they're quickly taking up space at home.

It's also very difficult to find CD cases/wallets these days too.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I make my dad a new CD every month. He loves them, but they're quickly taking up space at home.

It's also very difficult to find CD cases/wallets these days too.

Old people love CDs. My old man has gone records, cassettes, CDs in his lifetime and never had any difficulty with the change of format.

Digital media is different though, there's nothing physical you can touch. I don't think people older than 60 trust it.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Old people love CDs. My old man has gone records, cassettes, CDs in his lifetime and never had any difficulty with the change of format.

Digital media is different though, there's nothing physical you can touch. I don't think people older than 60 trust it.
My dad is exactly the same, he's 67. Still has his vinyls - about 300 - and a lot of his cassettes. He loves the CDs though.

Thought about introducing him to Spotify but I reckon he'd struggle to grasp it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back