Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a more serious indepth investigation would need to take place, and out of AFL hands as they can't be trusted to handle it.

If it got up, did he actively make sure it did?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No, Stephenson didn’t play in a manner to influence the result of his bets according to a lengthy investigation into literally every possession he had over the time period. Seems far more likely that a dumb kid made dumb bets until he (finally) had a lightbulb moment courtesy of a senior teammate telling him to stop being a dumb kid making dumb bets and turn himself in.

No, Stephenson didn’t play in a manner to influence the result of his bets according to a lengthy investigation into literally every possession he had over the time period.
I think that is the bigger scandal. If he bet on himself to kick goals and he wasn't trying to influence the result of his bet, that means he wasn't trying to kick goals. They really should think twice about bringing him back if he is not even trying.

I don't see any problems with players betting on themselves to win or kick goals. It's only when you bet on the opposition, which is match fixing. In horse racing, jockeys, trainers and connections are allowed to bet on their own horses.

I don't see any problems with players betting on themselves to win or kick goals. It's only when you bet on the opposition, which is match fixing. In horse racing, jockeys, trainers and connections are allowed to bet on their own horses.

Of course it’s a huge problem either way. I’m pretty sure a coach would be pissed if he had a player ignoring team rules trying to kick the extra goal he needs personally.

mate, have a think about what you've written.
there are other options than pure win / loss.

Key issue in racing is that Jockeys/trainers set themselves to win certain races and aren't really trying in preceding races a optimise odds for future races. The general public don't have this information. It's why it is a mugs game.

If I had just placed a bet on Stephenson to kick 2 goals in a game, I would have liked to know Stephenson had himself down for 3. I wouldn't have placed the bet. His actions compromise numerous other bets. It is why the 10 weeks is inadequate.

After listening to Geoff Walsh on 3AW today lets get one thing straight - Stephenson did not self report.
The aggression and arrogance shown by Walsh in dodging the question was farcical.
Both Collingwood and the AFL are complicit and would not have been unchallenged as such in any other major sporting league in the world.

He shouldn’t play again this year. Sounds like the AFL wanted that penalty but Pies negotiated a better outcome. Probably due to them wanting to take things further should he have copped a bigger ban.

I’d like to know the exact bets but that info isn’t coming out. It’d probably having some punters wanting a refund on particular bets. Bringing more heat on everyone involved.

If there was any suggestion he was trying to actual fix a result, he would be being investigated further by the authorities.
Bullshit. Once upon a time my club actually did fix results and all we got was a $50,000 fine that we didn't even pay and a "guilty of being disreputable" letter that we chucked in the bin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

********. Once upon a time my club actually did fix results and all we got was a $50,000 fine that we didn't even pay and a "guilty of being disreputable" letter that we chucked in the bin.

Good point, several Dees officials were actively trying to lose. That’s match fixing isn’t it?

Who knows how many bets Stephenson actually did, but if it is only the 3 multi’s then it’s pretty hard to influence all several other factors.

A more effective way to bet would’ve been him to kick 1 goal. Pretty easy for a player to deliberately miss simple shots in front of goal and blame it on a bad day.

well they cant ban your whole team
Well they could- but then they'd need to ban your team and a few others as well. And then people wouldn't have anything to bet on.

Wouldn't have been too difficult to come down harder on the people responsible though.

********. Once upon a time my club actually did fix results and all we got was a $50,000 fine that we didn't even pay and a "guilty of being disreputable" letter that we chucked in the bin.
There was no link at the time between what Melbourne were doing and gambling.

Melbourne took advantage of the AFL rules in place at the time with the priority pick. If any Dees coaching staff was found to be betting on games during this time they would have been in trouble.

Stephenson just put a couple of multis on, an idiot, nothing more to it.

There was no link at the time between what Melbourne were doing and gambling.
You mean aside from the millions of dollars that are spent on gambling on AFL results?

I'm not suggesting Stephenson was match fixing, just that even if he did the AFL would never let it out.

So I’ve just found out the truth behind the story and it’s interesting to know what’s covered up etc.

So Jaidyn was using his mates phone to bet and he was overheard by Howe talking to his mate about the bets.
Howe said own up or I’ll tell them.

He never confided in Howe at all and they aren’t exactly on speaking terms.

So I’ve just found out the truth behind the story and it’s interesting to know what’s covered up etc.

So Jaidyn was using his mates phone to bet and he was overheard by Howe talking to his mate about the bets.

Confirming what most people realise: He's an idiot.

He's also a very naughty boy.

Would the punishment be the same if the multi got up? Serious question.
I honestly don't think we would have heard about it. Remember the only reason we know about this now is because he was sooking after the game about one of the legs not getting up. If it did get up there's always the chance he might have gloated instead but the smarter play would be to just shut up, be super happy in the change room, and everyone would just assume you were happy for the win.

Makes you wonder how many other times he's actually done it in the background and had it go under the radar, really...

edit:

Ha, well that's interesting. This guy gets stupider and stupider as the real story comes out.

If you believe them and it was only $36, then if i was a pie supporter id be filthy with howe for pressuring him to own up. If it was only $36, and he has no gambling issue, surely a leader would have helped him cover it up.

No way it was $36 bets, why doesnt the Afl release the full details? Ofc they're hiding something. As i said b4 he's lucky with 10 weeks. Hope the full story comes out one day.
We are meant to believe that these guys with huge incomes combined with gambling problems and a reputation for stupidly large bets on horses are just throwing tiny shits and giggles bets on the AFL matches they get caught for.

This self reporting is simply the least damaging bets being made public and even then on what has been shown with Stephenson he should have been facing 2 years IMO.

Howe is coming out of this story in a better light than he was before it. Not easy to be unpopular and do the right thing.

No, Stephenson didn’t play in a manner to influence the result of his bets according to a lengthy investigation into literally every possession he had over the time period. Seems far more likely that a dumb kid made dumb bets until he (finally) had a lightbulb moment courtesy of a senior teammate telling him to stop being a dumb kid making dumb bets and turn himself in.
The same investigation team that found Essendon not guilty of systematic doping? Melbourne not guilty of tanking?

Let's look at this analytically.
Why do we bet? To win money.
What kind of bets would you place? On results your head/gut tells you.

If he was just having a bet, nothing more to it, you would put it on a simple head-to-head, or single bet.

Stephenson puts a multi on things he must think are good chances of getting up, whether he played naturally or not, and to boost the payout for the winnings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back