Toast ASHLEIGH BARTY, Wins Birmingham 6-3, 7-5, new World #1 !! (with poll)

Can Ash go on to win Wimbledon 2019?

• Yes, GO Ash!

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • No, not this year, but soon.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
My soccer following is very very limited - if I realise an Adel Utd game is on I'll watch it but I never care if I miss it - don't have a European team at all.

As for bagging Barty's achievement, I did no such thing. If I knew this was a tennis thread I would've stayed out of it but I didn't know who Ashleigh Barty was so I clicked the linK. Saw tennis and then golf clip and just laughed

Sorry if thay annoyed you but maybe a tag indicating the thread isn't footy? I keep out of the cricket threads for similar reasons

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
As for bagging Barty's achievement, I did no such thing. If I knew this was a tennis thread I would've stayed out of it but I didn't know who Ashleigh Barty was so I clicked the linK. Saw tennis and then golf clip and just laughed.
Sorry if thay annoyed you but maybe a tag indicating the thread isn't footy? I keep out of the cricket threads for similar reasons
I checked with a Mod before I started the thread, and the first sentence explains clearly what it's about. It's absolutely ok if you have no interest in tennis or golf or cricket, but in that case you had no good reason to post derisively at all. However ...
Thanks for trying to explain.
I think :think:.
I am confused about what kind of media-free bubble you live in that you didn't hear any TV/radio/online News/friends' or coworkers' comments about Barty and her wonderful French Open win. Grand Slam singles wins by Aussies are extremely rare, because the competition is so tough. Have you heard about Nick Kyrgios or Bernard Tomic? That would be most likely because of their disgraceful behaviour on- and off-court which is a National embarrassment.
Barty is a Champion in every sense of the word --- she is to Australian tennis what Betts is to the AFL, although maybe not as dazzlingly mercurial. Just talented and hard-working, a competitor with the tenacious toughness of Hewitt, but the grace, modesty and humility of Goolagong-Cawley, her idol and 'sister'.
A quiet achiever, and what an achievement!

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
It's a huge achievement no doubt - sorry for the flippant and derisive response, I don't care for tennis and I guess my filter was off when the I read the thread. I had never heard of Ashleigh Barty as I dont like tennis, do not own a tv, and bigfooty is literally the only social media i interact with - so i opened the thread not expecting tennis

Didn't mean to offend but I can see why i came across poorly

Sensational!!!

Now maybe the sporting press will ignore those other two ****** and give all the attention to someone who really deserves it.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just saw a YouTube video of Barty's French Open highlights and her post-match interview.
Not only is she currently the number 1 tennis player right now, but in my opinion the number 1 humblest Australian athlete.
Here's a video any tennis fan or even Australian sporting fans should watch regarding her character:

Didn't even know she stopped playing tennis for a short while and she was playing BBL cricket during the tennis-layoff!

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Says the guy who follows soccer.
Oh look 90 minutes and no score. What a game.
I'm with shady pub musician, tennis and golf players are so thin skinned, cant bare any crowd noise.

And Birmingham? Sounds like a grand slam, the way everyone's carrying on Bout it.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm with shady pub musician, tennis and golf players are so thin skinned, cant bare any crowd noise.

And Birmingham? Sounds like a grand slam, the way everyone's carrying on Bout it.
The mention of Birmingham is the location in which we have a current number one in female tennis.

You need to understand some perspective:
- Brownlow awards and premierships happen yearly (the pinnacle of AFL)
- Australian female reaching number one in tennis happens around every 50 years

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it bares mentioning that right now 4 of Australia's brightest sporting stars are all women.

Ash Barty (world # 1 tennis Player), Sam Kerr (Top 3 best Soccer player in the world), Erin Phillips (List of achievements too long to list) and Sally Fitzgibbons (Surfing world #1).

I think its amazing that they are so talented, driven and humble. Incredible role models for young Australian's!

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I think it bares mentioning that right now 4 of Australia's brightest sporting stars are all women.
Ash Barty (world # 1 tennis Player), Sam Kerr (Top 3 best Soccer player in the world), Erin Phillips (List of achievements too long to list) and Sally Fitzgibbons (Surfing world #1).
I think its amazing that they are so talented, driven and humble. Incredible role models for young Australian's!
Great post :thumbsu:
Aussie women excel in a wide range of sports/events.
Cliff Diving is not a high-profile sport, but Rhiannan Iffland is 2019 World Champion; fourth consecutive title, I believe.
World Champion/World #1, best in the world, incredible.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great post :thumbsu:
Aussie women excel in a wide range of sports/events.
Cliff Diving is not a high-profile sport, but Rhiannan Iffland is 2019 World Champion; fourth consecutive title, I believe.
World Champion/World #1, best in the world, incredible.
Thats super impressive, i'm not into the sport personally so I hadn't seen her perform. But to be the best in the world at any sport is phenomenal!

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Barty's rise to #1 female tennis player in the world is on the back of points from her win at Birmingham (which is not a Grand Slam, you're right).
IN THE WORLD, mate, which only four other Australians have ever done (Goolagong-Cawley, Newcombe, Rafter, Hewitt) and as John Who pointed out, the only other Australian female was in 1976).

We love our Crows, all of us, but please open your eyes and mind to Barty's extraordinary achievement.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
But to be the best in the world at any sport is phenomenal!
This!
Heather McKay (Squash) is another who comes to mind; widely regarded as the best female Squash player, ever. They (mentioned by Betts are off) all have several qualities in common:
--- elite fitness and skill
--- determination/ grit/ resolve, tempered by humility
--- first class grace under pressure
--- respect for their sport and their opponents.
I'm struggling to think of many male Australian World Champion/ #1 with all of those same qualities. Pat Rafter. Mick Fanning. Newcombe, way back. Steve Hooker. Kyle Chalmers/Ian Thorpe.
Federer/Nadal are right up there, but Swiss/Spanish.

No matter. Barty is a role model for us all and pure OZ, to her core.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
... so I hadn't seen her perform
Google her last jump to win the 2019 title, especially the slo-mo replay. It's awesome.
One wrong roll, twist or turn and a bellyflop or backflop would be disastrous, but all Champions risk long-term injury. Iffland is doing about 90Kph when she hits the water! :oops: *shudder*

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
P.S. Hannah Green just won the US PGA title by a stroke,
AND
Sally Fitzgibbons (surfing) has just risen to World #1.
Congrats to both!

What a star Ash is. Tomic and Kyrigios take note on how this girl conducts herself both on and off the court.
they are so full of themselves that i'd guess they wouldn't even know who she is

Back