Autopsy Geelong lose to Port by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you expect us to not look like we are under more pressure than the opposition when we play poor football??

Everyone who looses matches or plays poor looks under immense pressure. That's modern day football.

So what about the immense finals like pressure we applied that buckled Collingwood at the MCG?? or the finals like pressure that choked west coast badly by 10 goals?? Or the finals pressure that choked Adelaide in Adelaide??

The logic seems to be very hypocritical on this board.

When Geelong applies great pressure and beats opposition that isnt really finals pressure, but when Geelong loose a game that's apparently the real finals pressure. Not all the other games

I don't mind what you're saying, but my post was more about conquering the post-bye blues, AND the finals pressure which will attend...hopefully in a qualifying final.

Yes, the Cats have "brought it" at stages this year, which is why they are atop the ladder at 11-2.

But they are yet to "bring it" post-bye, which is an area I feel needs to be addressed prior to finals.

Not to be a spelling/grammar Nazi, but in the context you're posting, it's "lose", rather than "loose".

Again, not disputing what you're saying; more providing a bit of context for where I'm coming from.

Perhaps next year Scott shouldn’t give the players a break and they keep training right through the bye weekend. They were still in holiday mode last night.

It will need to be a lot sooner than that. Geelong will play finals and, along with everyone else, have the pre-finals bye.

The pre-finals bye has been in place for 3 seasons so far. The first year, we fell over the line against a Hawthorn side that were much worse than Geelong were at the time, it was only Smith's missed shot that allowed Geelong to win. 2017 and 2018 we got smashed in both encounters by eventual premiers Richmond and Melbourne who made it to a prelim before getting belted.

Geelong will finish top two this year. I'm confident they would ordinarily beat whoever they are up against at the MCG, Victoria or non-Victorian in that first week, I'm not confident in them doing it after the bye.

I thought last night would be different with the revamped forward line this season. Just more of the same s**t in the end.

Perhaps next year Scott shouldn’t give the players a break and they keep training right through the bye weekend. They were still in holiday mode last night.
Perhaps next year we are 5-6 or 4-7 and it doesn't matter as much. We have become allergic to losing (forget the bye) after being spoiled yet again. MM said during the week we do not represent a true 11-1 team in his experience, and there was a lot of angst about his comment. Maybe he is on the $.

Take off your blindfold mate. We may as well draft Rob De Castella
Deek was one of my all time heroes. What he got out of his body was simply awesome. He made himself the physique of a marathoner, beat the world, and now hovers at a healthy 15 kg heavier.

Does it include shots that didn't score ie out on the full, didn't make the distance or the times they could have had a shot but tried to give it off and ****** it up?
Yes to the former, no to the latter.

Deek was one of my all time heroes. What he got out of his body was simply awesome. He made himself the physique of a marathoner, beat the world, and now hovers at a healthy 15 kg heavier.
I will always remember this little spot in the background on TV that spot being Deeks starting his run down of Akanga (spelling)at the Commonwealth games Brisbane 82.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is how much of it was us being off and how much was the opposition studdiing what we have been doing. Listened to a interview with a Port player .. and he said they were very focused on not having 2 up and having equal numbers around the ball etc. I still think thats all good but if our midfield had given Hawkins enough quick clean chances ..I like his chances 1o1.
It was quite noticeable we didn’t do that well last night, and something we’ve been doing really well previously. Not sure why it happened last night but we regularly had 2 or more of our blokes flying against each other and letting them take it away at ground level. Mostly in between the arcs. Just didn’t the setups right all night. With Sav under a long ball we can trust that he will generally at least bring the ball to ground without needing help in the air for example.

It was quite noticeable we didn’t do that well last night, and something we’ve been doing really well previously. Not sure why it happened last night but we regularly had 2 or more of our blokes flying against each other and letting them take it away at ground level. Mostly in between the arcs. Just didn’t the setups right all night. With Sav under a long ball we can trust that he will generally at least bring the ball to ground without needing help in the air for example.

On more than a few occasions you'd see a pack fly for the ball, with 3 or 4 Port players at ground level facing the contest and waiting for the spillage, with not a Cat to be seen amongst them.

Perhaps next year we are 5-6 or 4-7 and it doesn't matter as much. We have become allergic to losing (forget the bye) after being spoiled yet again. MM said during the week we do not represent a true 11-1 team in his experience, and there was a lot of angst about his comment. Maybe he is on the $.
It's quite obvious he meant that we were more like an 11-2 team.:)

It's not a matter of needing to win every week. This specific week was important because it served as an indicator for how well they may play coming off a bye into finals and to show how different this side was from previous iterations under Scott. How much has really changed? And it would seem the answer is not a whole lot. Still the same post-bye malaise, still the same wilting under pressure. Some in the gameday thread suggested, for some reason, that this was Port's grand final. Well, if that was a grand final, or any final, we would have had our pants pulled down, again.

That was an important game for the coaching staff to get right, and they failed. It says a lot about their capacity to effect real change with this group and actually attain tangible success.
Cant help but agree - if we can't play at our best after a week off we will be screwed (again) in finals. It's not like they haven't had multiple opportunities to try and rectify this - what are we up to now? 8 fails following a bye? Just sayin' :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Krueger for mine. Looks like a game changer if chips are down. Buzz I have very little confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have yet to see Krueger play but based on the stats of his past two games he looks like he could be a regular goal scorer for us.

Can he play a ruck/forward role though? I can't see Abbott, Fort or Smith playing the "forward" part of that role.

I have yet to see Krueger play but based on the stats of his past two games he looks like he could be a regular goal scorer for us.

Can he play a ruck/forward role though? I can't see Abbott, Fort or Smith playing the "forward" part of that role.

No he can't.
He's a Rohan type forward, third tall whose good in the air and on the ground.

It will need to be a lot sooner than that. Geelong will play finals and, along with everyone else, have the pre-finals bye.

The pre-finals bye has been in place for 3 seasons so far. The first year, we fell over the line against a Hawthorn side that were much worse than Geelong were at the time, it was only Smith's missed shot that allowed Geelong to win. 2017 and 2018 we got smashed in both encounters by eventual premiers Richmond and Melbourne who made it to a prelim before getting belted.

Geelong will finish top two this year. I'm confident they would ordinarily beat whoever they are up against at the MCG, Victoria or non-Victorian in that first week, I'm not confident in them doing it after the bye.

I thought last night would be different with the revamped forward line this season. Just more of the same **** in the end.
Fair enough, but I am thinking ( hoping) that a bye mid season is managed differently than a bye prior to finals. Mid year, I can see players toddling off and having a break whereas before a finals campaign we should expect the training will be up tempo and focussed. Time will tell.
Fair to say that last night's effort has done little to release that post bye pressure and scrutiny.

A lot of talk about how Port 'just needed to kick straight' and suddenly we're flogged. Consider me and the shot plot at least mildly sceptical of this "wisdom".

View attachment 697200

Port kicked nine goals, seven behinds + six rushed.

Geelong kicked eight goals, eight behinds + no rushed.

That still suggests some errant kicking, right?

When people talk about the goals the other team missed, they rarely talk about the reverse it seems.
What about the ones we missed?
When you look at that, the 11 point margin is fair.

When people talk about the goals the other team missed, they rarely talk about the reverse it seems.
What about the ones we missed?
When you look at that, the 11 point margin is fair.

That is why I included our kicks for goal in my post.

Port is not a big goal kicking side. Since their injuries, their small forwards are leading their goal kicking.

Obviously, if we'd kicked straight too, we might have won.

Landgraft said: "A lot of talk about how Port 'just needed to kick straight' and suddenly we're flogged. Consider me and the shot plot at least mildly sceptical of this "wisdom".

The same could be said about Geelong kicking straight with another eight goals + we'd have flogged Port.

Port is not a big goal kicking side. Since their injuries, their small forwards are leading their goal kicking.

Landgraft said: "A lot of talk about how Port 'just needed to kick straight' and suddenly we're flogged. Consider me and the shot plot at least mildly sceptical of this "wisdom".

The same could be said about Geelong kicking straight with another eight goals + we'd have flogged Port.
Agree 100%.:thumbsu:

Who were the Port thug players who punched Taylor + took out Rohan? What was the other feral thuggy incident? Henry?

Cannot find one article about any of the incidents.

Sometimes you'd swear rushed behinds don't exist and all shots are equal the way people read the scoresheet and extrapolate from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back