Random Discussion Thread 141- Powered by <redacted>

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are free to spend money how they like.

Apparently not-

Israel Folau's online campaign to raise money for his legal fight against Rugby Australia has been shut down.
GoFundMe Australia has taken down Folau's page - which had raised more than $750,000 of a $3 million target - and will issue refunds to all of the more than 7,000 donors.

On the one hand outrageous and beyond belief
On the other (and given the current political climate) not surprising at all

Apparently not-

Israel Folau's online campaign to raise money for his legal fight against Rugby Australia has been shut down.
GoFundMe Australia has taken down Folau's page - which had raised more than $750,000 of a $3 million target - and will issue refunds to all of the more than 7,000 donors.

It breached GoFundMe's T&C's according to what I read. So fair enough.

Apparently not-

It was a violation of GoFundMe's terms and services, so they were well within their right to pull it down

According to the terms and conditions on the website, users may not attempt to raise money “for the legal defence of … intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity, or serious disabilities or diseases”.

So if Folau wants to raise money now, best pass the collection plate around at church

It breached GoFundMe's T&C's according to what I read. So fair enough.

It was a violation of GoFundMe's terms and services, so they were well within their right to pull it down

So if Folau wants to raise money now, best pass the collection plate around at church

The dice are loaded
And they’re not playing with a straight bat
It’s about silencing and Indefensible

It's completely defensible. They're a private entity and they are entitled to solicit (and reject) business from whomever they choose. It's a free country, is it not?

free_speech.png

Ahhh, “it doesn’t mean that anyone else has to listen to your bs etc”

Folaus gofundme had $700 000 in donations (so far)
Disingenuous much??

See above, it's a private organisation and they can conduct business as they see fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See above, it's a private organisation and they can conduct business as they see fit.
On this though, I will say that just because they can do this, doesn't necessarily mean that they should.
I think its almost more powerful/useful to continuously expose these people for their ridiculous views on open platforms. When bigots get de-platformed they become martyrs and only strengthen in their bigotry with their base. If you wish to eradicate bigotry, you need to be in dialog with bigots.

There is also the slippery slope argument (that I'm not always a fan of) of where do we draw the line of what is de-platforming worthy ? At what stage does an unpopular opinion become something that you lose your job over.

I am mainly playing Devils advocate here, and don't really have an issue with Folau being banned

On this though, I will say that just because they can do this, doesn't necessarily mean that they should.
I think its almost more powerful/useful to continuously expose these people for their ridiculous views on open platforms. When bigots get de-platformed they become martyrs and only strengthen in their bigotry with their base. If you wish to eradicate bigotry, you need to be in dialog with bigots.

There is also the slippery slope argument (that I'm not always a fan of) of where do we draw the line of what is de-platforming worthy ? At what stage does an unpopular opinion become something that you lose your job over.

I am mainly playing Devils advocate here, and don't really have an issue with Folau being banned
I personally think gofundme (and others like it) should be a little more rigorous in their approval of campaigns is they want to maintain credibility. There's a bunch of crap on there that goes unchallenged.

I personally think gofundme (and others like it) should be a little more rigorous in their approval of campaigns is they want to maintain credibility. There's a bunch of crap on there that goes unchallenged.

It’s the same as any platform that has a public facing component, Bigfooty included.

Unless you have someone sitting there approving posts things will slip through. You are relying on people reporting stuff and bringing it to a moderators attention.

Chris Judd, footy classified, last Monday-

“I don’t think it is an easy fix to say that theirs going to be one person that’s going to be an overlord and gonna say what is and isn’t offensive. I think thats a really tricky place to be”

Who decides what’s “crap” and what isn’t ?
One mans crap is another mans treasure

In a sense no different to the vardy (I think it was vardy)comment last week
Gaff misses grand final
Brayshaw broken jaw
It’s bleak for all involved

6 months later vardy makes a (bad/ someone will always be offended) joke
The thing is, the ability to laugh at the worst of circumstances is IMO a part of our Aus culture that was previously hugely beneficial. Getting over. Survival
And a sign of intelligence.

To actively undermine that (for fear of offending someone etc)- not good!!

Once again Chris Judd, last Monday-

“Yes, but we are searching for this utopian world where everyone goes and claps politely and says nice things”

In other words soulless
Automatons

And we really shouldn’t be cheering that on

Last edited:
Thanks vish.

Was just driving by the stadium and there’s a lot of meathead type operators in too tight maroon or blue shirts milling around. Completely forgot SoO was on tonight, I’ll have to watch it now just to see what the stadium looks like for rugby. Seems like a good atmosphere.
Atmosphere was great, I enjoyed it despite not being a massive rugby league fan

Was surprised they broke the record given the weather. Looked like plenty of empty seats when the rain came down too.
I was there and the figure doesn't seem at all inflated. Most people retreated to the concourses when the rain started but the place was absolutely jam packed at kick off. Only individual seats left and you could almost count them on both hands

It was in the rectangular configuration too right? Which adds a few thousand seats.
No it wasn't, they seem to have scrapped the rectangle configuration due to issues with people in row 1 not being able to see past the touchline LED fences at the NRL double header last year. It hasn't been used since and if there ever was an opportunity to use it again, it was last night.

If it doesn't get wheeled out for the Man United games then I would think they've canned it, which is a shame.

Last edited:
No it wasn't, they seem to have scrapped the rectangle configuration due to issues with people in row 1 not being able to see past the touchline LED fences at the NRL double header last year. It hasn't been used since and if there ever was an opportunity to use it again, it was last night.

If it doesn't get wheeled out for the Man United games then I would think they've canned it, which is a shame.
Interesting. Seems silly to have the fence at the first row in the normal setup so high if they hadn't properly developed it to suit temporary seats for rectangular sports.

Interesting. Seems silly to have the fence at the first row in the normal setup so high if they hadn't properly developed it to suit temporary seats for rectangular sports.
It's more because the NRL insists on having those physical LED fences right at the touchline of the rectangle pitch, rather than just having them superimposed like they do for soccer.

The attendances for both the Chelsea game and A-League GF were both ~55k so the extra seats weren't necessary. One would think that United will draw a bigger crowd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back